The next Xantia derivative

Jef Ott

Hi guys.

When I electrified a collection of Xantia bits, it was soon apparent that a lot of people liked the idea of the XantEa.

Being an REF model, I would not contemplate using it in really turbulent or even breezy conditions. The model is limited in its present form, despite being a thing of beauty (or gangly awkwardness depending on your viewpoint).

I have another Xantia fuselage. I have a brand new set of centre panels, acquired in the nineties.

The new centre panels will go on the first XantEa, to really finish it off.

The old centre panels will then go on the next fuselage. I don't want the second XantEa to have the same limitations and have a good pair of Mistral 3.2m wing tips, which will just about fit, with a bit of mucking about. 

This will produce a 148" (3.7m) full house T-tail, for the windier days.

The Xantia centre panel aerofoil section has no Philips entry, whereas the wingtips I intend to use, do. However, I can mount the wingtips with a little wash-out to get the incidence similar across the wing. 

So, will this combination produce a wing that will tip-stall as soon as I get within 'one crash height' of the ground?

• Committee Member

Is there much difference in the thickness of the two airfoils ?

I think that could make a bigger problem than the leading edge differences. 

Even so, seems like a reasonable compromise and I bet it will fly great :yes:

Hi Pete

Thanks for the comment. 

The Mistral wing tip has a 1% thinner section, which I would have thought was a bad thing... until I saw how thin the section is on the tip of the Ultima.

See you at lunch!

• 4 weeks later...

House seems to be set up for a pagan festival currently, so workshop is too cluttered to actually do anything at the moment.

Thinking this conversion should be reversible, ie same centre panel will be used for both tip types (REF/FH) so that a change of tips (and a Tx model change) on the field is all that is needed if the weather changes to or from dead calm.

Have 'Full House' tip location dowel positioning where it doesn't interfere with the REF tip dowel location, flush fitting the servo wiring socket at the outboard ends of the centre panel, and will be fitting Green MPX 4 pin plugs at the inboard ends, with sockets in the fuselage, to be in accordance for quick interchangeability. IE the only difference to assembly will be physically changing the tips. Centre panel to fuselage connection will enliven the aileron loom wiring regardless of whether aileron servos are to be plugged in.

• Like 1