Guitarslingers as well as glider guiders

Mikeb52

Just a thought this.There seem to be a lot of flyers on here that play guitar.... Including me, badly I may add! Quite a few ads with pictures seem to have a guitar in view. Not sure if I bid on the mouldie or the strat in the corner. Confused, sorry, it's me age. 😀

Mike. 

Thought I could play an electric guitar in my teens. Never had any lessons. Found out how to make a noise that sounded like the 4 bar riff of Smoke on the Water. Had no aspirations to learn or play anything else. My Mum, Dad and neighbours must have hated me.

Managed to sell the guitar and amp in my early twenties. I really appreciate well played guitar now though!

Personally, I prefer classical acoustic guitar, John Williams etc.  Started learning whilst I lived in Gloucester, then moved here and did not find another teacher.  Guitar stands in a corner, untouched  :(

Been playing since I was 16. Scratch built my own electric at 17 - still got that one. Just play for my own amusement never played in a band. Guitars breed just like gliders do - one is certainly not enough. 

@Mike -  if its an original Parker Fly its a guitar and a mouldie 😄

Phil.

• Like 1

I started at the grand old age of 47. It was a struggle but I was determined to learn and I'm pretty content now with the level I've achieved.

I learned on an acoustic and have dabbled a bit with my telecaster but I always reach out for the acoustic and play that. I love the natural sound over the amplified type.

I love rock music and am in awe of the great guitarists. Always fancied been a rock god, but the inability to sing or play any form of musical instrument has been a bit of a hindrance and punk didn't appeal. Couldn't be doing with all that spitting. As I got older and the number of rock gigs I attended increased my hearing got progressively worse (a lifetime of motorcycling didn't help either) and 10 years ago I was declared deaf :) 

My career aspiration of becoming a rock god probably ended then but its still nice to dream about.

Being serious though I am an engineer by profession and I have an analytical mind that I understand actually makes learning to play musical instruments very difficulty. I struggled to learn Morse Code for the same reason but eventually managed to peak my reading rate at about 20wpm.. Apparently, good musicians can learn Morse very easily 

2 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Never give up mate.......if all else fails there's always the "Air Guitar World Championships" to aim for:D:yes:

Hey Pete

I didn't realize you were into your air guitars, maybe if I ever buy another model from you again you can throw in a free air guitar to sweeten the deal. :D

In all seriousness there is an art to building both models and guitars. A friend of mine is married to the owner of Turnstone Guitars and looking at them its awe inspiring at how beautifully crafted they are. She uses no power tools, they are all handcrafted by her. I grew up in a family of guitar players and learnt to play the bass. Could never get my head around a six string though.

Brett

• Like 1

The only thing I can hear properly is a bass line. Never really appreciated bass playing until I lost my hearing from 500Hz upwards (at 4000Hz its 80dB down :( )

Really appreciate a good bass line now :)

• Like 2

Going to see a brilliant local band tonight, have seen them more than thirty times previously, but love their ability to take the p*** out of each other while playing their astonishingly good versions of tracks originally performed by Led Zeppelin, The Clash, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Pulp, Nina, David Bowie, Doctor Feelgood, Norman Greenbaum, Alvin Stardust, Thin Lizzy, EMF, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Lynyrd Skynrd, etc. 

• Like 1

Reading an interesting book (on the train) called Guitar Zero - by a cognitive scientist who decided to learn guitar at 40 despite being nonmusical. It wont help you learn how to play but you will understand why its hard! 

Phil.

I can't play  at all but I can appreciate a mate of mines eight string fretless Over water bass. It is visually stunning and he knows how to play it. Quite a combination.

Here's my 'corner of goodness' 

I had copy of a Gibson Les Paul as a teenager and promised myself the real thing one day.... sadly had to wait to my mid- 40's. Tend to go through phases with playing - hardly touch them in the summer months but quite like annoying the family and neighbours during the winter evenings with thrashing out the same old riffs that are committed to memory.

If only the internet and Utube had been around in the 80s to speed up my learning - so much easier to learn new stuff nowadays.

Les Paul.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jef said:

Going to see a brilliant local band tonight, have seen them more than thirty times previously, but love their ability to take the p*** out of each other while playing their astonishingly good versions of tracks originally performed by Led Zeppelin, The Clash, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Pulp, Nina, David Bowie, Doctor Feelgood, Norman Greenbaum, Alvin Stardust, Thin Lizzy, EMF, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Lynyrd Skynrd, etc. 

They played The Rolling Stones latest track "Gloom and Doom" tonight, (as well as tracks by all of the above plus Muse and Black Crowes). How do they learn and perform so accurately, a song that has been so recently released, when they all have day jobs???

Stunned.

Something a bit special...

Here's my 1973 hand-built special - took a break from building planes to create this at 17 years old. Completely scratch-built, on a shoestring paper-round budget. Minimalist body (*) cos that was the size of the interesting chunk of ex-wardrobe I was given by a friends family - other materials found & scrounged - beechwood fretboard crafted from a broken table-leg, aluminium strip neck reinforcement & duralumin plate for bridge from plane-building stock. Originally with hand-wound pickups & hand-built internal active electronics - to a "Practical Electronics" article, some years later it got used Gibson mini-humbuckers cheap from a shop on Denmark St - nobody wanted them in the 1970s, now quite sought-after.

Of course, its not as famous as Queen guitarist Brian May's self-built Red-Special, but it still plays great & those pickups still sing.

Phil.

(* great idea but the CofG was wrong - just like planes - needed a big lump of steel to get it to balance)

73_1.jpg73_2.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 years later...
Phil.Taylor

Its a guitar - its a mouldie ! 😊

My "new" toy - a Parker Nitefly - with carbon fibre fretboard & carbon fibre neck exoskeleton - about 20 years old, zero wear on the carbon fretboard & stainless steel frets - lovely thing to play, sounds great too. Came from  https://guitar-auctions.co.uk/  - who just happen to be a mile away from my weekday work/stay location - had to go along there (couple of times now) - some really interesting guitars - old, newish, vintage, and just strange !

Phil.

Parker_1.thumb.jpg.4e1f5ec970b74b1ba63aa69ef51ba3f9.jpgParker_2.thumb.jpg.9f9894a797af5274b9d1f0188d023180.jpg

I don't play very often any more but like restoring old guitars, strats in particular. From sorting electrics, to refinishing, there is a lot in common with planes (and repairing them!) so the hobbies compliment each other quite well.  I didn't realise how many of us are into guitars too, great thread! Will dig out a pic of my favourite guitar.

SilentPilot

Maybe you guys should stick a mouldie in the corner of any future guitar pics. You never know, there could be undiscovered glider guiders in bands :D 

• Haha 1

Maria Freeman

Bought myself a Taylor GS Mini just before Christmas. Teaching myself to play.......or trying to !

Can play a few chords , but have a long way to go....... love it though.