15th Mosquito 14 Day Challenge

Tony Beckett

Tony Beckett

Phil said:- "Heavy rain forecasted for this PM but saw a break & had a fling with the Elf around 5pm

Very interesting conditions, no wind, some whiffs of lift & a cracking looking sky!

It was a session of making every second count & every extra second brought a smile to my face! 

Finally got a best of 1:24 

Phil Carter 1/10/16 Elf 1:24"

aatimes.jpg

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your  Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Please post your times as follows:-. Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, model name, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. Previous challenges for 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 can be seen at www.f3k.uk

Sunday evening saw a great forecast for today! Elf taken to work but no opportunity to fly. So when home at 4pm went over to my field with little hope of finding much.

I was right, little lift & only managed a 2:24 which I was happy with......until 4:30pm Boom! Caught beautiful low & steady lift & just drifted up & up in it over into the next field. Big smiles for the time of day!

Phil carter Elf 3/10/16 7:43

Nice. I took my elf to the field only to find the rudder horn had come adrift. And my special 'no cure' superglue was 'no use'. Went home and ate some chocolate cake instead :-) Going to try again this evening...

• Like 1

Not a great evening. I rushed out as it was the last chance for 3 weeks or so due to travel with work. Dodged the rain showers, got 1m28 best, then it appears the receiver battery came loose and I launched into the ground. Doh. I will be starting a thread 'advice on fixing a broken fuse...' Hey ho, that's modelling. It will keep me busy when I get back.

Double Doh! Sorry to hear your news Pete. Hope it's an easy fix.

Good time for the weather & conditions today, hopefully you'll have it flying again soon & see what times we can squeeze out of the elfs in the coming colder months!! 

1 hour ago, Pete Heywood said:

Not a great evening. I rushed out as it was the last chance for 3 weeks or so due to travel with work. Dodged the rain showers, got 1m28 best, then it appears the receiver battery came loose and I launched into the ground. Doh. I will be starting a thread 'advice on fixing a broken fuse...' Hey ho, that's modelling. It will keep me busy when I get back.

Is it like this Pete?

It actually broke behind the wing, which is maybe a bit odd... Given my ineptitude, think I may just go with a replacement fuselage, as I will probably stick myself to my workbench and fail to fix the break. But should be fun trying anyway. Hopefully a 'bandage' of carbon will do the trick.

Another win for Phil in this, the 15th Mosquito Challenge of the year.

aatimes.jpg

16th Challenge starts today - I shan't start a new thread until someone posts a time here, weather doubtful for the next few days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Conditions today where too good to miss!

Strike 2 in van but clouds soon rolled in.

11:30am and a break in the clouds! Working in sutton Cambridgeshire and went back to the school flying field I'd used in the summer with the elf.

As I've recently had to replace the V stab on the strike I really just expected a trimming session. Trimmed out perfectly in no time and was flying better than ever. 

Warm sun & was getting lift & a few 2's & 3's. Nice Launch & got into beautiful lift with very little drift due to hardly any wind.

landed with 7:53 on timer. 

Few more launches & then a hedge jumped out at me & had to rescue, sun went in, I went back to work. 

Strike 2 is a joy to fly in these conditions

Phil Carter  25/10/16  Strike 2  7:53