Ailron throw/differential

Hi guys,

I've asked this before over on another forum but you can't seem to get a clear answer from the guys across the pond so i'll see how you guys do it.

Aileron throw and differential: Basic set up on the bench

So, for this example, lets say in a flight mode with the ailerons level with the centre tab i have 10mm up and 8mm down throw. (lets call this cruise mode) Now, if my thermal mode is 2mm down do i adjust the differential in my radio for that mode to keep the 8mm down, or do i just set one differential in cruise mode and let each other mode fall where they will, in the thermal mode the ailerons will now drop to 10mm down?.

I'm thinking i want to adjust diff in each flight mode to stop the down aileron going past 8mm? 

Mark

3 hours ago, i_am_mark_evans said:

I'm thinking i want to adjust diff in each flight mode to stop the down aileron going past 8mm? 

For an initial set-up, I would adjust the ailerons in your 'level with the centre tab' case and leave that differential the same for all modes.  If you go to another mode which adds camber the wing by dropping the flapperons 2mm say, the down-going aileron with now get to about 10mm down and the up-going one to about 8mm up using your 10 up, 8 down example.

Deciding how much differential to use is another topic!

I set-up for equal up and down travel in all flight modes (aka flight 'phases') but I find that I need to adjust the differential on my transmitter to achieve this.  This effect is due to the geometry of the linkage not being symmetrical about aileron zero (to get lots of 'down' for brakes).  So zero differential is when the aileron travel is symmetric, not when it says differential = zero on the transmitter screen.

Some transmitters will allow you to use a different throw AND a different differential in each flight mode - that would be a lot of work to perfect.  I haven't tried that yet - I have always spent my time trying to fly smoothly and find lift consistently - not got that sorted yet either!

(Please note I haven't mentioned mixing rudder with aileron or vice versa - and you could vary those from mode to mode!  I keep the controls separate and use both to interfere with the flight)

Thanks Mike,

What I shall do then for this fresh set up is on my DX9, in travel page I have values set to give me 12mm up and 30mm down (max down I can get due to the way I set the linkage up)

Then in differential setting page I will dial in a value to bring the down going aileron up to 12mm also. So now aileron throw is 12mm up/down.

I will keep this diff value the same across all flight modes for now, so if adding some camber in thermal mode causes more down going aileron then I shall just leave that alone for now. If in the thermal mode I need to adjust the diff in tx to keep it only going 12mm down I will do so after flight testing. 

Sound good? 

Richard Swindells

In all honesty, the difference is subtle. I doubt most (any?) pilots could notice much difference between a couple of MM differential on a DLG when thermalling.

For models where roll efficiency is critical  or any aileron induced pitching effect needs to be minimised then it becomes a more critical parameter (aerobatics, f3f, f3b etc) 

I set my differential visually on what "looks about right" and rarely change it.

BUT when I deploy my brakes , i do increase differential linearly (depending on the amount of brake) up to about 150 - 180% so that I retain full roll control when coming in to land 

Thanks Richard,

Definitely at my skill level I certainly wouldn't be able to tell the difference so ill go with a nice simple set up across all flight modes.

I was surprised Saturday when you said you set up visually, although I'm sure your experience comes into play here when doing it that way =)

At full flaps I have 100% diff so ailerons only move up, and I have full rudder to aileron mixing with full flap too for steering it in on just the aileron stick (left handed thrower) 

Mark