ESC / throttle problem

Nick Jackson

• Committee Member

A friend reports this problem: motor not starting until the throttle is almost fully open so rev range compressed into little stick movement. Radio is an elderly Spektrum, I think 7 channel, and ESC one of HK's finest, for which he has the programming card. 

I'll have more detail if necessary when he brings round the equipment at the weekend under the (wholly erroneous) impression I know lots about ESC setup but I'm looking for any generic wisdom, please, in advance. Does this sound like a tx endpoint rather than an ESC issue?

Hi Nick,

Another tip, the programming "beeps" don't work through the height limiter so make sure it's out and the power supply is direct to the receiver.

Spent most of one comp trying to reset mine only to be given this info late in the day. 

• Like 2

It is almost certainly a transmitter problem rather than the ESC.

Put a servo in the channel that the motor control is on instead of the ESC to trouble shoot.

• Like 1

To rule the tx out of the equation use a servo tester on the ESC (which will need to calibrate itself to the servo tester, so take the servo tester to the max travel before powering up the ESC, then reduce it to the min travel position).

Try the Tx after the ESC has been calibrated to the servo tester - the problem might be fixed. 

• Like 1

• Committee Member

Lots of ideas to try out there - many thanks. Will post after the weekend to report back on how it goes. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Committee Member

We managed this afternoon to calibrate the throttle properly, using the programming card with the tx and the trim fully down as recommended here. Transpires there is a further problem of the motor producing hugely inadequate power (ARTF IC Wot 4 conversion on <300W!) but I think that's a problem of too small a prop / 4S where 5S needed rather than ESC settings).

Thanks again for the help and I do hope no-one found the wait for this further information too stressful.