Cancelled - BMFA F3K league event 10th Sept at Twywell

MikeDLG

Contest is cancelled due to weather not cooperating.

All are welcome, but BMFA insurance is a necessity. New contest pilots especially welcome.  

This F3K league event is to be held at Twywell - not far from Kettering.  This is a farm field and is normally grazed by sheep.

The start time will be 10:00 - please aim to arrive by 09:30 at the latest.

Entries close at 18:00 on Friday 9th Sept.

Please bring your BMFA Membership card to show for proof of insurance.

An entry fee of £10 per head will be charged for this event - please be ready to pay on the day - juniors free.

I'll update this table as the entries come in.

The lanes around the field are narrow and used by horse riders - please take care.

Tony M's map of the location is here.

Let me know who is coming by posting here or PMing me.  Give me your frequency and BMFA number.  

Pilot list:

1. Michael Stern           2.4GHz    136270

2. Mike Fantham

3. Simon Barker

4. Bruce H

5. Mike C

6. Neil P

7. Tony H

8. Tony B   35mhz

Yes please.

Tony Hickson, 171108, 2.4 GHz

(I don't see why you shouldn't enter with an Elf, but obviously it's up to the CD, Mike, to provide the definitive answer. Given he's flown one in a comp before I expect you'll be OK! Only issue is you may struggle if it's a bit breezy and getting it down quickly on the shorter tasks could be tricky. On the plus side, everyone with larger models will be terrified of getting beaten by you!)

Yes, absolutely no issue flying an Elf, it meets the F3k rules.  As Tony said, I have flown an Elf in a contest, actually one of the eurotour events as I damaged two of my gliders i was planning to take to the World champs and didn't want to risk any more.  I seem to remember beating a few people with it as well :)

Weather is looking touch and go at the mo.  The last time I looked, it was pretty windy in the morning and 90% chance of rain for most of the day.  Please make sure everyone planning to come checks this thread on Friday evening after 6pm as will will make a go/no go call by then.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2016 at 16:24, MikeDLG said:

....  I seem to remember beating a few people with it as well :) ...

That's not something I ever remember happening. Not ever. At all. No, definitely didn't happen.

1 hour ago, TonyHickson said:

That's not something I ever remember happening. Not ever. At all. No, definitely didn't happen.

Oh, I must be mistaken then ;-)

• Like 1

Unless there is a miraculous change in the forecast by 6pm, I will cancel tomorrow.  My trusty weather app says 95% chance of rain all day with fairly strong wind.  So not conducive to getting a contest in.

Hi there Mike, I don't dispute the decision but I wonder if you would mind telling me, XCweather has consistently indicated that rain would end by 1pm with light wind following. If the indication was for that rain to end at midday would you have called it on with a boggy field? I'd just like to know.

Cheers.

XC does seem to be the most optimistic, but there does seem to be a slight trend of the rain ending in the early afternoon.   But that field does tend to get a little slippery and trap vehicles, so yes, would cancel anyway due to heavy rain.  Also, even ending by midday, it is a long way to travel for some to only get a few rounds in, especially as there is no guarantee it would end by midday.  Of course, it might not rain at all! #BritishWeather

We have to publish league event dates well in advance so I include reserve dates in the calendar at the start of the year.  The next event is at ISA on Sept  24, with a reserve of Sept 25 both at the ISA field, Hockliffe, Beds.  The season-end reserve date is on Oct 1st and this will be used.  The TVSF  fIeld at Bracknell is booked for that one.

Nothing to prevent folks from organising non-league contests or fly-ins after the end of the season.