Energy management turns

Lee Morgan

OK this em turns seems to have become the in thing since I left and returned flying.

Anyone care to explain the theory and how to's?  

Cheers 

Lee

P.s I will be posting more daft questions along the way :)

• Like 2

Some of the newer models go very fast. 

Such slippy sections perhaps are less able to bang a tight reversal. 

It thetefore can be better to let them run. 

On some slopes you can also find sheer layers that can work a little like Ds. 

This is not so common and requires a particular landscape, but when it does work it makes any other type of turn superflous

• Like 1

Lee you need to pop over to the Mynd. 

It's easier to show you and explain how it works.

One of us can fly and show you how to try and keep the energy in the glider when doing EM turns.

There's a few of us how are usually up flying every weekend. 

Just drop us a PM on a Friday evening and we can let you know what day we are flying.

Nice one

Like I said send me,Mike or Andy a PM and if it's visible to fly we'll be out to play.

Hopefully the year's Winter comps should be good.

• Like 1

My piece on how to improve in F3F is on the GBSRA website and explains ( as best I know how) the difference between different turn styles.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, oipigface said:

My piece on how to improve in F3F is on the GBSRA website and explains ( as best I know how) the difference between different turn styles.

Just read it, thanks for that,  and yes I need more friends with whistles lol 

Lee

The VR in 2010 was held in France and the French had been busy developing new models (Alliaj HM) and practising on the site of the race. They discovered just as Mike hinted earlier that a particular spot on the frontside of the hill worked very well if you incorporated a different type of turn (not bank and yank) and almost ds'd the front side.

They kept this very quiet but as practice started and video's began to appear on the net in the days before the race it was evident that the French were on to something. Pierre Rondel (as usual) seemed to excel but the change in turn style was so marked that other countries were caught by surprise and it took a while for the other contestants to realise what was going on.

The French had clearly done their homework with 7 French pilots finishing in the top ten and Pierre winning of course. All podium positions were French.

The turn at the time wasn't called EM turns but following the VR, pilots began to practice this style on other hills and experimented with lots of ballast. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't but as the models further developed it has quickly become en vogue with average race flight times going ever quicker.

Andy

Edited by slopetrashuk
spelling
  • Like 3

Thanks for that Andy, I will see how I find each turn with my current model selection and basically see what works and what doesn't, I don't think I'll be starting and trends but my main goal is to lower my f3f times :)

Lee