International Winter Postal

Tony Beckett

See:-

www.rcdc.nl/wp/   For this Winters competition, which starts in November.
The first task, which is the "Big Ladder"  would fit nicely with the 14 Day Challenges so you could use your best time in both events.

Tony

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well done Mike - if the conditions were the same as Wantage that was a good result.  I plan to have another go at the postal tomorrow too.

Bright sunshine and a variable drift makes an enjoyable change.
Lift conditions were similar to those Simon mentioned in "12th F3K 14 Day Duration Challenge".

I managed a 2:15......

I still couldn't better 2mins. Was out midday today Wed 30th and had two tries then went free flying and after a 4 minute flit I managed 11.14 with zeros and 1's with sunshine in glorious stillness. Well done Tony, Mike and Simon.

Well done Tony for your 2.15 yesterday - a good result with marginal lift.

Last chance today and after my 10.59 'warm up' flight I had a go at the postal.  I wasted 1.20 and 1.43 trying to get the 1.45 and decided to start again.  On the second attempt I got to 1.45 'clean' and then had two attempts at the 2.00 and found some decent lift on this flight which I was able to re-launch into to get 2.15.  I just managed 2.30 (2.32 at a stretch) but I had a couple of attempts at 2.45 and 3.00 including landing in a bush on the edge of the field!  I launched for 3.15 but knew I would run out of time which happened 1.35 into the flight.  So, I bettered my previous time and have 180 secs.

Simon

• Like 1

Lovely day today and managed a 1334 total for Task 2. Longest flight was 3:24. One other just over 3 minutes. 4 minutes felt like it would of been a stretch as I was coming down slowly rather than maintaining in whatever lift there was, but probably should have managed a few more flights over 3 minutes. Only one attempt as work beckoned, one half launch test flight and then the 30 minute window. Very tired Lipo in the plane only just made it to thirty minutes in the cold too.

Well done Tony.  I had a frustrating session as my launch peg broke after the first 'scouting' launch (2 1/2 mins) which meant that was it.  I only had the one model with me and no time to get another.  The air felt similar to what you had with 3- 3/ 1/2 mins at a stretch.  Tomorrow is out as I have a work commitment and then the weather deteriorates a bit.

My work commitment was moved which meant I could get out with a different model and have a first crack at task 2.  It was overcast with zero wind and I started the timer on my third launch.  Amazingly, I picked up a bubble of buoyant air at about 60ft 2 mins in and this was enough to just crack 4 minutes, so the perfect start I was looking for.  I went back for the same lift but failed to connect and next 4 flights were 1.53, 2.26, 2.22 and 1.51 in pretty dead air.  I connected with another bubble on the next flight and this slowed my descent to give a 3.42.  This was followed by a 1.05 (came in early) and then 4 more dead air flights 1.59, 1.55, 2.28 and 2.24.  Best 10 flights gave 1449 secs.

I was out Friday, encouraged by the NE drift; not so encouraging was the complete, thick, medium level cloud cover, which towards the end of the 30 minutes produced light rain. I didn't make 2 minutes in any flight......

Total was 894 secs.

• 2 weeks later...

No mist or rain at Melton on Saturday and I managed a set of flights that got me off the bottom of the list, but only just, with a 1271.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

See post below in duration challenge:-

I went late morning with the Snipe which was lost and recovered last week.  I just did some temporary repairs to the leading edges with Diamond Tape.  The sun was out and the wind was much lighter than forecast so quite pleasant.  The conditions were unusual, some decent bubbles of lift, quite strong sink in between, but the lift disappeared at about 250-300ft.  It was also difficult to hook up with more than one bubble of lift per flight and although I was achieving 3 mins+ with most flights I couldn't crack 5 mins.

I also flew the international postal and managed a 3 flight run of 4.17, 4.19 and 4.21 for a MAX - interestingly, these were the best times I could get rather than going for 'task' times.