wiper replacement

andyharrold

Hi,

Having suffered a bit of damage ( delam) on the rear spar of my JJedge I removed the wiper to assist in access.

It appears to be no more than diamond tape. it is even sticky all over.

The spar repair is now complete. Can I just use a strip of diamond tape as a replacement?

thanks,    andy

Andy,

There is no right or wrong way to make AIL wipers. If it works for you then no worries.

My method, and there are many more, is to use a strip of 12mm wide sticky tape (Magic or Blenderm) with 6mm audio tape (C90) applied to one edge giving a non sticky (wiping) surface.

Regards Ian

Boffin is right, everyone has their way. Mine is to use Diamond tape, usually cut a bit narrower that standard by sticking the bit you want to loose along a straight edge table and then cutting with a knife. Stick it on with the moving surface deflected, then blow talc onto the exposed sticky bit to de-sticky it. I've found this to be quick, easy and reliable. Got in a bit of a tangle when I tried to use audio tape and found this way easier for me. It does mean you end up with a half white wiper. I tried some carbon spray lube stuff instead of talc to get a black one but it didn't work. Johnson's baby powder it is.

Reggie Perrin

If you can't live with the white wipers produced by using Talc, use some black toner from a laser printer.....

Be prepared for some mess though as it gets everywhere! and be careful not to get it on anything electrical as it's conductive...

Reg

Thanks for the replies. I checked on the forum this morning and as there were no replies at that time decided on the Diamond tape and talc.

As Tony says, very easy to do. I stuck 5mm of the tape to a straight edge, turned it over, applied talc, rubbed in with finger.

And at lunchtime today it was back in a thermal!!  and it smells lovely!