Sign in to follow this  
ThermalBoy

TONBRIDGE F5J - 18/9/2016 - RESULTS & REPORT

ThermalBoy

RESULTS & REPORT

What a cracking days soaring it turned out to be with even the weather cooperating! With an entry of 28 pilots which dropped down to 25 on the day we looked set for a good days soaring. 25 entries ensured that it would still be one of the largest F5J comps held this year in the UK. Very pleasing for us the organizers as it makes all the considerable pre-comp work worthwhile. We are very lucky in that here in the SE corner of the country to have a lot of electric soaring pilots who are happy to support our comps.

Over the past 2 years we have tried to steadily improve the organisation and equipment of our F5J comps and this time, if the comments we received were anything to go by, we have succeeded. The latest addition to the field equipment that went down a storm was a High Visibility flightline Countdown Timer that performed flawlessly throughout the day in unison with the automated computer comp running/scoring system. It also indicates what round and slot is about to fly next as well. A newly acquired high powered flightline wireless PA ensured that all pilot announcements were clearly heard on the flightline along with a separate remote PA unit facing towards the pits area from the organizers tent so that those by their cars could also hear announcements. For those that might be interested in building their own countdown timer everything you need to know including sources of the components required can be found at: http://www.gliderscore.com/Audio.aspx?DisplayBuild

Onto the competition itself. The weather was overcast for the entire day but enjoyed light winds throughout. The conditions meant that launch height had to be carefully judged to suit the conditions at the time which were variable to say the least. We saw several attempts at very low launches, some of which succeeded but many failed. Such is the nature of F5J. What was obvious looking at the scores is that the pilots ability to judge launch heights had definitely improved overall compared to our last comp. I think this is down to people becoming more familiar with the class plus a bit of practice too! We saw some exceptional flying during the day from various pilots at distances where you could barely see the models. Thermaling/flying models smoothly at these kind of distances is not easy as we all know.

The competition moved along at a good pace but one that still allowed for a relaxed days flying. We flew 6 rounds with a 40 minute lunch break finishing up around 5pm. It was great to see some old/new faces at the field with Alan Heber and Tim Lewis from the Isle of Wight taking the ferry over to come and visit for the day. Great to see you guys again after so many years. We look forward to seeing you two flying again rather than spectating! It was also good to see Chris Foss flying well to finish 3rd overall. Well done Chris.

My thanks to the Tonbridge members who helped with the organisation.

Full results, Round Scores and a selection of pics to convey the atmosphere on the day can be found below.

Colin Paddon – Contest CD

Tonbridge BMFA F5J League Event - Sunday 18 September 2016

Tonbridge club are hosting a BMFA League F5J competition at Leigh Park Farm, Nr Tonbridge, Kent on Sunday 18 September 2016.  We will be running a relaxed and fun competition for both existing competition flyers and new pilots alike.

Directions to the field can be found here:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Leigh+Park+Farm/@51.2091254,0.19327,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x47df4fda3f5fd36d:0xfd76d04136677dd9?hl=en

The competition will be run to F5J rules with UK variations as published by the BMFA. Copy of the full rules can be found here:
https://bmfa.org/DesktopModules/Bring2mind/DMX/Download.aspx?Command=Core_Download&EntryId=1060&language=en-GB&PortalId=0&TabId=219

The main points for BMFA F5J comps are:
- Either Open or 2m may be flown, not both.
- Motor restart may be used (results in a zero flight score), and therefore you need only use your eSoaring switch BUT you must reset the (200m) height limit to 300m this can often be done easily by using a reader, otherwise use a computer.
- As in eSoaring, you must provide a reader, so that your timekeeper can check your launch height immediately after landing.
- Minimum of 4 rounds to be flown.
- CD will announce whether or not a Fly-Off will be flown before the start.
- Book in from 9am. First flight’s at 10am

Entry fee £10.00 (BMFA requirement) payable on the day.
Proof of insurance (BMFA membership card is sufficient) required

Closing date for entries is 6.00pm Friday 16th September
In the event that there is any doubt as to whether the event will be run due to forecasted inclement weather, a final decision will be posted on BARCS and Esoaring websites by no later than 4pm on Saturday 17th September

Please enter this event by posting here on this thread:
1) Your name
2) Class being entered - i.e. OPEN or 2 METRE
3) Preferred Frequency if on 35Mhz.
4) BMFA Number

Entry list to date:
1. Graham Wicks, Open, 2.4, BMFA 052827
2. Colin Boorman, Open 2.4, BMFA tba
3. Kevin Dart, Open, 2.4, BMFA TBA
4. Colin Paddon, Open, 2.4, BMFA 073473
5. Mike Connell, Open. 2.4, BMFA 155649
6. Chris Foss, Open, 2.4, BMFA
7. Ricky Shaw 2.4 Open BMFA TBA
8. Phil Ramsey 2.4 Open BMFA TBA
9. Rod Potts, Open, 2.4, BMFA 002875
10. Keith Fisher, Open, 2.4, BMFA 060851
11. Simon Smith, OPen, 2.4, BMFA TBA
12. Bob Hope Open, 2.4. BMFA TBA
13. Alan Twine  Open, 2.4, BMFA67979
14. Peter Mitchell, Open,  2.4  BMFA33859
15. Nick Jackson  Open  2.4GHz  BMFA 123273
16. Eddy Small  Open  2.4GHz  BMFA  063558 
17. Ian Nicholls, OPEN  2.4GHz BMFA 39293
18. Terry Stuckey, Open, 2.4, BMFA TBA
19. Colin Lucas, Open, 2.4, BMFA TBA
20. Steve Knowles  OPEN   2.4 GHz BMFA 70799
21. Ian duff, open, 2.4ghz, BMFA 018894
22. Peter Ley.  Open, 2.4, BMFA 187230
23. Simon Conran: Open  2.4  BMFA. 195226
24. Ray Gadenne Open  2.4 052822
25. Tony Merritt 2M  BMFA 142327
26. John Hovell, Open, 2.4, BMFA No.040572

