Gromit

The English Open F3f 2017.

isoaritfirst

Saturday was the roughest conditions I have ever flown a comp in. Only 10ms but coming over the hump on the right side of the bowl. 

Many flights were simply a case of trying to complete the course. Models were flying at some very strange attitudes at times. 

In the end an enjoyable day but my times ranged from around 50 to 85  

easy to lose lots of points  

Andy_B
10 hours ago, abbof3f said:

Jeez, what happened to Graham??????

did he swap models with Tony :poke:

• Like 1

oipigface

Sunshine, showers, a bit of wind and a bit of lift (if you were lucky) blessed this comp, which was well run by JP (who worked as his own buzzer supremo), and equally well organised by Stuart. Thanks to them both, the team at the centre (Graeme, Pete, and Chris), and all the punters who made this a memorable event.

Congratulations, too, to JP, Tony and Mark, and the top Tea Swilling team, all of whom battled difficult conditions to come out on top.

Great weekend.

• Like 1

Alibabaj

Bad day at the office Mark,

First 4 rounds were in the most turbulent treacle I have ever flown! Thought, things can only get better... They didn't, however I had a great time albeit very frustrating.

• Sad 1

fpljohn

I can only  echo what JT has said above

Yes great weekend, even if I did damage my Drops. A big thanks to the team that helped Stu and me run this comp, all got sorted after our button problems.

To the Tea Swillers team, great work cheers boys. And having a manager to keep us in line was a great idea Erik.

Only down side was I only got to shout at one person, sorry Tony.

Also thanks to all that turned up to make this a great weekend.

JP

• Like 2

rumbey

Thinks hes lost his mojo? but I expect him to be on it at the Welsh!

rumbey

Nice to get out for a 2 day comp. Very well ran by Stu, JP,  and the CDs (Graeme, Peter and Chris)  Also very nice touch by Chris to do everyone a brew before racing started!

Congratulations to JP, Tone and Mark who managed the conditions remarkably well

It was a pleasure to be part of Team Bonkers with Mike and Paul and coming in 2nd place!

I never really got to grips with the conditions, although I had a few quick ones!  

• Like 2

mtreble

Great weekend at White Sheet. Big thanks to Stuart for making it happen successfully with a good turnout for the 3rd time!

Looking forward to next year's already!

• Like 2

abbof3f
1 hour ago, Alibabaj said:

Bad day at the office Mark,

First 4 rounds were in the most turbulent treacle I have ever flown! Thought, things can only get better... They didn't, however I had a great time albeit very frustrating.

Sh1t happens sometimes buddy ....i am very f3f rusty at mo so need a session or 2 prior to the welsh o

• Like 1

Gromit

Congratulations JP, from myself and on behalf of both the whitesheet rfc and South Coast Sailplanes, on winning the English Open F3F 2017.

Congratulations to Tony from myself, and on behalf of both the whitesheet rfc and South Coast Sailplanes on being runner up.

Congratulations to Mark, again from myself and on behalf of both the whitesheet rfc and South Coast Sailplanes on taking the 3 rd place position.

Congratulations team 'tea swillers', JP, Mark Passingham & Erik Heijne on being the team winners. 

Fastest time of the event trophie went to JP with a time of 43.14 on day 1.

English Open Junior (under 16) trophie winner was my son Sam. Sam has only flown once since the Lundy trip in August of last year. This was only Samuel's 2nd ever comp, the first being during the same Lundy trip. For Sam to have finished in 16th place is I am sure you will agree an excellent achievement. I am one very proud dad.

Well done to everyone else on your own positions & achievements.

I'll be returning home later this afternoon and will post more words about the event this evening. 

Stu, WRFC.

• Like 1

Allen Elliott

I was gutted I could not to make it back for Sunday but the 300mile round trip on the bike and a days racing was just too much

I got home at 9pm on Saturday night absolutly shattered, there was no way I was going to be able to do it Sunday too.

Sounds like a simular good air bad air day but a little smoother ?

• Sad 1

Mark P

My first F3F competition since 2010.

Good to see some familiar faces and meet a few new faces.

Flying is still a bit rusty but very happy to come away with a trophy in the team competition.

Had a really good weekend and I'm looking forward to the next one

A big thank you to everyone concerned

Mark Passingham

• Like 3

Ribs

Just a brilliant weekend of flying with you all.

Thanks to everyone who came along and made it happen again at Whitesheet - it was a real delight to see EO back in business.

