South of England F3F

Pete Burgess

A splendid comp in challenging conditions, and some great flying from our visitors! Thanks to all to all who came from abroad making this such a special comp, and of course to JP and helpers.

Report and pics

http://rc-soar.com/gallery/2016/seo/index.php

Standouts for me were Inaki's sheer pace, chatting to 'Barny' about OpenTx and talking about photos with Tomas W! An all round good weekend.

• Like 5

Another fantastic Eurotour event on the beautiful ESSA slopes!

I really enjoyed flying with the German team on Thursday from Beachy Head and Seven Sisters, and was delighted to take receipt of my newly installed Avatar, bought from the Austrian F3B team at the Welsh Open last year. Big thank you to Daniel S for kindly rigging the airframe with an HV set-up!

Competition wise, it was really tough but we were treated to a master class of point-to-point flying from Inaki - great fun to watch and a richly deserved 1st place and FTC.

Dieter and Peter were equally consistent and always squeezed the very best from their Caldera R's, again flying a very direct course, and only really opening the turns as the air came good. Tobias and Radovan didn't get the best of the conditions, but performed flawlessly throughout.

Bit of a mixed bag for the Brits, with Gunga and Mark Treble getting the worst of the air. Jason Bioletti and Mike Shellim on the other hand, really began to sparkle with their new models (Freestyler and N115V). Loved the look of Martin D's new Jedi Lift too - pace and turn performance oozing from the airframe 😀 The heavily ballasted Radical Jazz flown by Inaki looked really good, as did the German FS4 with aftermarket fuse and re-profiled V tails. From what I could gather, the moment arm of the fuselage sat somewhere between the stock FS3 and FS4 components, and was probably closer to the FS5 in length - enter the FS4.5 with tailplane mods!!!

Simon, JP and myself had a bit of a ding dong to see who could make the top 10 - in the end we all did, though JP and I both fluked one thermal apiece to get us there. Simon had no such luck, but still made the cut.

Graeme, Tony and my good pal, Daniel Schneider had indifferent air from the outset, but all flew immaculately to maximise the available lift.

Personally, I couldn't get to grips with the slope at all and pretty much tried every setting, ballast configuration and turn technique to prevent myself from dropping out of the top 20. Very happy with the final result though and equally delighted with the Avatar's performance, which I think could be pretty special with the application of Tungsten. Time will tell.....

Thanks as always to the excellent work of JP, Pete, Gary, John T and Simon for running an excellent event!

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 8

I can just join in with Expressing delight about this good eurotour competition. Challenging 3 days with Quite different conditions from Rain to sun, well this is what we always expect. 😄

Also many thanks to John and Team to make this Event possible again.

See you nett year,

Peter

• Like 2

On 20.09.2016 at 22:47, Greg Dakin said:

the German FS4 with aftermarket fuse and re-profiled V tails. From what I could gather, the moment arm of the fuselage sat somewhere between the stock FS3 and FS4 components, and was probably closer to the FS5 in length - enter the FS4.5 with tailplane mods!!!

In FS5, the spacing of the wings and tail are almost the same as in FS3. FS5 tail has a larger surface area and other angles. But the FS4.5 concept is worthy of attention and probably will be checked :P

I wish I got to such nice competition, but my son's wedding does not happen too often. :)

See you next time, I hope

Jurek