Sign in to follow this  
nucleardwarf

Schwing help required

nucleardwarf

Hi all,

Would someone be kind enough to post a picture, or describe how the rudder is held on (a picture says a thousand words!).  On arrival at the slope the other day, I removed the fuz from its bag and the rudder was just flapping about, obviously some sort of pin arrangement top and bottom are required for the re-fit but for the life of me I cannot make sense of it.

Any assistance will be gratefully accepted.

Cheers.

Mark.

satinet

I would be surprised if it's not a live hinge (peel ply or kevlar built in to the layup) or if not a silicone hinge. 

If that's the case then you want to buy yourself some geocel fish tank sealant. Tape the rudder back on and run a small bead of the sealant in to the hinge line from the side opposite to the tape. 

nucleardwarf

Thanks for the reply Satinet but isn't there some sort of pin top and bottom for the rudder to rotate on?

Phil.Taylor

just googled "schwing rudder" for you - this came up:

www.sloperacer.co.uk/_files/Schwing-instructions.pdf

looks like a moulded-in live hinge to me - presumably a "used" plane for that to come adrift? - first fix is just to use diamond tape as a hinge - then the proper fix is a silicone hinge, as Tom said

Phil.

nucleardwarf

Thanks Phil -  will have a look at that site and also purchase some geocel fish tank sealant and thank you once again to Tom.

:thumbsup:

Mark.

Phil.Taylor

not too thick with the silicone (and not too thin!) - "just right" to keep it nice & flexible ;)

if you're not in a hurry - have a practice run on some scrap stuff first

Phil.

satinet
45 minutes ago, nucleardwarf said:

Thanks for the reply Satinet but isn't there some sort of pin top and bottom for the rudder to rotate on?

No there isn't

what they do when the make the wing is put a layer of either peel ply (or kevlar cloth) in to the wing where the hinge line is.

When the wing or fuselage comes out of the mould there aren't any ailerons, flaps, rudders etc. These have to be cut out of the wing.  At the hinge they actually grind through the wing skin until they hit the peel ply and that's your hinge. Gap seals are added after this.

A few models have silicone hinges (the flaps on my tragi are hinged that way) but not really on modern planes. I think jaro muller did some models where the control surfaces were made in a separate mould, and possibly others, but that would be extremely unusual. 

Geocel hinges are extremely effective. I've repaired a number of hinge lines at not had any problems.  You want a thin bead, 1 or 2mm sort of size. Then work it i with a fine tool (bit of wood) if necessary.  Leave to dry in the neutral position. Taping the back is a must (especially if the rudder fell off!). I use geocell because it works well and it comes with an nozzle applicator.

nucleardwarf

Thanks Tom and Phil.

:thumbsup:

nucleardwarf

Just a quick note to say thanks again to Tom and Phil.  Repair to rudder highly successful using geocell.

:)

• Like 2

satinet

geocell is the nuts