Wing Servos - making them easy to get out

Jef Ott

16 minutes ago, Phil.Taylor said:

Masking-taped-epoxied servos are a pet hate of mine when buying used planes. Masking tape is designed to come unstuck - and I dont like refixing the resulting wobbly servos - had to do it several times. So - please use electrical tape or heat shrink if Im going to be buying one of your planes 😄

Phil.

And don't use insulation tape either, if I am likely to be buying it! LOL

• Like 1

I would agree on the reservations od using masking tape - drying out.  I use vinyl tape (from a foamy build) carefully cut around the servo.  Then I clean off the shiny release film side with a cloth dipped in celly thinners, then glue in with epoxy.  I may add some micro balloons.

When it comes to need to remove the servo, I remove all exposed tape on top and sides of servo, then apply pressure under the output shaft with the right angle flat blade screw driver until the tape adhesive lets go.  Clean out all remaining tape and epoxy with a metal dremmel tool.

thermaldoctor

You can try heatshrinking a servo in a plasticky rather than rubbery heatshrink. Then roughen up the side to be bonded with wet and dry paper. Then use epoxy to stick into place. Worked well and never had a failure when I used to do it. replacement easy by slicing open the heatshrink.

beware of 5 min epoxy in hot sunny climates however as it can go soft if wing bags not used

On 18/11/2016 at 18:50, Jef said:

That last pic's masking tape barrier was just to show the idea. When I fit the frame into the wing, the glue face will have been profiled (to fit the Xantia top surface), rather than flat. I will post pics when doing the install.

I also make a point of dry fitting it and getting the pushrod alignment perfect, then mark the wing and frame so that the freshly epoxied frame can be placed onto the marks for that little extra confidence.  Again see the OP pic.  

Had enough for one day, so not going to start getting epoxy everywhere, but the first servo is ready to go into the new wing section now.

In the last pic of the three, you can see the chamfer on the adhesion face of the mount...

038 make a profile card at the point of the wing that the servo will be fitted.jpg

039 profiling the adhesion surface.jpg

040 profiled chamfered and ready to get stuck in.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Jef, so you know the foam arrived today. Looks interesting, I'm sure there are loads of things it can be used for. 

Thanks mate. 

Brett

• Like 1

On 17/11/2016 at 11:40, EssexBOF said:

On wing servos with 3 lugs(Turnugy777's) I cut out a U shape from Lit Ply 1/4 thick.

For those servo's of conventional mounting, I remove the output arm and slide heat shrink over from the lug side, half shrink then cut hole around output shaft, then shrink down tightly with heat gun. Care is needed not to get to hot so as to blow a hole in the heat shrink. Rough up side to be glued down on the wing skin and glue in with Araldite Rapid as this is more flexible than other epoxy glues. It is worthwhile adding a layer of carbon cloth, onto the skin as they are quite thin and light

Use this method for servos in the fin type mounting as well

Couple of pictures off a heat shrink wrapped servo installed in a fin for rudder operation

DSCN0182.JPG

DSCN0183.JPG

• Like 2