Northern Winter League

Jon_E

Many thanks guys.

Yes, a demanding but fun day to open the Northern WL series - good call from Jon to get the proceedings under way!

Great to meet Steve at long last, and also receive a low down from Mark R on the WCs - makes you feel back on the scene.

Flying was challenging to say the least - choppy, crossed and sometimes thermal assisted. Still pondering on how to correctly manage a downwind turn with a heavily loaded model....

Here's to more of the same next month, minus the showers.

Cheers

Greg

• Like 2

Well done guys, sounds like a great time was had, I'm hoping to get along to some of the meets this WL. 

Congratulations, Greg, well done :)

Tony

Thanks Jon, it was an enjoyable challenge! Getting that downwind turn right was rewarding when you did and punishing when you didn't. It took me two rounds to work it out and blow the cob webs off my thumbs!

The fish & chips with people watching in Whitby was top notch on the way home as it was goth weekend. Loads of middle aged goths this year, it appears you are never too old to look like a wierdo ;)

• Like 4

Thanks Peter. Must make an effort to get to Whitby on Goth weekend. I believe its a great spectacle, and by adding the best fish and chips in the world, you get a great day out

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

A reminder that the 2nd Round of the Northern Winter League is due this Saturday 3rd Dec.

The weather is doing its best to stop us second guessing the outcome for the weekend, so the usual call will be made on Friday evening

Regards

Jon

I'd love to join you all, Jon, unfortunately though I'm working :(

There's a couple of meets coming up where I'm days off but (due to a new baby at home!!!) I've not had chance to fly my Pike or Sunbird since their rebuilds.

I might still come along for the social event to help out with buzzers etc. and I might even fly if the weather isn't to bad...

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks Tony

I don't think you need worry about this weekend.

Wind speeds are going to be below our limit, so it is very unlikely we will be running a competition tomorrow.

However, ever optomistic, I will make the usual call at around 7pm this evening.

regard

Jon

59 minutes ago, Steve Haley said:

Electric F3F Jon...!!

To echo a recent discussion: this would be legal now at Whitesheet, but not at the Long Mynd.

NIce thought Steve, we certainly won't be able to fly without some assistance, electric or otherwise tomorrow.

With virtually no wind shown, I think we can safely say Saturdays Winter League is OFF

Looks like a good day for a spot of eSoaring though :)

So, hope you all have a great December, and see you on the 7th Jan 2017

Regards

Jon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oipigface said:

To echo a recent discussion: this would be legal now at Whitesheet, but not at the Long Mynd.

See John. Flouting the rules already!

electric at whitesheet is for assist to save a land out not for flying about with.  😜

Good call Jon.

I was hoping for 3m/s so that I could fly my Avatar again, but sadly it wasn't to be....

January it is then 😀

Cheers,

Greg

2 hours ago, isoaritfirst said:

See John. Flouting the rules already!

electric at whitesheet is for assist to save a land out not for flying about with.  😜

But that's what eF3F is, isn't it? Get some height with the electric assist, and do 10 laps as fast as poss. No violation of the rules at all.

I guess we need some clarification of the rule...

The way I read it you're only allowed a motor to stop you having to fetch a model from the bottom if the wind stops. That's not quite the same as powering up to a great height and using the energy to do ten laps.

Thinking out loud (or even in print!), but maybe the BMFA could adopt a similar stance to what the BGA/CAA has with regard to full size powered sailplanes. There are two types of powered sailplanes, Sustainers (often referred to as Turbos) and Self Launchers. 

Sustainers have a restricted amount of power, they can't climb much and are forbidden to self launch. The plus side of this setup is you can fly them with a glider licence, you don't need a Powered Licence. 

The BMFA could adopt a similar approach here and introduce a Sustainer only model type which would be the only type approved with these new rules.

Tony

• Like 1