Overall Results.png

Round-Scores.zip

Img_3900 (Copy)_result.jpg

P9181600_result.JPG

P9181599_result.JPG

P9181596_result.JPG

P9181597_result.JPG

P9181594_result.JPG

Img_3869 (Copy)_result.jpg

Img_3872 (Copy)_result.jpg

Img_3873 (Copy).jpg

Img_3875 (Copy)_result.jpg

Img_3887 (Copy)_result.jpg

P9181575_result.JPG

P9181576_result.JPG

P9181577_result.JPG

P9181578_result.JPG

P9181579_result.JPG

P9181580_result.JPG

P9181581_result.JPG

P9181582_result.JPG

P9181584_result.JPG

P9181586_result.JPG

P9181587_result.JPG

P9181588_result.JPG

P9181589_result.JPG

P9181590_result.JPG

P9181591_result.JPG

P9181592_result.JPG

P9181593_result.JPG

Height-Landing- Draw Results.zip

• Like 1

Mike Connell

Hi Colin

Please accept my entry for the OPen. 2.4, BMFA 155649

Mike Connell

PeteMitchell

Hi Colin

Please ad to the list

Alan Twine           Open           2.4       BMFA67979

Peter Mitchell       Open           2.4       BMFA33859

Eddy Small

Hello Colin,

Please enter   Nick Jackson  Open  2.4GHz  BMFA 123273

Eddy Small   Open  2.4GHz  BMFA  063558 

Thanks, Eddy.

Nicholls

Colin,

Please enter me in OPEN on 2.4GHz BMFA 39293

Thanks

Ian

EssexBOF

Oh Dear

This clashes with someone's birthday:no:

Jef Ott

Unfortunately I will be away trying to shoot lions, scorpions, crocodiles, guitars and lots of other fish.

steve knowles

Colin, 

Pls can you add me to the entry list:

Steve Knowles  OPEN     2.4 GHz     BMFA 70799

Thanks 

Steve  

Ian Duff

Hi Colin.

Can you put me on the entry list as well please...... ...

Ian duff, open, 2.4ghz, BMFA 018894

Kikapu

And me too please, Colin.
Peter Ley.  Open, 2.4, BMFA 187230

Thanks

Mr_SMO

Please enter Simon Conran:

Open

BMFA. 195226

Rayg

Hi Colin,

Please enter me in Open on 2.4

Thanks, Ray

tonym

Hi Colin

Should have models to fly by Sunday.

Please enter me in 2m

Thanks
Tony - BMFA 142327

John H

Hi Colin,

Please enter me in Open on 2.4

Thanks, John H

Kikapu

Every time entries are asked for this Kent competition I wonder whether I can be bothered driving the 2 hours down there and every time I go I am pleased I made the right decision to do so.  On the drive home I tell myself that I'm never going across the Thames again.  But I know I will. 
Thoroughly enjoyed the whole event.  Some of the flying was quite exceptional.  Thanks Colin - and colleagues.

I look forward to seeing as many of you who can make it to Little Bentley next Sunday 25th.

• Like 1

tonym

Yes, an excellent day's flying. A well organised and run event, not a hitch or stutter all day, nice one guys.

As for my award for winning 2m in a class of one, I'd like to thank my timer and driver John Hovell, the farmer for providing the field, Colin, Kev and the other organisers, the Dept. of Transport for the roads and bridges, and everyone else everywhere :D

Like Peter above, I hope that many of yesterday's competitors can make it to Little Bentley on Sunday - I'll try and get the oasis cabin (with loo) moved nearer the Stick & Ball field we use for F5J.

Tony

Mr_SMO

Me too.  Had a great day, even getting a thermal on the last flight, and agree with Peter that there was some exceptional flying. My thanks to the organisers, hope to see you south of the river again.

• Like 1

PeteMitchell

Thanks for a great day Colin and gang.

Excellent organisation with some interesting tweeks, and a visual display of slot timeB|

Very pleased to at last find a bit of form in my own flying :sweat:

Looking forward to your next one already.

• Like 1

John H

Yes a great day, good flying and excellent company.

I try to spread our enthusiasm for the hobby by putting the results and a few pictures on our Ipswich Club face-book page.

Does anyone have any pictures of the competition that they would let me use, also does anyone not want there picture to be on the club page.

Thanks, john h

• Like 1

PeteMitchell

I just realised that CD Colin Paddon scored 6000points!!!:o

And with his own design home built model!

Well done Colin, quite an achievement.

• Like 2