Time to finally go 2.4 - but what Tx & Rxs to buy?

Phil.Taylor

Phil.Taylor

Hi folks - yet another 2.4 Tx / Rx thread - hoping for some useful input...

My trusty old JR3810 started having range problems & glitching last night - same symptoms as my other identical 3810 Tx had 3 years ago - was serviced by MacGregor & traced to a faulty main RF power transistor. I could get this one fixed - but its probably high time to move on to 2.4 - but what Tx/Rxs & at what cost?

To set the scene - its got to be able to do the usual F3F plane mixes - 9-channel minimum (more would be useful - the latest acquisition has 3x surface wings, spoilers and a retract) - good solid radio link - logical to glider-program (JR3810 is great) - and most importantly, the Rxs need to be a reasonable cost - I need about 15x of them to convert the whole fleet !

which way to go?

(and for those that will say "Taranis" - I will need a really, really good reason why I should have to waste my time getting my head back into serious programming mode - rather than a Tx with a well-thought-out glider-program interface)

Cheap option appears to be FrSky DJT module (from T9) to plug into the back of the old 3810 - anyone got any experience of these? - and which Rxs go with it?

Hitec Aurora 9x was talked about favourably a couple of years ago - still seems to be available - Hitec Rxs are reasonable price

Multiplex - but what?    Graupner MZ-24 ?

Then - I don't know anything about current JR radios - but if the glider programming is still similar to the 3810 that would be good

and - a couple on my F3F type planes have carbon noses - so Rxs will need "whiskers" poking out

and - would be nice to get Tx & 15x Rxs for under £1k if possible

Inputs & experience welcomed - but please, no "Tx wars" !

Phil.

The hitec aurora was a very good tx in my opinion. Probably the easiest to programme that I've had with the possible exception of the multiplex cockpit sx, but that was a far simpler tx.

The newer aurora 9x is supposed to be better. The issue i had with hitec is that you cannot get anything other than voltage telemtry without a separate sensor station.

The only other real issue is that it's not very flexible outside of the predefined mixers. The rf link is very solid.

In a lot of ways it was the easiest system I've had to live with. All the mixes are found in one place and it's just dead easy to make adjustments to the model.  Like I say though the other side of that coin is that it's not that flexible compared to the likes of opentx.  You can certainly fly f3x on the hitec though. The flight modes are as a strength.

Jr and graupner are supposed to be good but i don't know much about them.

isoaritfirst

Don't discount taranis Phil. It could be the easiest way to get a top f3 f program. Talk to mr shellim

Phil.Taylor

@Tom - thanks for sharing experience with the Aurora 9 - which Rxs did you use? - can you use the 6 channel ones for F3F? (JR always needed 7chan)

@Mike - thanks, I will certainly have a chat with Mr.Taranisman-Shellim

Phil.

My only experience with transmitters is with the Futaba 9C and Taranis Plus.

I was wavering on the Aurora 9 but I had purchased the FJT module for the 9C and a few receivers.  I had no problems with this setup and in the end decided to go with the Taranis, which then sat unused for a long time because of the programming issue. 

Eventually I decided to give it a go and got my brain around downloading and installing OpenTX and Companion.  I learned a lot using the OpenTx University and some of the UTube video's but you have to be careful with the latter as there's a lot of old stuff and sorting the Taranis from the er9X?? etc.  takes a while to get a handle on so I struggled for a while till I downloaded Mikes F3F program and this opened doors in my brain.  This is a good way in IMHO. You can play with things and see how it works using Companion of the computer.

I still have some issues with detail set-up on an F3F plane but it is great to be able easily to adjust things like ele comp in crow and aileron differential, in flight, when flying a new set-up for the first time.

In the end, you pays you money and takes your choice.

Phil.Taylor

Thanks for the input Jerry - having to consult a "university" for what should be straightforward seems bizarre to me

crow ele comp adjustment in flight is so easy on the old 3810 - just open the menu...

Phil.

University is perhaps an eggsadjeration  :rolleyes:  It really is a compilation of "how to's" and where to find info's.  Read through the "Undergraduate coursed" then go to University Library/Video Library - where "how to's" are listed in logical fashion.

Those adjustments are done using trim buttons and operate all the time, no need for opening menu's whilst you are flying.  Both and others can be done all the time.

Hi Phil

I've been using the DJT module for four years now,it's been bulletproof. 

I have it fitted to my JR9X.

The good thing is if you go this way you don't have to learn how to program a new transmitter.

