Skorpion F3F Set-up Advise/Help

Brett82

3 minutes ago, Stefan Bertschi said:

And yes I use a bit of reflex +/- 1.5mm on the flaps (and aillerons alligned) but when I think properly about it the linkage has so much tolerance that it can be everything from -1mm to +4mm :-)

Haha, love it. I can just imagine standing there expecting reflex and getting camber then shouting at the model "nein, nein, nein! You will fly how I tell you to fly!"

Thanks Stefan, I appreciate the help, and the laugh... 

Ha the good old sKorp fantastic model to fly:thumbsup: but i think i contributed to the flick conspiracy! in my early F3F days i flew the skorp with 8mm of elevator which gave me a wapping turn in the reversal but the flick was very close at that and the skorp did bite me in the first euro tour comp at levisham 2006? i think, right in front of thuro as he watched :bye:...he showed me the snap set up and i reduced the elevator right down to 5mm, from then on.

some vid of Dave wrights skorp in action:

• Like 1

Hi Sloper

8 mm up travel and being bitten with the designer looking on, I think you very likely did contributed to the flick conspiracy...

That's a great video, I am wondering if there was a bit of a cross wind because it seemed to pick up speed really nicely on the left base. You can see how it got a reputation as a quick model, I would have loved to have seen the 27.xx run when it set the world record. 

After all the replies and PM's I think I've got a starting point. COG at 105mm, elevator +-5 mm, a decent amount of snapflap and forget about reflex until I've had some stick time to get to know her. She is quick enough without it to begin with and then when I do want to add some only add 1 - 1 1/2 mm. I will start off with rudder the same as elevator and after some more stick time I will adjust.

If you still have some thoughts then please reply, I'm always open to suggestions. And if you know of any Skorp videos then please post them, Ive been trying to find the one with the crazy flick but cant remember where I found the link.

Thanks all.

Brett

There's a thing!

The image I use for my avatar was taken at that HoH comp by Paul Judd, and features Me & my Skorpion stepping up to fly.

• Like 1

Just picked up the Skorpion and Mini Ellipse from Pete, what a top bloke. 

The Skorpion is in really good condition and looks stunning, especially when you consider how much he asked for them. Thanks Pete.

Now to get them programmed and start putting in some flying time. Can't wait. 

• Like 1

Here's a short video of my Skorpion (amongst others) making nice noises at Firle Beacon.  Don't worry, the sensitive amongst you, we were further away from the Paragliders than it looks in the video!

The video isn't up to Paul's usual fantastic stand as his camera was having interlacing issues at the time, but look around his site, there are some brilliant creations on there

http://goodwindsoaring.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/firles-phonics.html

Simon

• Like 1

Man they sound good, I love the way you can get a model glider to whistle like that. 

I had a look at that blog and there were some fairly good looking hillside honeys there, although some had a bit too much chest hair for my liking... :D

True

but :poke:

I will always enjoy it just like I enjoy the wheat sometimes used in beer and ale even though its more economical to use wheat as food. :D