Jedi Lift

Graeme_M

Stefan Bertschi

I've flown the Jedi Lift in a couple of rounds at the WC in Denmark (incl. some bush-hugging). Not yet 100% convinced of the plane especially in big winds. The Lift seems to hit a kind of speed limit during the drop into the course (but is able to pick up speed in the run). This is especially when the climb out was rather good - on the positive if there isn't too much wind/average climb out the drop in speed doesn't seem to be slower as with a big climb out).

So my current opinion is that the Lift suits very well for times up to low 40/high 30 but for faster conditions there are probably better planes.

After a chat with drewetm I set the CG to 106mm and 5mm Snap Flap, but I set up a 1nd setting during the comp with only 3mm of Snap due to the fact that the sea(ish) slopes were very prone to overpulling in the cross-wind conditions.

Stefan

Interesting Stefan,

It looks in the vid that it is hunting in pitch.

Something that I find is very typical of Baudis models. Just dropping and rising as it tries to fly along the edge.

Usually sorted by moving the CG just forward slightly.

The Lift version of any Baudis model needs just a touch of reflex when used for F3F to improve straight line speed. They're designed primarily to maximise F3B launch, which for us, gives a better more grippy turn. (In my opinion this is where it won and lost in F3F). My Fosa lifts fly reflexed, just the thickness of the trailing edge seems to be enough to de-camber the wing enough for better straight line speed. I've also found I only require minimal snap due to the increased camber, to get a good ping in the turn, plus the Lift variants tend to soak up ballast better for a given wind speed.

G

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Received a TxT from the wife 08:00 this morning simply saying "Your new toy has arrived"... They just don't understand do they! Needless to say today was a very long day in the office, however home now and ready to play😀

Hope to maiden this weekend in Wales if the wind plays ball.

IMG_0033.JPG

Some settings below from Baudis...

Basic settings for Jedi Lift:

CG 105mm (recommended for first flights)

tow hook on CG

common set up:
for start at winch flap +12 to 15mm, elev. -1 to  -1,5
for speed flap 0 to -1mm,
distance flap 0 to 2
durance  flap +2 to +3mm

elevatore +/- 4-5mm
rudder +/- 7mm
ailerons +12 to +15mm,  -4 to -6mm (changed in different tasks)

active mix:
ailerons/rudder
ailerons/flaps
flaps/ailerons
elevatore/flaps

The CG is always individiual issue. 
Jiri fly with Jedi Lift F3B approx. 105mm as CG and for instance Andreas Boehlen fly Jedi Lift F3B approx. 100mm as CG.
You will see what is the best for you.

Graeme

• Like 3

Really looking forward to seeing how you get on with this one Graeme. Can't help but think that it'll be a great model for the UK summer league events - not too bad in breezy coastal conditions either, didn't Martin Z make the top 5 with his at the WCs?

Cheers,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Should be maidening it this weekend.

At first glance it appears very similar to the Fosa, however looking closer it's significantly different. Fingers crossed 

G

Maidend Jedi today on Westbury white horse, early days yet but first impressions are very promising. It seems very grippy in the turn, both clean and with 1mm reflex and pumps like a homesick angel. (800g ballast)

Dropping in from height it appears to accelerate every bit as good as the Fosa and maintains its energy well, one thing both Martin and myself commented on is how completely planted it felt. Further setting-up tomorrow... Happy days😀

Ian took a very short vid pretty much straight after launch.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Looks really smart Andy  :yes: !

Well gell........

Hope my OLD jedi can stay with your pace when we next meet up in a comp lol

I seem to remember you were already pulling away from me. :bye:

Cheers Ewan 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alibabaj said:

Looking good Andy!

Is the gear already fitted?

No Gra ...I like to do it myself ...although in hindsight  baudis priobably do as good if not a better job    and time is none existant at the moment ...then again so is flying weather

Really nice Andy

Just noticed what time you posted the pic... Nobody can resist staying up late to do a bit of hanger flying when they get a new toy. :yes:

Hope to see it on the slope soon.

Brett

5 hours ago, Brett82 said:

Really nice Andy

Just noticed what time you posted the pic... Nobody can resist staying up late to do a bit of hanger flying when they get a new toy. :yes:

Hope to see it on the slope soon.

Brett

Id been home 30 minutes at that point .........which seems to be par for the course for last 3 weeks

• Like 1

Stunning - that really is a nice combo Andy!!!

Best looking radio and airframe available imho....

Cheers,

Greg