jwest532

If Carlsberg did a WL - Welsh Winter League 2016-17

93 posts in this topic

Hi guys

Just wanted to get some dates out there for the Welsh winter league.  As we seem to be struggling of later with numbers/organisation I'm happy to CD and do the weather calls if everyone else is happy to muck in on the day and help out.

My suggestion for dates, following the same pattern of 3rd Sunday in the month as previous years, is:

20th November

18th December 

27th Dec (Tuesday) Wooly Back?????

15th Jan 

19th Feb

19th Mar

Regards

Joel

PS I do need to run these dates past AJ to make sure he is happy that we can have the hill.

Les, satinet, isoaritfirst and 4 others like this

Well done Joel for taking on this rewarding role.  I'm certain you will get lots of 'helping hands' on race days :thumbsup:

I'm lookin forward to a 'cracking' Welsh winter lg.          

Stu.

jwest532 likes this

Fantastic result - well done Joel, thanks for offering to organise our much loved SWSA winter series!

Hopefully, we'll get some crisp, dry conditions and sharp easterlies = opportunities for PBs.

Cheers,

Greg

jwest532 and rumbey like this

Hi guys

As per my previous note. I can confirm that AJ has OK'd the dates so hope to see you all for the first comp on the 20th 

Cheers

Joel

abbof3f, isoaritfirst and Gromit like this

Joel

When are you opening the entry list for round one WWL 20th November ?

I can't make it this weekend but plan on doing the others.

Hi All

Just a reminder that this Sunday will be the 1st round of the Welsh Winter League. I will make a call Friday evening as to whether the competition is on, and if so more details of meeting times.

If I can have entries by Saturday lunchtime (JWest532@aol.com), I would be grateful as it helps with organising the flying order and getting things running on the day. However, if you wake up Sunday morning and decide at the last minute you want to fly you will more than welcome, but you might find yourself early in the flying order!

If you are thinking about having a go at F3F, the winter league is a great place to start.  It's all pretty informal and there should be lots of people there to offer support, so don't worry if you haven't got the latest state of the art carbon fibre dream machine to have a go, just come along and enjoy it.  That's what it's all about after all!

Regards

Joel

abbof3f and isoaritfirst like this

Hi guys

As always, this call is a really difficult one.  Clearly there is a large wet and windy weather front blowing in on Saturday evening, which depending on which weather forecast you believe, will or will not have cleared Wales by Sunday morning.  Not wanting to make the wrong call, I'm going to delay making a decision until lunch time on Saturday when hopefully the various forecasts will have started to align.

As an aside, anybody that has not yet let me know they are coming, if you could do so by midday tomorrow it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Joel 

Hi guys

After agonising over the weather forecast and consulting AJ for some local knowledge I've decided to call tomorrow "OFF".  The deciding factor is that the met office mountain forecast is still showing a very low cloud base (400m) until well into the afternoon and as it is getting dark very early at the moment, the chances of getting a comp in is therefore very small. 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/mountain-forecasts/brecon-beacons#?tab=mountainWeather

Please note that the next Wales event will be the 18th of Dec so let's hope for more favourable conditions then.

Regards

Joel 

Shame but right decision Joel.

Hopefully see you for the Woolly backs.

jwest532 likes this

Dissapointing, but the correct call Joel.

Stu.

jwest532 likes this

Just booked a flight for then January Winter League (with the possibiltiy to change the dates if the weather doesn't play ball) :frantics:

oipigface, simon_t, jwest532 and 2 others like this

Hi guys

Just a polite reminder that next Sunday (18th) is the second Wales winter league and quite possibly your last chance to fly before xmas :)

Could I ask that anyone intending to come, drop me an email before Friday's weather call so that I've got an idea on numbers (jwest532@aol.com).

Now all we need to do is keep our fingers crossed for the weather.

Cheers

Joel

If you have a little list.     

You can add me on two. 

jwest532 likes this

Hi guys

Currently list as follows:

Myself, Simon, Les, Andy, Mike, Keith, Dave, & Graeme.

As seems to be the norm at the moment, current weather forecast leaves little to be desired and unfortunately I am out tomorrow evening, so if it's ok with you I'll make the call first thing on Saturday morning.

Joel

If the weather does change it's mind and the comp is on I think Mr Southall will come as well. 

jwest532, abbof3f and simon_t like this

55 minutes ago, isoaritfirst said:

If the weather does change it's mind and the comp is on I think Mr Southall will come as well. 

I know we are short on numbers, but really?? :)

Andy_B and f3fman like this