Detachable fin?

Redbird

HI guys, I wonder if anyone knows a good way to fit a fin to a slot in a carbon boom without glue. I am assembling a Destiny V2 and (like many other gliders I believe) it uses an xps foam/glass fin with a rudder so fine it will be easily damaged, same for tailplane and elevator. I can't ask the Czech maker because he has hardly any English. If it was as tough as the excellent Vortex carbon rudder then I could just glue and be happy.

Could I line the slot with paper to make a good socket and pin with carbon or dowel? Thanks for any suggestions.

I would attach the fin as it's designed to fit. Use a small patch of 25g glass cloth either side where the fin meets the boom.

I don't quite understand what you are saying because it's two different issues. The fin breaking of from the boom isn't going to be heavily effected by how tough the fin is in terms of impact resistance.

If you're worried about it getting damaged from impacts make a padded cover for it. 

Hi buddy,

I have a custom glass vert on my Blaster 3.5 and after having nothing but carbon tails it did initially feel fragile, but i'm hard on my models and it's holding up just fine. I'd be more than happy to have another made for my Snipe to replace the carbon one if i ever needed to.

I've smashed my glass tail into the ceiling more than once, only has a tiny nick in it, so pretty tough! haha

I've done it to the carbons too. I really should be more gentle on my gear.

6 hours ago, i_am_mark_evans said:

I've smashed my glass tail into the ceiling more than once, only has a tiny nick in it, so pretty tough! haha

I've done it to the carbons too. I really should be more gentle on my gear.

Why don't you raise the ceiling?

On the first dlg I owned I had nose dart crash and on the rebuild modified to a detachable fin. I basically built the fin in to a short lenth of carbon tube that socketed over the tail end of the fuz tube. I plugged the fuz tube with a small piece of hardwood dowel to give a retainig screw something to bite in to. Although ot worked okay, I doubt I'll ever do it again, nowadays I'm more concerned about weight and strength. I haven't had to do it yet but I can't see it as that much work to cut off an old fin to replace.

Thanks Martin that is probably wise. Thinking further I realise that having the fin glued in place will strengthen the very thin-walled boom substantially and replacing a fixed fin should not be so difficult. I suppose I will use epoxy and micro balloons after all.

On a slotted boom, for belt and braces I'd be tempted to do as Satinet said and add a small piece of light glass cloth either side of joint and wet on with either laminate epoxy or runny cyno. If you cut cloth in to a couple of small squares and turn 45 degrees so it looks diamond shape it's quite neat.

Yes, thanks both, I don't have any glass cloth so that will have to be added later. Could put some carbon tow over if I spread it flat perhaps.