I think in many ways the challenging lift conditions were a good leveller. I certainly found my level... somewhere near the fields ;-)

Those of you who took film, I would be very grateful if you could pm me and we will figure out a way of transferring files. I plan to get into an edit over the bank holiday weekend, so hopefully everyone won't have to wait too long for some pictures and video.

cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

rc-soar

A lot fun despite the slightly rough conditions on Saturday. Nice to see Erik Heijne making the journey over from Holland with his dad, also Mark P making a return.  A big thanks to Stu, also to our generous sponsors, and to all helpers and CDs.

Some piccies here:

https://rc-soar.smugmug.com/F3F/2017/English-Open-F3F/

Roll on 2018!

• Like 3

Gromit

I am at present at the Solstice services on the A303, it will be another  hr before we get home. Gill, and I celebrate our wedding anniversary today so we stayed around the beautiful Whitesheet area till mid afternoon. An accident on 303 just outside  of Mere has caused huge delays, it has taken us two hrs to get this far. 

Stu.

Gromit

Home at last, a 5 hr journey instead of the usual 1 hr 15mins.  Yet to unload the cars, knackered but happy.

Please be patient, I'll compile & post my comp report tomoz (Tuesday 22nd)

I wish however to take this opportunity to give a huge thank you from myself, and on behalf of the Whitesheet RFC, and all the pilots, to Peter Payne owner of South Coast Sailplanes, for his truly excellent & very much valued sponsorship of the English Open F3f competition. Thank you Peter :thumbsup:

I also wish to give my own personal thanks, and those of the Whitesheet RFC & all the pilots, to Steve Webb of Steve Webb models & Servo shop, & to Graham Buckingham of Bucks Composites for their excellent & very much valued support to the event, & their generous donations to the Charity raffle :thumbsup:

I have this morning sent all the pilots an email with a request, please check your emails for this guys & reply asap today. This will help me compile my report, thank you.

Stu, Whitesheet RFC.

Gromit
14 hours ago, rc-soar said:

A lot fun despite the slightly rough conditions on Saturday. Nice to see Erik Heijne making the journey over from Holland with his dad, also Mark P making a return.  A big thanks to Stu, also to our generous sponsors, and to all helpers and CDs.

Some piccies here:

https://rc-soar.smugmug.com/F3F/2017/English-Open-F3F/

Roll on 2018!

Wow ! an excellent set of photo's Mike, thank you so very much for taking & sharing these :thumbsup:.

Stu.

Gromit

The English Open F3f 2017 comp report.

Day 1. On my Son Sam's & my arrival at the meeting point on the byeway that runs across the top of Whitesheet, we found JP, Tony L & Graeme already on the SW slope erecting the course. On looking out across the beautiful Wiltshire countryside towards the horizon, the approaching threatening dark sky was not what the many forecasts that I had been following all been forecasting.  Just a few minutes after Sam & I had taken all our gear out of the car and were about to walk over to the slope, a steady drizzle began falling. With ever darkening skies approaching, the rain became heavier. We quickly threw our gear back in the car  & sat it out for 10 minutes or so. Thankfully the skies quickly brightened, the rain steadily eased and some brightness could be seen approaching on the distant horizon. A steady flow of pilots were by now arriving, unloading their cars, & making there way over to the slope.

With everything set up & ready for racing we were ready for the pilots briefing. Of special mention during this was my introducing JP as being c'd of this yrs event, & my thanking him for contacting me a number of weeks ago offering to c'd the event should I find myself unable to do so due to my continued serious neck problems. Thank you again JP.

With the briefing over we were ready to begin racing, this got underway at around 10.00 am .

Stu.

Gromit

Round 1. wind direction WSW = W.  averaging 5 .5 m/s,

Round 1 gave the majority of pilots the most challenging / difficult conditions to fly in of the competition. When the wind comes from a true W direction at Whitesheet when flying on the SW slope the spur on the right hand side disrupts the air flow and creates turbulent air. One moment your model is on line & balanced, the next it is being thrown about & can be sucked down the face of the slope. Pilots times during the round clearly reflect how difficult these conditions were for many pilots. All pilots handled these difficult conditions very well. Unluckiest pilot of this round was my Son Sam (aged 14). Sam flew his Willow 1 very well in this round & was looking like posting a mid 50's time. When turning at leg 7 an unfortunate problem with the timing gear occurred resulting in Sam being given a re-flight. The air during this was very poor, it was all Sam could do to fly an 86.46, the slowest time of the round. Unlucky Sam.

