Sign in to follow this  
pete beadle

Potting MPX green connectors

pete beadle

Hi all

I'm fairly sure this subject has been covered here before but can't find it on Search

How do members suggest I pot the terminals in the "inside" of the MPX green connectors, where the leads attach, to reduce the chance of putting strain on the soldered joints, when connecting/disconnecting them from the fuselage mounted male green connectors, (which are permanently epoxied in place in the slots provided)

I want to be able to have 4-5" of flexible lead exiting the wing, that I can connect to the fixed connector in the fuselage, then slide the wing fully on, pushing the lead back into the wing......

I've seen the "potting mould" sold by T9 but don't want to use this type....

So, what do you guys suggest/prefer? Please let me know - and a pic or two might help......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702.

Brett82

Hi Pete

I havent done it before but I saw something online which seemed to make perfect sense and is fairly simple to do. Once soldered, wrap the connector in tape in a way that lets the tape form "walls" around the soldered wires but is tightly stuck to the body of the connector. It should protrude over the wires by about 5-10 mm. Then simply thicken some epoxy with micro balloons and fill in the area and wait for it to dry then unwrap the tape.

If I can find the link to it I will post it on here but for the life of me I cannot remember where I saw it. I'm going to give it a go with the green connector I have soldered to the wing cables of the Mini Ellipse. I was planning on doing it in the next few days if you want me to post some pics.

Brett

Ribs

I don't know if others have experience using it, but sugru could be perfect for this job I think. It is a room temperature rubber adhesive that has strain relief as one of its core applications - look it up here: 

https://sugru.com/

It's pretty cool stuff.

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Ribs

Can't find any reference to Sugru's long term resistance to UV, have you?

Do you know if it is? Have you used it in outdoor applications yourself?

Obviously the leads would hang outside the wing, possibly even out of the wing-bag quite often so it'd be an important thing to know

Where do you get it in the UK? I've never heard of it before....

Brett, my original idea was to stick that blue US masking tape to three sides of the connector, forming a sort of scoop and to tilt the connector downwards with one face edge on the bench then run the epoxy in little by little, gradually reducing the "slope" of the connector - what worries me is whether the tape adhesion is strong enough for long enough to allow two or even three "top-ups"

Yes please, a pic or two of how your idea turns out would be good also.....

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Ribs

Hi Pete,

This is what is stated on their website, on the 'About Sugru' page:

"This little pack of mouldable glue bonds tight. A little hook made of Sugru can hold up to 2kg of weight. And once it’s turned into rubber, it will stand up to extreme weather and UV rays, no problem."

It used to be only available online, but recently I saw it for sale in B&Q.

Worth a look anyway - they have all sorts of cool ideas for using it.

pete beadle

Hi Ribs

I'll try my local B&Q see if its on their stock list - and where......the idea intrigues me:thumbsup:

Pete

BARCS1702

czorzella

This is what I do to keep the wires and connectors from working loose during flight and to act as strain relief while installing and working on cables.

1) Once soldered, wrap each individual wire with heat shrink tubing;
2) Put some liquid electrical tape around the wires (Plast Dip also works well) and let it dry;
3) Put a large heat shrink tubing around all cables and MPX connector.

Please refer to attached images.

Carlos

IMG_7896.JPG

IMG_7899.JPG

IMG_8195.PNG

Darren_O

Screwfix sell Sugru.

pete beadle

Hi Darren and Ribs

I've found that my local B&Q "Superstore" stock Sugru, and have some in stock

Trouble is, the price.....the packs the Sugru comes in are either 3 five mg sticks for £6.00 or 8 for £9.70 plus £3.00 postage (B&Q don't stock the 8's so their price comes from Amazon) it will take two 5 gram sticks to do each green connector so potting my two connectors with Sugru will be £4.00 each!

Substantially dearer than the connectors themselves (99p per pair) and the epoxy resin combined........

I think I'll wait to see if someone can suggest a cheaper alternative - I have to say the Sugru idea is/was only really appealing as it looked easier to work with one-handed....... 

Thanks for your suggestion Czorzella, trouble is, I don't know what Plast Dip is (an adhesive?) but, when I last tried to cover the green connectors with large diameter heatshrink, alone they worked a treat twice, then slid off, because of the lack of adhesive holding them on - oh and cyano is no good it just hardens the rubber and makes it brittle.......

Can you keep the suggestions coming chaps........ please?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Bobbyr

Hot Glue ,

then heat shrink tube over the top :)

Bob

• Like 2

Brett82

Hi Pete 

I will try do it in the next few days, don't think I will get it done tonight. 

While trying to find it on Google I saw a post on another forum saying what I had said and that they had seen it on Kevin Newits site. I couldn't find it though. 

The pics I saw had all four sides wrapped, then the epoxy poured in from the top keeping it level. They used the blue tape too.

Brett 

gem

Hi Pete,

if you go to Esoaring gadgets web site, they sell a mould for these plugs. You assemble the mould then pump full with hot melt glue. Makes a neat, soft joint.

