Northern Winter League

Jon_E

3 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

The way I read it you're only allowed a motor to stop you having to fetch a model from the bottom if the wind stops. That's not quite the same as powering up to a great height and using the energy to do ten laps.

The Whitesheet definitions of permitted categories of aircraft are as follows:

Glider A model sailplane with no form of propulsion system fitted. Any model designed to fly and climb solely by slope or thermal lift, falls into this category.

Self-Launching Glider A model sailplane whose primary flight mode is unpowered soaring. Such a model may have an electric propulsion system used to gain altitude, at the beginning of a flight, when slope lift is insufficient or is not working on one of the available slopes.

I may be wrong, but an eF3F plane (to be flown in power-assisted mode only when winds are below the legal limit of 3m/s) clearly falls within this definition of a Self-Launching Glider.

Would anyone from the club care to comment?

• Like 1

John

Your interpretation of the rules is definitely not how I understand the new rules. This I think is down to the ambiguity of "power assist"

I to look forward to a response from someone on the club committee to clarify this , certainly before we have powered F3F models flying around on a day with wind less than 3m/s when other club members are flying their light wind floaters

It will be interesting to see the response, lets hope we get clarification

Martin

A lightly loaded f3f plane will fly quite happily in much less than 3m/s. 

Just increase launch time. If you want to run a comp in less. 

One mans meat is another man poison. 

1 hour ago, drewetm said:

John

Your interpretation of the rules is definitely not how I understand the new rules. This I think is down to the ambiguity of "power assist"

I to look forward to a response from someone on the club committee to clarify this , certainly before we have powered F3F models flying around on a day with wind less than 3m/s when other club members are flying their light wind floaters

It will be interesting to see the response, lets hope we get clarification

Martin

Perhaps I should add before anyone gets the wrong idea, that I don't really fancy eF3F as a way of spending time on a slope, and I certainly wouldn't want to go to an organised competition in the format, but I do think we should know what the rules do and do not permit.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 13:42, Peter G said:

All you need is a hat (with gogges) and a long coat Jon, reckon you could rock that look no problem :D

Steam punks Peter !!!!! get with it Man !!!lol like I know what I am talking about !!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys, happy new year to you all.

3rd Round of the Northern Winter League is this Saturday 7th Jan.

Cheers

Jon

Edited by Jon_E

42 minutes ago, Jon_E said:

Thanks John, doesn't seem to matter how much I check before posting....

Post updated

Happy New Year :) 

Has anyone looked at the forecast for Saturday yet?

Mine doesn't look too good. Low wind and fog :( 

ps, I'm pretty sure the app. this screenshot was taken from indicates the way the wind is blowing, not where it is from, like is usually the case. So in this case it is East / North East

Tony

IMG_0684.PNG

Jon - Its obviously not looking great for tomorrow.....do we have the option to reschedule for Sunday and/or consider next weekend?

Just a thought....

Steve

48 minutes ago, Steve Haley said:

Jon - Its obviously not looking great for tomorrow.....do we have the option to reschedule for Sunday and/or consider next weekend?

Just a thought....

Steve

reserve rounds will kick in, making it a busi feb/march

Sorry Guys, but I think we can safely say tomorrows comp is OFF.

Virtually no wind again forecast for our region, just confirmed by our local tv forecast.

Yes, we are now into reserve territory, so the next dates will be :-

4th / 18th Feb, and same again for March.

Fingers crossed

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I hardly dare mention it, but Round 4 of the Northern Winter League is this coming Saturday, 4th Feb.

Current XC forecast is dire, so surely it can only improve from now?

Call Friday evening as usual

Jon

• Like 1

The BBC forecast is much more optimistic for a change!

I may have been slightly critical of BBC forecasting in the past :whistle: but they are growing on me...

It's rarely easy is it Jon, fingers crossed.

Yeehaa!

Great forecast or what? Tomorrows comp is ON

SSW / SW winds 14-25mph with little or no rain forecast.

Haven't flown since last November , so this will be a shock to the system! 

Actual wind direction will dictate which slope to use, as there is some variation between forecasts.

Meet 9:30 in the main car park.

See you all bright and early

Jon

• Like 4

Now we're talking - at long last the weather gods shine down!!!

Same boat as you Jon, not flown since last time we met. Trimming flights needed!!!!

See you in the morning.

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 1