2m Competitions in the UK?

Whitmore

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

What a very interesting thread. I have a number of friends in Germany and RES has really become very popular and we plan on spending some time over there checking things out.

Oh well, I'm in. It will have to be next season for flying though because of business and other commitments' but I have ordered an 'andREas' and 'Slite' and also plan on ordering the 'X-RES' from Hyperflight. At least I will have the winter to do some building. There's not much better than balsa and ply on a winters evening.

I fly with a friend of mine, Mike, who has also just joined BARCS and I have a sneaky feeling he will be up for this. We are situated in Hampshire but will be able to sort out a bungee etc between us.

If this develops and becomes an actual field based as well as postal competition I am definitely up for it and I'm pretty sure Mike will be too.

David.

• Like 2

Hi David

Welcome & glad to hear of more interest in F3-RES! I've also got an X-RES but as yet to maiden due to 'life' & weather. Let's hope we can get more interest over the winter months to really get this going. 

Looking forward to hearing all about your German friends :popcorn:

Hope the builds go well, keep us updated! 

Phil 

• Like 2

Well.... so ends the story.... on Sunday I was flying the Skidoo in perfect conditions. Launched downwind through big infill - poor height but straight into the core of a big un. Specked out within a minute or two and following the drift which was taking me closer to the sun. Around 8 minutes in I made a dash for it across the sun... lost visual and never regained it :(

'Followed' downwind or a good twenty minutes trying to pick it up but nothing. Such was the day that I believe it must have climbed out of sight within the first few minutes of lost contact.

A sad day but a good career - Only £15 of battery, rx and servos plus a bit of balsa and tissue but the Skidoo has been my favourite to fly even above my XRES. It's proved the concept construction wise (had one crash and survived almost unscathed), it launches beautifully, has flown in 30mph (ballasted) and I love the handling and speed. So while I'm sad to lose her, she has pointed the way:

... a full F3-RES version comes next :)

Lessons learned:
- Spoilers and failsafe are useful even for duration sport flying!
- Put your name on the model!!! 
- Stay away from the sun!!!!!!

David - look forward to seeing your builds and flying with you. We could do with a bit more competition :)

• Sad 1

Spoilers are a must!!!

My next RES is going to get them. The Radian is working well but I'm modifying an old wood R/E model for the 2m challenges. All I have to do is add a hook and spoilers. The spoilers will be a challenge though because the wing is held on with rubber bands!!!

Tony

• Like 1

Oh dear Whitmore, that is a real pity.

I was out bashing around with my Mpx Heron today and got caught out a couple of times when I flew across the sun but thankfully it was ok. The landings were interesting with two of them requiring the finals with the sun right behind the Heron. Overshot one landing but all was well and the other was untidy but actually fine. It really is hard to see anything when the sun comes into the picture.

If the loss of your Skidoo results in a 2mtr RES version perhaps it will be a worthwhile loss, but obviously still hard to take.

I do have plans for the RES and should have something on the building board in a few weeks. The 'andREas' will be first but who knows what will follow. The 'Slite' is going to be a while because Josef has limited production capacity. I understand the kit will be well worth the wait.

Thanks for the encouragement, and all the best to everyone.

David.

On 29/08/2017 at 09:50, Whitmore said:

Well.... so ends the story.... on Sunday I was flying the Skidoo in perfect conditions. Launched downwind through big infill - poor height but straight into the core of a big un. Specked out within a minute or two and following the drift which was taking me closer to the sun. Around 8 minutes in I made a dash for it across the sun... lost visual and never regained it :(

'Followed' downwind or a good twenty minutes trying to pick it up but nothing. Such was the day that I believe it must have climbed out of sight within the first few minutes of lost contact.

A sad day but a good career - Only £15 of battery, rx and servos plus a bit of balsa and tissue but the Skidoo has been my favourite to fly even above my XRES. It's proved the concept construction wise (had one crash and survived almost unscathed), it launches beautifully, has flown in 30mph (ballasted) and I love the handling and speed. So while I'm sad to lose her, she has pointed the way:

... a full F3-RES version comes next :)

Lessons learned:
- Spoilers and failsafe are useful even for duration sport flying!
- Put your name on the model!!! 
- Stay away from the sun!!!!!!

David - look forward to seeing your builds and flying with you. We could do with a bit more competition :)

Oh no.. Just got back from hols and catching up.  That is sad news indeed.  That was a very potent machine,  looking forward to see how the big sister performs.

• 1 year later...

Hi Monz

Nothing concrete. We will still be running the Postal event next year as more people have indicated that they want to take part. I (as BMFA NW Area delegate) am trying to find a site in the NW where we can run an 'official' NW area sponsored  SF event - if I am successful then I hope to purchase  a few full length bungees and we can run a proper event under BMFA 'sponsorship'.  However, I need to get that ratified by the committee first, so please don't treat it as concrete. We have two sites lined up and will be investigating over the next few weeks

12 minutes ago, SilentPilot said:

What’s an SF event? Silent Flight? 

Yes.  Silent Flight - eSoaring mainly plus a F3_RES event. There are actually 3 options I am looking at although one is a VERY long shot (although the location would be perfect). If one of these comes off then I will need help to organise/run this.

• Like 1

Yep, love my Slite! I believe there are plans to make it available again with a larger mass produced laser kit - I know new version of the Pures has been out for a while.

On 19/11/2018 at 10:35, Whitmore said:

Yep, love my Slite! I believe there are plans to make it available again with a larger mass produced laser kit - I know new version of the Pures has been out for a while.

Thanks Jon, would it be worth waiting for the Slite (I see their site says late autumn), getting a Pures V2 or go for a Fresh? 

Monz, the original Slite by Josef Gergetz is a really nice kit and build by far the stiffest structure for the thinner wing F3-RES models I've flown, but it has a high part count and takes quite a lot longer than the CNC Pures apparently. I've not seen a Pures or Fresh 'in person' however. I think either the laser cut Pures or Fresh would suit you nicely. They both use a slightly thicker airfoil(marginally less performance) but would be a bit more forgiving to fly that the Slite which has a higher pilot workload.

• 1 year later...
On 06/07/2016 at 01:19, Whitmore said:

They do seem to be having a lot of fun over there! :)

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_P1040262.jpg

what a beautiful picture, thanks for sharing

• Like 1