Long Mynd, Shropshire F3f

isoaritfirst

15 hours ago, Phil.Taylor said:

Anyone fancy a curry on Saturday evg?

Hi Phil 

Sorry can't make the curry. I'm staying the night with Les and his wife has very kindly offered to make us dinner. :D

It's getting closer.... :frantics:

Brett 

Phil.Taylor
2 hours ago, Brett82 said:

Hi Phil 

Sorry can't make the curry. I'm staying the night with Les and his wife has very kindly offered to make us dinner. :D

It's getting closer.... :frantics:

Brett 

Bring them along - save her from cooking !

isoaritfirst

Entries have now closed for the Mynd and we have a decent and nicely mixed entry.

A few locals and several new/occasional pilots, great to see.

Thank you all for entering, 

Like so many comps recently we have managed the first stages ok, the entries are in and timing gear is washed and changed and ready to party. 

Now all we need is the weather.

So can you all put your hands together and pray.. 

Current forecast of NW and little wind strength has been pretty stable all week.

Forecasts often change at the last minute, and this one needs to. 

:(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, isoaritfirst said:

So can you all put your hands together and pray.. 

My father is a Padre in the armed forces with a fairly direct link to the big guy upstairs... I will see if he can put in a good word for us. :lol:

That's not to say you can blame me if the weather doesn't play ball...

• Like 4

isoaritfirst

Competition this Sunday is Cancelled.

Sorry the weather gods just don't want to play ball.

I feel confident in the weather prediction for Sunday as remaining a NW blow. 

This is one of the few directions that the Long Mynd struggles with.

isoaritfirst

Personally I will still be in the area for the weekend. Probably riding my bike on Saturday morning and sports flying at Pole Cot  on Saturday late afternoon and Sunday at the Lawley

15 minutes ago, isoaritfirst said:

Competition this Sunday is Cancelled.

Such a pity... :(

I know there is nothing that can be done with wind direction. Still not a nice call to make. I might still try come down just for the day, Saturday seems more W-WNW so may still be Flyable. Ive not heard of the Lawley. Would it be flyable with that direction? I need to get some flying time with my willow before the nationals.   

George Young

Disappointed but thanks for the early call Mike. I was able to cancel hotel with no charges :thumbsup:

I had been looking forward to trying a new slope (to me) but foiled by the weather once again :no: Oh, well. Next time hopefully :)

isoaritfirst

Lawley is NW and can be flown from either its S or its N end.

Its not covered by the LMSA, so its just open access and no agreed permissions.

It is suitable for Ds,

Hill is easier to fly on its lower Northern end and landings are easier.

Southern end is a hard steep walk, flying can be brilliant, landings are trickier.

Get it wrong and you end up in the Ds area and the rotor

Northern end

Southern End

Northern end landing

• Like 1

Mike, where abouts is this hill at Lawley?

Can you give us a GPS reference for where the parking is?  In case you don't know, the best way I have found to get this is to use Google maps, right click on the spot and choose "What's here?".   A little box pops up with the GPS coords at the bottom.  Then it's easy to plug this into satnav without post code errors!!  :yes:

EDIT:  Found it  :thumbsup:

Edited by Scram
I found it

isoaritfirst
7 minutes ago, George Young said:

Disappointed but thanks for the early call Mike. I was able to cancel hotel with no charges :thumbsup:

I had been looking forward to trying a new slope (to me) but foiled by the weather once again :no: Oh, well. Next time hopefully :)

Cheers George, I know what its like with late calls, and this one didnt look likely to change.

The Lawley looks like a decent size slope and I can't imagine it would get too crowded. Might be worth the trip to get some flying time. Thanks for the videos, they look great. 

isoaritfirst
20 minutes ago, Phil.Taylor said:

Shame - but not unexpected. Curry cancelled !

Phil.

Thanks for trying Phil

Phil.Taylor

Actually - the cancellation is a blessing - my Tx started playing up last night flying at Thurnham in Kent - the Mynd would have been a wasted trip cos I haven't got my spare Tx with me. Time for new radio gear...

Phil.

isoaritfirst

Pole Cot plays it's Joker. 

I arrived about 12.30 flat calm and grey. Guy leaving said the wind such that it was was 90 degrees off and no chance of any thermals. I Chucked off an empty fs4 and didn't expect to keep it up. Just about managed to fly but only just and it involved a lot of distant searching for very small pockets of non- sink. 

Half hour later and I landed and thought about adding ballast. But unsure. Chatted to a walker for a few minutes then with 760g chucked off. Sun came out, thermals popped and wind started to blow. 

For the last two hours it's been ballistic. Nice w wind and then thermals that are now supporting full size doing aerobatics over my head. 

Fs4 needs 1200g plus and is steaming. 

Would never have believed it this morning. 

• Like 1