Sign in to follow this  
Tony Beckett

11th F3K 14 Day Duration Challenge

Tony Beckett

Simon said:- "I couldn't make the Nationals but it looks like you had a good comp.  Today was the first chance to fly for a week or so and I managed a 9.49 at lunchtime.  A nice easy target for the new challenge....

Simon Jones, F3K, 9 mins 49 secs. 30.08.16"

aatimes.jpg

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the F3K (up to 1.5m) or Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your F3K or Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Please post your times as follows:-. Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, model name, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. Previous challenges for 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 can be seen at www.f3k.uk

• Like 1

Redbird

Thank you Simon Jones for the 'nice easy target', I have upped it a bit for another nice target.

Bruce Hudson, F3k Vortex, 14m 27s 1st September 10.20am.

It was a thermic looking morning with light wind here on the football pitches and a 40m launch had me playing around nicely. I chickened out at 136m then explored the sky.

• Like 1

Redbird

Just noticed, 9hrs 49mins. You win :)

• Like 1

Tony Beckett

Good to see a new name on the list, especially when he had over nine hours to beat.....

Apologies to both Bruce and Simon, it was finger trouble on my part, correct times below:-
aatimes.jpg

Tony

Simon Jones

Bruce, Well done and great to see a new name.  The weather is improving this week so let's see if I can improve on current time......

Simon

Simon Jones

Well, the conditions were OK this lunchtime.  Despite being overcast there was plenty of bubbly lift about from a low level, but not particularly strong.  I got away on my first test launch and had dozens of 'tweeters' about to mark the thermals - at times there were probably a couple of hundred birds in some thermals.  After 5 mins I had only climbed to 300ft ish and after 10 mins had doubled that again.  I managed an 18.53 in the end.  After that flight I had fun with a Red Kite at low level and could fly at will from bubble to bubble at 50ft and just keep it going.

Simon Jones, F3K, 18 mins, 52 secs, 05.09.16

• Like 1

Redbird

Thank you Simon. Sounds like you had a good time on that last flight. Weather here has been poor since, 8/8 cover and drizzle or worse, along with rather too much wind but I have been getting out to practice. Lighter wind tomorrow, I'll keep going, this might turn into a neck ache challenge for me and I must work without the vario!. Goodwood eh? Good for you.

Simon Jones

I went out again today and had a decent flight with my second launch.  The lift was stronger but there was some quite strong sink too.  I wanted to better yesterday's flight and managed a 20.14 but the last 3-4 mins were spent scratching at 50-100ft quite a way downwind and resulted in a land out and search, so I can't really claim it as a time!  I found the nettle in the rough field I was searching to be pretty potent and my legs are still smarting.  Got the model back Ok and as it happens I didn't need to have searched in the nettles after all:no:

Simon

Simon B

I'm sure there will be others with such nice conditions today, managed several scary speck-outs and called it a day after really fun flight that was real high and really low three times, playing with the red kites and swallows, and then suddenly back on terra firma as a big cold draft came through with 30:45 on the clock.

Simon b. nxt, 30:45.

• Like 1

Simon Jones

Hi Tony,

Wrong Simon!!  Well done Simon B.  It looked a crack day (and a complete contrast to Saturday!) but I was at the Goodwood Revival enjoying the racing.

Tony Beckett

Apologies, I should read the names carefully.
Change made.....

Simon Jones

I went out today for a lunchtime session.  It was quite breezy and 'lumpy' but some decent lift too.  I got away on my second launch and was doing well up to 15 mins until there was sink everywhere.  I scratched about for another couple of minutes to make a 17.23 - nothing to trouble Simon B's time.

Simon.

MikeDLG

Last night I finally finished repairing the tails of Flitz 2 that I put in the tree at the Malvern event, so I went for a morning session in the calm, overcast conditions.  Well, wow! what incredible conditions!  I sent my sights on a 10min flight.  Got that easily, so read this thread in one hand, while flying to see what I had to beat - 30:45 was the next target.  Go that easily too.  In fact, from about 20mins onwards, I would fly up wind, pop into thermal mode and leave it alone.  Did that pretty much all the way to 50mins.  Had a 'slight scare' at 52mins as I was lying on the ground and got lazy and got the TX to close to the ground and lost contact with the model!  I leapt up smartly, regained control, made another 8mins then headed back to me, finishing on a 1:01:17, my best for about a decade I think.  Sorry Simon B :-)

• Like 1

Redbird

Haha, good one MikeDlg. Nice conditions here too this morning but I was out for launch height and relaunch practice and in 50 odd launches just had a few five min flights. Still I seldom exceed 43 metres, but think I know what I need to work on.

Simon B

Well done Mike, I'm yet to get my 1 hour badge, I did get four 10 min plus flights in a row, but was trying to practice a bit so was off looking for another thermal every time I got a bit of altitude, all good fun.

Nick

Hello mates ,

I came back Friday from holiday , yesterday i couldn't fly it was very windy , Today I flew 2 hours, it was wonderful weather with a lot of big thermals I done 2 long flights one was 13min 05 sec 
and logest was 15min 39sec -  18-Sep-16   Nick Arabadzhiyski

Tony Beckett

Over an hour from Michael, excellent stuff.

On www.f3k.uk there is a list of one hour plus flights, with Nick Chitty still at the top with a 1:36:12 in June 2009. Simon Jones has the most listed, having exceeded an hour six times.

aatimes.jpg

• Like 1

Simon Jones

Well done Mike on getting 'the hour'!  It turned cloudy where I was yesterday but there were decent areas of lift around which were moving slowly.  I was aerotowing / gliding with my 1/4 scale Flair K8 and my friends 1/4 scale Olympia.  I had a 35 minute flight with the Olympia, most of which was around 400ft so we could enjoy watching it.  The glider weighs around 14lb so is no feather weight and it never ceases to amaze me that it can cruise round at near scale speeds in calm conditions and still climb in gentle lift!  My friend also has a K6e nearing completion which we hope to maiden soon.

Simon.