Hello, new member from Surrey

Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin

Just popping a 'hello' in here.

Not new to RC, been flying since I was six, more years than I care to mention.

I worked in the trade for a few years and now fly for a living. Joined the BARCS forum mainly for the F3K section, which is where you'll find me lurking... I slope soar, living only 10 mins from a great North Downs slope, thermal occasionally and play with HLG stuff. Got a loft full of toys that need the dust wiping off them...

Happy landings.....

Hi Reggie (although I'm guessing that might not be your real name!).

I'm a slope soarer too - mainly on the North Downs slope at Thurnham but we go down to the South Downs when the wind is northerly and we want big air.

I'm interested to know what your Surrey great North Downs slope is?

Simon

Reggie Perrin

Hi Simon,

The Surrey slope is Colley Hill, just off junction 8 off the M25. Many flyers don't like it that much as it doesn't have a huge landing area but it's where I first started flying so it has a sentimental appeal to me... I've been up to Thurnham before but haven't flown there yet. I know quite a few guys who fly there...

Ah yes the dreaded College Hill - a bit tricky for our big scale gliders on the landing front!

Badger on the line at Gomshall?!

Simon

Reggie Perrin

Colley isn't as bad as it once was as the National trust wardens have removed all of the dead trees from the edge of the bowl and it's much more clear now. 

I know what you mean about scale ships in there but 3.5 metre jobs get in there ok. You just need to be able to land in lift, at a 15 degree angle... Good practice..!

For all of it's faults though, it is a nice steep natural bowl..

"Seventeen minutes late, water seeping through the cables at Effingham Junction - there was a lot of Effingham and a good deal of Blindingham!"

Reggie

• Like 1

Yup..  Colley is not so bad..  

But not really best for a beginner.   Landing is a challenge due to limited space and the zone being pretty much in constant lift. 

Once you learn how to land the site..   Its easy enough.