Sign in to follow this  
Eryk

Transport box for F3x models

Eryk

Hey everyone!

A question most likely for F3x competitors, what type of boxes do you use to get your models on a plane, or what have you seen in use?

I've been trying to find something big enough to take a few F3K size planes, but not dramatically expensive neither. I looked at the type of transport box Hyperflight is selling, though it doesn't fill me with confidence as to the strength of one (selling a damaged box at half price now). I thought of adapting one of the Ski plastic boxes that can accommodate up to 4/5 sets of skis, but getting one big enough in UK, not to mention the price, is giving me a headache. I'm not desperate for one yet, but by next year I will.

Thanks for help in advance

Eryk

EssexBOF

I have a box that may be of use that I use to transport F5j models by air. Made from 10mm corex, light but strong.

Eryk

Could you post some pictures on its construction? I'm quite curious how the sheets are holding up together.

pete beadle

Hi Eryk

You specifically state your need to transport your box in aircraft, that moves the cost implications to the top of the queue

I have a wooden F3X box that I was considering giving away, until I realised that I'd be doing no-one any favours by doing so, purely because of the box's weight

The introduction of Correx into the now no.1 material for carry boxes is basically for its strength to weight ratio - if you are travelling by car or coach wood is fine, once you're looking at cost/weight ratio in air transport a whole new ballgame presents

So, for your particular needs it's Correx all the way IMHO

Joining up the boards to make a box is usually done by using strong, high-tack tape, strengthening things like the corners usually plastic or nylon bolts do the trick

Please remember though you MUST have internal foam packing in your box, tailored to fit to prevent movement within the box, and separation of the models parts from the outer casing and themselves, anyone that has seen badly packed glass-fibre or high impact plastic boxes, roof or carrier mounted, will be AMAZED at the damage vibration transferred through the box, and unrestricted movement and vibration within the box, can do.......

Regards and good luck

Pete

BARCS1702 

oipigface
20 hours ago, Eryk said:

Hey everyone!

A question most likely for F3x competitors, what type of boxes do you use to get your models on a plane, or what have you seen in use?

I've been trying to find something big enough to take a few F3K size planes, but not dramatically expensive neither. I looked at the type of transport box Hyperflight is selling, though it doesn't fill me with confidence as to the strength of one (selling a damaged box at half price now). I thought of adapting one of the Ski plastic boxes that can accommodate up to 4/5 sets of skis, but getting one big enough in UK, not to mention the price, is giving me a headache. I'm not desperate for one yet, but by next year I will.

Thanks for help in advance

Eryk

I (and many other F3F competitors) use a ski box called a Sportube3, which will carry two F3F models comfortably, and three with a bit of a squeeze. Lots of places sell them, so Google it for a good price. Before you spend any money, do check the current airline regulations on weights and sizes. They change frequently.

TonyHickson

I've got one of the Hyperflight boxes. Fits 2 DLGs easily, reckon it would take 3. Only one trip so far (Italy) but so far so good. Took a bit of a dent on the way back, but only cosmetic. I used my clothes and a load of bubble wrap to pack the box out so there was no movement.

Eryk

I'm well interested in the Sportube, will have enough space to accommodate even a TX and some tools (I hope). Found some on Amazon for less £200, not a bad option, just a case of building a tray of some sort to keep all the babies safe.

Good shout about the internal foam, usually I'd use some styrofoam, depron, etc. Might just combine these with actual foam and cut it to the shape. 

Rob Thomson

I use a sport tube..

I have a sheet of 4mm plywood that is cut to fit inside the tube.  

I use masking tape and duct tape to lock the model to the plywood.  Then slide all of the models and board into the tube.

You can pack things quite densely this way with no risk of movement.

Andy M

I guess this might be a little late, but just in case..

I used an SKB 3R5212 case and took some models to USA with no problem. This case is not cheap, and I would think that for F3X models a bigger one may be required, but I can report that they are certainly robust.

I got my case a while back, but after some searching the best deal was from www.bax-shop.co.uk who sell musical instrument cases. You may find an alternative that is suitable.