TonyHickson

Beginners free flight discuss launch

TonyHickson

Anyone got any recommendations for a simple first free flight discuss launch model? I've seen a couple around and fancy having a go at putting one together. 

PeterT

Tony

Lee Hines' Sweepette 36 has a good reputation. I have a pdf of the plan if you are interested. Hoosier Daddy by Bruce Kimball is also a good one that I've seen fly, but I don't have a plan. Mick Page's Butterfly DLG is another that springs to mind  and Ian (Boffin) or Jon (Whitcombe) may have plans as they are all members of the Peterboro club.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it..................but trimming is the important part - no stick twiddling to put things right:lol:

Peter

• Like 2

Whitmore

Tony,

Mick's Butterfly plan is available here: http://f4bscale.worldonline.co.uk/butterfl.htm

but I'm not sure if that's an up to date plan, his later models are bigger. Ian's build details are found here: http://peterboroughmfc.org/membersmodels2014/06-DLG-MickPage.htm

There is also Mark Benns' Spin Up which was kitted but a plan might be around.

I have a Sweepette 36D on my build list, and there is a really good build thread over on Hippocket. http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=3111.0 Lee Hines, the designer, still posts there. It's the go to forum for FF DLG.

The Hoosier Daddy plan and SWE36D are found here: http://www.discuskid.com/Pages/TLGPlans.aspx

Sizing is a personal thing because there's no wing span limit, it's probably best to go for the biggest you can throw to a good height.

Jon

• Like 1

PeterT

Tony

The Mick Page plan on the F4bscale site is I believe for his original javelin launched glider as published as a free plan in Aeromodeller years ago. His DLG is about 36" span but I don't believe it's a simple 50% on the photocopier job..

I'd got it in my mind that the plans on the DiscUSkid site were for purchase only, hence my offer of the Lee Hines plan. Free downloads sound good to me.

Personally I prefer Bruce's model, and he comes over here on business from time to time and flies in UK comps (Middle Wallop & Beaulieu). He was here for the FF Nats in May and won CLG. Nice chap who I'll drink beer with at the slightest excuse:).

You now have loads to choose from so get building. When trimmed they float well in the slightest patch of good air so fit a DT. The timers are available from Flitehook for a pittance and if all else fails contact me.

Peter

TonyHickson

Thanks for the tips Jon and Peter. I've already lost some time to hip pocket aeronautics, it's a treasure trove! There's quite a lot of knowledge required to go from a plan to a model though which I don't have so the build threads are a help. Is anyone kitting them in the UK / Europe?

PeterT

Tony

I feel sure that you'd turn out a perfectly good model and Jon & I could answer any minor questions and point you in the direction of component/materials suppliers if that's your concern.

I don't know of any UK kit manufacturers - nor in Europe as  FF catapult/hand launch gliders don't appear to be of interest to our continental chums - except in Sweden. If you follow the DiscUS Kid link you'll find a price list for Stan Buddenbohm's DLG kits, but they are pretty expensive - best part of a hundred bucks, plus shipping and VAT/handling if it gets stopped. Flitehook used to stock a 30" HLG/DLG by Sting in Oz at a reasonable price - it must have been reasonable as I bought one (30 quid from memory). If you are interested give him a call. Here are a couple of photos to give you some idea of what it's like.

Peter

601.jpg

602.jpg