Our very first overseas pilot of the English Open Erik Heijne from Holland, had the honour of being first up to fly. Erik flew his VV models Sonet both accurately and smoothly, posting a target time to beat of 48.98. This was to soon prove to be a very good time for this the opening round. The following 18 pilots to fly were all unable to challenge Erik'time. Times posted in the now very difficult conditions ranged between the mid fifties - mid eighties. It was at this point in the round that JP stepped up to fly. John quickly had his Drops 'on step' & nailed the bases. John fell just short of Eriks time posting a very well flown 49.61. Next pilot to fly was Tony Livingstone, Tony too nailed the bases & flew both accurately & smoothly. Tony's time was a 50.36.

Rd 1 placings;-  1st Erik Heijne, (Sonet) 48.98.  2nd JP ( Drops) 49.61.  3rd Tony Livingstone (Jedi Lift) 50.36.

-----------------

Round 2.  Wind direction W, averaging 6 m/s.

With the wind now coming from a W direction and slightly stronger at 6 -7m/s  round 2 gave us very challenging conditions. Times posted ranged from mid 40's - mid 70's

Erik opened the round with what was to be another good time from him, this being an 52.14. Two times & reigning winner of the English Open Mike Evans had much better air than he experienced in the opening round, posting a 53.00. JP again flew his Drops very well indeed, nailing the bases & pinging out of each turn. Johns time a 44.57. Tony Livingstone too again flew very well posting a time of 51.86.

Rd 2 placings;-  1st John Philips (Drops) 44.57. 2nd, Tony Livingstone (Jedi Lift) 51.86. 3rd, Erik Heijne, (Sonet) 52.14.

-----------------

Rd 3, The flying conditions in this round were much more even throughout the round. The wind settled into a SW direction, the turbulence reduced.

This was to be an excellent round for Mark Treble. Flying his Toxic Mark nailed the bases & had his model accelerating well out of the turns. Marks time a 44.83.Tony Livingstone again flew very well posting a time of 47.35. Keith Wood featured in the top 3 placings in this round after posting a time of 48.08.

Rd 3 placings;- 1st Mark Treble (Toxic) 44.83.  2nd Tony Livingstone (Jedi Lift) 47.35. 3rd Keith Wood ( FS 3 or 4)  48.08.

------------------

Rd 4. 

6th pilot to fly in this rd Mark Treble, flew another very good round. Marks time an 46.65. Paul Stubley flying his Pitbull flew very well in this round posting a time of 47.27. Paul has been flying very well in competitions this year. Mark Treble & his Toxic were again a good partnership, Mark posted a very good 46.65 to take the lead in this round. Phil Taylor flying his Pitbull flew very well, Phil posted a 51.33.

Rd 4 placings;- 1st Mark Treble (Toxic) 46.65. 2nd Paul Stubley, (Pitbull) 47.27. 3rd Phil Taylor, (Pitbull) 51.33.

------------------

Rd 5. 

12th pilot to fly in this round Ian Falconer flying his Jedi, flew very well in this round. Ian posted an excellent 43.69 to go into the lead. Dave Rumble flew a good round with his Pitbull posting an 47.27. Soon after JP featured again in the top 3 after posting an 47.24.

Rd 5 placings;- 1st Ian Falconer (Jedi) 43.69. 2nd John Philips (Pike Precision) 47.24. 3rd Dave Rumble,(Pitbull) 47.27.

-----------------

Rd 6.

Another very good flight of 45.51 by Mark Treble & his Toxic put him into the lead. Graeme Mahoney flew well in this round posting a time of 49.58. JP again flew very well posting a time of 47.64.

Rd 6 placings;- 1st Mark Treble (Toxic) 45.51. 2nd John Philips (Pike Precision) 47.64. 3rd Graeme Mahoney ( ? ) 49.58.

----------------

Round 7.

This was the last round to be flown on day 1.

JP stormed his way into the lead in this round with a time of 43.14, knocking a full 8.5 seconds off the times posted by the previous 18 pilots to have flown in this round. This was to be the fastest time of the competition. Following pilot Tony Livingstone also posted a faster time than those same 18 pilots, posting a time of 49.20. Next pilot to fly Keith wood flew similarly very well posting a time between that of JP's & Tony's, that being 46.23.

Rd 7 placings;- 1st John Philips (Pike Precision) 43.14. 2nd Keith Wood (FS3or 4)46.23. 3rd Tony Livingstone (Jedi Lift) 49.20.

Please be patient, part 2 asap today

Stu WRFC. 

• Like 1

Pete Burgess

Nigel W, I still have your screwdriver.

Pete

• Like 1