12th F3K 14 Day Duration Challenge

Tony Beckett

Phil said:- "Not sure if it will count as part of the 12th challenge but wanted to share anyway!

Finally got my second hand Stream flying today after a couple of teething problems & got it trimmed out earlier this afternoon.

Broken cloud & smidgings of lift about, only launching at half power as it takes a bit of getting used too after the 1m strike & elf! (Arm knows about it too) finally got into some lift and came down at 3:21

Happy with that as conditions weren't great but enjoyed every second flying a 1.5m. Now got to get the #Boom built this winter for the spring!

Phil Carter Stream 28/10/16 3:21"

Quiet weather over the weekend but doesn't look as if there will be much thermal activity but worth a try to up the challenge.

Don't forget the International Postal, which starts in November. Times flown for this could also count for the Challenge.
Tony

aatimes.jpg

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the F3K (up to 1.5m) or Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your F3K or Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Please post your times as follows:-. Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, model name, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. Previous challenges for 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 can be seen at www.f3k.uk

Phil,  Welcome to the challenge and well done for posting the first time.  I'm sure there is better to come! 

I went out this lunchtime with the Snipe for the first time in weeks - a combination of work, weekends away and weather.  It looked really promising, sunny with a very light Easterly and a few kites flying about at low level as markers.  What a surprise!  There were bubbles of lift but they were difficult to centre on, difficult to follow and disappeared at around 150ft - which was also the height the Kites were at, interesting....

On my 3rd launch I managed to scratch about for a 3.39 - much harder work than you would expect.  I pushed on and struggled to get much above 3 mins, with lots of sub 2 mins.  I tried another spot the other side of some trees and picked up a proper small thermal which got me to around 400ft.  I needed to fly very aggressively to stay in it which seemed odd in light wind, but then lost it at distance.  Time 6.13.  I worked the same spot and found the lift to be more consistent and higher.  Two thermals in one flight resulted in my best of 6.52.

All in all very surprising as it looked one of those 30 min+ days....

Simon Jones, F3K, 6 mins 52 secs, 31.10.16

• Like 1

Thanks Simon,

Looking forward to trying to better my times on full size F3K!

I too went out today but took the Strike 2, should have taken Stream! As you say conditions looked very promising but strong inversion layer here wasn't helping. I could only really find low level bubbles, good fun scratching about though.

Well done with your time today Simon, as you say, it was an Odd day :/

Always learning! 

Interesting reading how others flying has been. I managed a 7min flight yesterday in full overcast but otherwise good, smooth air and today a couple of 20minuters up to 132m with my best being 24:50. Lovely blue and smooth it was.

I'm sure is has been discussed before, but I've found this low ceiling effect several times, scratching about for ages sometimes with out ever being able to get away, some times really low. I'm pretty sure it's this time of year it seems to happen most too...

Bruce, well done on a great time, especially at the end of October.  It will be a tough one to beat! 

I went out again today for a short session with a best time of 5.31.  I would like to have tried the 'Winter Postal' but I didn't have enough time and the conditions / flight times were extremely variable.  I hope a few people take part this year so we have some 'local' (UK) competition.

Simon

Thank you Simon, I was lucky with the weather and having time to play with it. I also went out today with the target to beat but it was too windy here and my best was 5:14. There was too much drift and most of the thermals were like bullets, couldn't stay in them for long. Some thermals were huge though, just drifting fast. I will look into the 'Winter Postal'.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 08:28, Tony Beckett said:

Don't forget the International Postal, which starts in November. Times flown for this could also count for the Challenge.
Tony

At last, a decent day and I can see three Red Kites circling from my office window!  I plan out getting out this lunchtime to have a go at the Winter Postal.  Anybody else doing the same??

Simon

Well, not a bad session although conditions were not quite as expected....  On my first attempt at the winter postal I got stuck on 1.30 and after 2 attempts abandoned it and started again.

Second attempt was OK until 1.45 and this took me an extra go.  Ok at 2.00 but 2.15 was tricky too but after that a few Kites moved in and this helped mark lift at distances I would not have tried on spec.  My last flight of the postal was a 2.45 and as I was at height and in with the Kites I carried on to have a go at Bruce's time.  I managed an 11.42 - not bad but not good enough.

Simon.

Comfortable flying but a lack of lift at Melton, (thats my story). I did manage 135 in the Winter postal but it was in random order so I can't list that. Longest flight was 2:22, so nothing special but not too cold nor too windy......

Tony

I was hoping people would still write about their flights here. Perhaps we should start a thread on this forum similar to the RCgroups: 'What did you do with your DLG today?' ?

My little session today was still working for launch height, quick turn arounds and just seeing what I can do. Wind wasn't too bad but the gentle lift only allowed me four mins a couple of times then lost control of both ailerons - but got it down safely. Must look into that!

Next time out I will work on the ladder for the postal.

Congratulations to Bruce who wins the 12th Challenge for 2016

aatimes.jpg

The weather is nothing special for the next few days, too windy probably but someone might get out for the 13th Challenge or to have a go at the International Postal.

Tony

Well done Bruce - that was a great flight for this time of the year.  It's not looking very good for the next few days....Hmmmm

Simon.

Thank you Tony, Simon, I think I was lucky to get out at the right time.

Yes, not good weather for us now. Last time out I was trying the ladder task but too windy and a football match was on the same field, could not concentrate properly, but - after more than a thousand launches on the Vortex I finally cracked 50m launch height. I was stuck for a couple of months with never more than 43m (Frsky vario) then 47 then 49 a couple of times then the lady in the tranny said 52m. Nice milestone for me, even if it was cheating, being into some wind.

Cold damp and overcast but at least it wasn't raining the wind was OK too.  To kick off the next challenge I managed a 4.45 followed by a 5.06.  I had to go a long way back scratching about at 100ft or so and it was a case of when to bottle out.  Mike Stern would have been in his element (and next County) and bagged at least 10 mins!

A nice target time for everybody....

Simon Jones, F3K, 5 mins 6 secs, 23.11.16

• Like 1

Nice one Simon. I found little worth circling in this morning and while having a go at the ladder and turn-around practice, in 68 launches I couldn't even make 2 1/2 mins!