Midland winter league 2016

isoaritfirst

Mike,

I have just added my name for Saturday but if the wind direction is not conducive to good racing would rather not travel 5hrs.

let's hope the forecast improves.    andy

Don't worry Lee, you are not the only one who is more than a little keen, ask Andy... :D

Out of interest where are you checking the weather? Im looking at Church Stretton on accu weather and its showing SSE to S. Is there a more accurate location to search for? Or am I just subconsciously hoping we don't have to have a long walk... :lol:

Long walk or not I will be there if it's called on.

Brett 

isoaritfirst

I use xc. It's generally pretty good for the mynd. 

Not worth looking at predicted winds yet though. 

It's very rare they are anything like right before around Thursday 

• Like 2

True,  way to early to tell I suppose. Im trying to figure out if Church Stretton is the best location to check though or is there a more accurate location to search on for the top of the Mynd? 

isoaritfirst

You can look on the midland gliding station web cam. But to be honest, best not to overthink it. 

Forecast wind and direction could predict poor conditions but some days the strength of the rise in pressure gives such good lift that the wind seems secondary. 

• Like 1

Seven day to go yet.

The forecasters can't predict what Monday's going to be like never mind next Saturday.

We all need a positive attitude and no negativity.

See you all next Saturday on the hill side for a great first comp👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brett82 said:

True,  way to early to tell I suppose. Im trying to figure out if Church Stretton is the best location to check though or is there a more accurate location to search on for the top of the Mynd? 

Mike means look at myndcam.com but that tells you how the weather is now.

You can specify Long Mynd in the location box at top of XCWeather.com forecasts page, then add this to your favourites.

• Like 2

Cool, thanks guys. I will check out the cam for curiosity but otherwise I guess any location for that area will work because the weather report is a general direction, they don't take into account valleys and gullies or if a town is in the shadow of a slope. Talk about over thinking it... Sometimes I worry about myself, F3F gets me way to excited and my brain goes faster than my gliders. :huh:

Very true Les. for me its simple, if they are not predicteen the apocalypse then its going to be an awesome day for flying. 

See you guys on Saturday. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Is it still to early to mention the weather and get a little (OK very) excited? :D

4+ weather sites all showing 10-15 mph NW-NNW, am I right in thinking that is OK for the Reservoir? I've never flown there so I don't know if its possible to fly there if its a bit too Northerly. 

Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday.

Brett

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

Over the last couple of years I have found a lower area of the reseviour slope that does work extremely well. Although it is temperamental to direction. As the wind shifts more towards the E then the better slope is the edge closer to town bank 

both can be good but both can be fussy with direction. Anywhere from NE to ENE will be fine. 

N is poor for F3f.

ESE shifts slope again to town bank. 

Current forecast looks promising for a good day. 

Alrhough current direction change may cause a slope move mid day. Let's hope it settles a little more on one or the other. 

• Like 2

isoaritfirst

Hi Guys,

The forecast for tomorrow is cause for a little head scratching.

We need an element of E.

If the current forecast proves to be accurate then we should be ok from late morning onwards.

So meet at the top carpark of the Burway hill for 9.30am. 

Who believes forecasts anyway?

• Like 1