10th Mosquito 14 Day Challenge

Tony Beckett

Tony Beckett

The 10th Challenge is now open, light winds forecast for today.
Can Jon get a time in before he passes on the new Frenzy 1m to a friend or will Phil start it off as he chases his hat trick?

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the F3K (up to 1.5m) or Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your F3K or Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Please post your times as follows:-. Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, model name, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. Previous challenges for 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 can be seen at www.f3k.uk

Hi all.

Been test flying the Frenzy for about 7hrs now, mostly in rough windy conditions or flat calm. Will put some conclusions in the thread at some point. Weather hasn't been great for decent times here but to kick things off I'll post a 90 second dead air flight in calm conditions around 9pm last night.

Jon Whitmore, Frenzy, 1:30, 25/06/16

• Like 1

The wind dropped to 3-5 mph at 19.00 so I took this opportunity to turn out to the local rec to get a first flight and attempt to trim my Strike 2 Mosquito. The exercise went tolerably well and whilst I could not find anything really decent at this late hour, I did manage a 1m 46s over the trees in the West corner . I would not normally post this time but the weather is appalling for the next week so it might last a few days and encourage Jon (Whitmore) to turn out to reclaim top spot.

Ian Middlemiss
Mosquito Strike 2
1m 46s
27 June 19.45 ish

Nice morning here, first thing, so I was on the common soon after 9:00.

The Elf was soon in action and the air seemed smooth without much lift to start with.  After about twenty minutes I got away for a nice flight.

Mike Fantham
Mosquito
Elf
5:05
28 June 2016 about 0930

Tried the Snipe and got 22:14 but it got windier and quite turbulent so I packed up and was home by midday.

• Like 1

Nice one Mike!

I'm no threat Ian - I'm resting a sprained knee for a few weeks so no launching at the moment :(

Jon

1 hour ago, Whitmore said:

I'm resting a sprained knee for a few weeks so no launching at the moment :(

Sorry to hear that Jon, consider seeing a Sports Physiotherapist - I've had excellent results down that route a few times.  I had a badly bruised thigh that my GP said would need six weeks - the physio had me fully contest fit in three.  Before my first visit, I could only go down stairs slowly and backwards - after the first treatment I walked down the stairs normally as I left their building.

Really good air today, 3'58'' for me is a long flight, so well pleased.

Elf-eating tree was a bit of a break in proceedings.... followed by string, long poles, hanging off thin branches 16' up etc.

It turns out lift is followed by... er.. sink.

See if you can spot it!

20160703_145750.jpg

After such a long spell of naff weather, manflu & work finally got a chance to take the strike 2 out today, in between work 😉

First 11:00 morning session was still too windy & only got 1:30's

Sun came out around 15:00 & wind had dropped a lot.

Best time after hanging on & scratching around was 4:56 😩

Get time there Ribs. Glad you got the Elf down safely!! I can spot it up there 😄

Phil Carter strike2 6/7/16 4:56

• Like 1

Back from a great afternoon at the TVSF field, swiftly followed by an evening out.  Murray through, Wales out.

Got out about 13:45 to find five flying at the field, three of them way up in lift.

Elf first and after a few good flights I got a good ride to a scary height....

Mike Fantham, Mosquito, Elf, 11:53, 6/7/2016

Then had a sarnie and took the Snipe for a flight or two....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last effort from me today.

After fixing the V stab on the strike which somehow got snapped right if half :(

I got out mid morning, good lift but very strong drift, so found it hard to stay in it for long.

managed a 7:06.

Well done Mike, I might get out tomorrow if I get time but looks like you got this challenge 👍🏻

Tony Beckett

Phil was right, no claims came in yesterday so Mike wins the 10th Mosquito 14 Day Challenge of the year.

6 Different winners for the 2016 series so far.

aatimes.jpg