I've used these on my mix connectors and am very pleased with the result.

regards

.         Garry

satinet

I use goop.

What ever you use, it's better to do with the connector connected to the opposite side so the pins don't set in a bad position. 

• Like 2

pete beadle

Hi chaps

Bulk reply

Sorry Brett, using the blue masking tape all round the connector gives the epoxy twice the chance of leaking

Bobbyr - Hot glue isn't thin enough to fill the gaps between the pins, allowing them to move

gem - The Esoaring gadgets mould is the same one as on T9's website and costs £25.00 - I don't want to pay that, plus the resulting moulded "pot" is too bulky

Tom - I've never used Goop, but if that's an adhesive I'd rather use epoxy - thanks anyway - and I'll have to plug the "floating" connector in the wing into the fixed fuselage connector but, if that's needed I'll do it......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

isoaritfirst

Hot glue works fine. Just pump it into the space between the pins. As it starts to cool squeeze it with wet fingers to the shape you need. Further fine tuning of the finished shape can be done with a hot knife or chisel. Chisel works best as it has the mass to hold the heat longer 

• Like 2

satinet
32 minutes ago, pete beadle said:

Hi chaps

Bulk reply

Sorry Brett, using the blue masking tape all round the connector gives the epoxy twice the chance of leaking

Bobbyr - Hot glue isn't thin enough to fill the gaps between the pins, allowing them to move

gem - The Esoaring gadgets mould is the same one as on T9's website and costs £25.00 - I don't want to pay that, plus the resulting moulded "pot" is too bulky

Tom - I've never used Goop, but if that's an adhesive I'd rather use epoxy - thanks anyway - and I'll have to plug the "floating" connector in the wing into the fixed fuselage connector but, if that's needed I'll do it......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

Hot glue, goop, epoxy etc all work. You're only trying to stop fatigue of the solder joints that all. The reason I use goop is because the viscosity is such that it can be worked to the shape you want without sliding off. Think somewhere between hot glue and silicone. I wouldn't got out and buy it for that job alone though.

I just plug the connector in to a spare. It doesn't have to be the model.

• Like 1

Graham_C
8 hours ago, Brett82 said:

Hi Pete

I havent done it before but I saw something online which seemed to make perfect sense and is fairly simple to do. Once soldered, wrap the connector in tape in a way that lets the tape form "walls" around the soldered wires but is tightly stuck to the body of the connector. It should protrude over the wires by about 5-10 mm. Then simply thicken some epoxy with micro balloons and fill in the area and wait for it to dry then unwrap the tape.

If I can find the link to it I will post it on here but for the life of me I cannot remember where I saw it. I'm going to give it a go with the green connector I have soldered to the wing cables of the Mini Ellipse. I was planning on doing it in the next few days if you want me to post some pics.

Brett

I've used this method, it worked a treat! Quick, easy and inexpensive.

• Like 1

Brett82
2 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Pete 

I wasn't sure what you meant or how it would increase the chances of leaking so curiosity got the better of me and I had a go. 

Firstly as mentioned before when soldering the MPX connector I wasn't sure I would Pott it with epoxy so I used small pieces of heat shrink. When I do this again I won't use the heat shrink as it takes up space where the epoxy would go.

Secondly I didn't have the blue tape so I tried a few and decide to go with electric insulation tape. You can see in the picture how the lip of the connector shows through so you can make sure its sealed all the way around. 

Thirdly I would fold a section of the tape over so there is no sticky portion of the tape touching the cables. I only thought about this after applying the epoxy but I still think it turned out ok for a first attempt. No leakage at all, in fact the insulation tape sealed it perfectly and the epoxy didn't go anywhere near the lip of the connector. 

The blue tack just stopped it falling over while it dried and to let me take some pics. 

DSC_0024-1280x720.JPG

DSC_0025-1280x720.JPG

DSC_0026-1280x720.JPG

DSC_0027-1280x720.JPG

• Like 1

Bernie Jones

Used correctly the Winkler plug moulds are very effective and not bulky at all, yes they are £25 but can be used over and over again so not bad costs for a very neat bit of engineering, see the photos below, maybe look at buying one and sharing it within a club or build group.

Good quality glue gun, bit of release agent and job is done very quickly, remember its worth plugging the  MPX plug and socket together while soldering to help transfer heat and keep the pins in line, 

Bernie

mpx mould 3.jpg

mpx mould 5.jpg

• Like 1

czorzella
8 minutes ago, Bernie Jones said:

Used correctly the Winkler plug moulds are very effective and not bulky at all, yes they are £25 but can be used over and over again so not bad costs for a very neat bit of engineering, see the photos below, maybe look at buying one and sharing it within a club or build group.

Good quality glue gun, bit of release agent and job is done very quickly, remember its worth plugging the  MPX plug and socket together while soldering to help transfer heat and keep the pins in line, 

Bernie

mpx mould 3.jpg

mpx mould 5.jpg

Bernie, the result of these Winkler plug moulds looks fantastic. Where can we buy it?

Carlos