• Like 2

How about Spektrum? I don't think that my DX9 is a worse glider radio than my PCM9XII. There is the 6260 receiver for narrow fuse six servo models and a range of other receivers to cover other models including the 9110 for big dual battery stuff. They are a bit weak on telemetry, but receivers with integrated telemetry are finally starting to appear.

Another option is Jeti starting with a module and building up to taking out a mortgage for a DC-24.

Steve

• Like 2

Phil.Taylor

@ Les - thanks ! - which Rxs are you using with the DJT module? - this would be an inexpensive way of at least getting the Tx going again, and moving to 2.4

@ Steve - thanks - never really considered Spektrum - doesn't seem to get much mileage with glider folks though - don't know why

Phil.

Hi Phil 

I know people may disagree with me but have a look at the Spektrum DX9. Before switching to 2.4 I only had Futaba since starting flying 14 years ago. I looked for months for a radio capable of setting up an F3F glider for under £200. The one with the most features was the DX6. 

After I ordered it I read the user manual 3 or 4 times before it arrived so I was familiar with the menu. For a glider using the DX6 I can set up 5 spoken flight modes on 2 switches. I haven't come across a function for F3F that I cant programme. Flight modes are fully customisable, voice alerts can be changed or you can even programme your own voice and say what you want it to say using free software from the Horizon website. 

Speaking of Horizon just search the Web and you will see what I mean when I say their after sales is one of the best in the industry. 

The DX9 has far more features than my DX6, does not cost an arm and a leg, in my opinion is easy to use, the menu is straight forward and the features are endless. Wireless trainer function, sd card slot so you can import an F3F setup from someone else. I also use the Orange receivers compatible with DSMX and they are cheap. I think 9 ch is about £18 and I have never had any sign of a brown out. They also give you rx battery voltage and signal strength telemetry (allowed in F3F) without the need for extra equipment. 

Honestly I can't think of anything that is wrong with them. The build quality is as good as my previous Futaba radios. And for those that say they don't like the menus, just think with any radio you get for the first month or so it will be a learning curve then after a while it gets easier until 1 day it's second nature. 

Have a look at them and check out all the features you get for less than most of the others. 

Brett

• Like 1

Phil

I'm using the Frsky V8FR-11 8 channel and works with HV servos and battery.

Rich at T9 sells them £16.80

I have them in my Pitbulls and work fantastic. 

• Like 2

Phil.Taylor
44 minutes ago, Les said:

Phil

I'm using the Frsky V8FR-11 8 channel and works with HV servos and battery.

Rich at T9 sells them £16.80

I have them in my Pitbulls and work fantastic. 

Thanks Les - that's very good to hear - so I've just ordered 2x V8FR-11 & the DJT module - will get me going again for less than the cost of getting the Tx serviced/fixed

but the main search for a whole new system will continue...

Phil.

SilentPilot

I'll add another vote for the DX9 :)

It's a great radio with some powerful, yet easy to use, mixes. Spektrum Rx's aren't cheap but both Orange and Lemon make DSMX compatible receivers which are very affordable. They also have built in telemetry or gyros depending on what you opt for. LemonRx (despite the name!) are among the best I have ever used in terms of range tests. I have a mix of e-flite BnF models with Spektrum receivers and other models with Orange or Lemon receivers.

As noted above the spoken alerts are a godsend, the dual diversity antenna is a blessing and DSMX is a very strong protocol. It is fair to mention that early DSM2 transmitters had problems with brownouts. They needed a long reboot time, which coupled with a power hungry Rx (often a 4.8V pack wouldn't do), let to trouble. I'm happy to say that this is now all in the past.

Just another option to bear in mind :)

• Like 1

Phil.Taylor

Thanks - oranges & lemons? - hope theres no pear shapes in there too?

I do not know,
Says the great bell of Bow.

keep the info coming guys - its all good stuff

Phil.

JR are known for their glider programming menus.

I started F3J using a DSX9, later got a 9XII as a backup (same radio without backlit display that is 35 mhz or 2.4 with a plug in module).

Later I got a DSX 12 which is all you could ever want, loads of gadgets and will do a six servo wing. Programming is pretty much the same for all of them.

Not looked at prices lately but they should be pretty reasonable due to being fairly 'old hat'.

They are all DSM 2, a factor is the cost of fitting your gliders with matching receivers, I use JR RD921 and Spektrum AR9300, becoming harder to find new.

I've had no trouble with any of these transmitters/receivers. I do use a Spektrum flight logger which shows battery voltage and frame losses/holds, most useful for first flights and best RX antenna placement in carbon gliders.

Cheers

Gary