17th Mosquito 14 Day Challenge

Tony Beckett

Good to see a new name in the "Challenge". Will no. 17 be the last one of the year?

Reggie said:-
"Foggy start and no wind meant ideal conditions for a maiden with the new light Elf.

After a couple of trimming launches, a full launch saw me at a useable 20 or so metres each time. The air was very sinky all round with only very occasional sun poking through. Managed to hook into a tiny little bit of lift that saw an extended glide rather than any height gain but returned a satisfying 1:48 for the conditions

More to come once the cg has been adjusted slightly...

Reggie Perrin  23/11/16  Elf (95g)  1:48"

aatimes.jpg

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your  Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Please post your times as follows:-. Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, model name, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. Previous challenges for 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 can be seen at www.f3k.uk

Beautiful morning with little wind & the Strike 2 packed in the van :) 

First launch wasn't till 12 noon & by 12:15 wind had picked, bit lumpy although strong lift about but hard to stay in it for long due to drift. Getting a few 1:30's & finally broke 2mins with a bit of scratching with a 2:10.

Tomorrow looks to be the better day ;)

Phil Carter  Strike 2  28/11/16  2:10

It's days like this that makes us wonder why we fly & put up with the English weather! 

Probably one of the most pleasant hour & halfs flying in a long time! Perfect conditions for the time of year! 

Lots of low steady lift & ultra clean air. First few flights & I knew I would bet yesterday's time. A couple of 3:30's & then lift that seemed to just hang around at about 50-60m forever. 

Came down with a massive smile & 4:59 on the clock :)

Phil Carter  Strike 2  29/11/16  4:59

Nice one Phil - I thought my 3:56 might have been enough....  I had the Elf out doing the postal ladder task - stretched the 60 second rung flight in my second postal attempt to 3:56 but then couldn't get past the 1:45 rung in the postal ladder task.  My first postal attempt finished at 2:00 so that will go in as today's score.

• Like 1

The forecast was good enough for me to ignore my knee problems today and yesterday so I got the Vela out for a wee sesh. I'm out of practice!

Today was smooth as butter but way too stable here with very light lift but not enough for me to climb away and a best flight of 1:05.

Yesterday was better, although windier, with small punchy lift and a best of 1:42. No use in the challenge but a nice (frustrating) reminder of how much I enjoy DLG :o

Jon

• Like 1

Out with the Elf again today to try to beat Phil's 4:59 and improve my postal score.  No progress on either front - I think my best time was about 1:48.

I had an incident which is slightly embarrassing but too good to keep to myself.  The model slipped from my fingers on one launch right at the start of the 'power stroke', out of sight behind my back of course.  I stopped the rotation and turned to look on the ground behind me and pick it up.  No model.  I looked all around on the ground and even up in the air in all directions - no model.  I started to think it must have just vanished into thin air - it is called an Elf - maybe it went back to being mythical again....

Rejecting supernatural causes and the possibility that I was in a dream, I started to work methodically.  Wag the controls, look and listen - nothing.  I dropped a tissue on the ground at the launch point and started a square search.  I eventually found the model 25 metres 'downwind' nestled safely in the long grass - it must have glided beautifully in a straight line to land softly end-on as seen from the launch point - it wasn't visible until I was 10 metres from it.  It had been an anxious and crazy few minutes.

• Like 1

Reggie Perrin

Well....

A beautiful day, not a breath of wind and bright sun flooding a frosty start. What could be better than flying the Elf and recording an unbeatable time...

Well apparently, finishing fitting the kitchen could be better according to my wife..... Never the less, I did spend a good 10 minutes watching some gulls thermalling over the back garden, climbing ever upwards and gently down wind... Can I post that..? No..? Thought not....  :(

So..... Reggie Perrin. 1st December. Elf.  00:00   :no:

Hope someone managed to enjoy the sunshine...

Sorry the kitchen duties didnt allow you time off Reg!

Thought is share a small video of my launch with the Strike. 

Sounds like a jet on the fly pass :)

• 2 weeks later...

Tony's post reminded me it was that time again :) 

Hadn't checked the weather earlier for today as it's been so naff lately. 12:30 saw lovely conditions & sunshine, unfortunately I had left the Strike at home.

Got home by 2:30 & had to grab some time with the Strike to see what's about.

Light winds & whiffs of lift about.

Managed a few 1min and then got two 1:31's in a row. Stopped around 3:15pm 

Hopefully not my last flight of the year but if so, it was very pleasant! 

Phil Carter  Strike 2  14/12/16  1:31