Banana wing repair help

Darren_O

17 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Darren

It needs STRIPES mate, BIG stripes.....red or orange on top, dark blue or black underside .....so you can tell people it was deliberate "colour-mapping" for maximum visibility in the air, rather than covering up where you've put the carbon......:yes::whistle:

Go for it!

Pete

BARCS1702

Flew it today with no ballast. Zipped about like an emu on acid:) Completely forgot I'd removed the bottom stripes during repairs. All white 60" with the sun in my face certainly kept me on edge :) 
I think I'm going for thick red middle section and stripe on underside, unsure about the top yet.

Well done !

I usually go for plain underneath and stripes on top, then if I see any stripes at all I know which side it is.  The colours tend to disappear in different lighting but just seeing the contrasting stripes makes me know it is the top surface  8-)

• Like 1

Close call....

I launched and 10 seconds later it dawned I had no control over the model, I'd done a pre flight check all was well. I looked at my TX and I had telemetry. I was flying the Tank Track slope and out to sea she went, as I swore and cursed I was blessed by the gods of the wind and she did a long (you could tell it was long as I ran out of swear words) loop back round the point and nosed in adjacent to the car park at speed, sunk in a foot but was miraculously undamaged! 

Puzzled as this was the second incident with this model so I looked at the battery first, a vapex 2/3 AAA pack bought late last year. With the FrSky telemetry you can see the batt voltage on your TX so I never give the RX batt much thought between charges. The Vapex batts are usually very good and give a high discharge rate for small capacity batteries. 

Well I put the meter on the batt and it gave me 3v and falling. I wondered why I'd got no low batt alarm, I charged it up and plugged it in. As you can see from the vid, telemetry reading is a little optimistic to say the least...which explains the batt going flat with no alarm. +2v reading means the servos stop before the alarm sounds but telemetry link isn't broken. 

EDIT: Thanks to the chap with the two WildThings for spotting it coming back in. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

+2 v...

That's scary, I can't understand how it could be that far out. You could accept something like +-0.2 v. Frsky need to get that sorted quickly. 

Brett 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Brett82 said:

+2 v...

That's scary, I can't understand how it could be that far out. You could accept something like +-0.2 v. Frsky need to get that sorted quickly. 

Brett 

When it came inland I was really worried, gets busy with walkers. Banana is no slouch, luckily when it came down it was back into wind so slowed a bit. Too much reliance on technology on my part.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve J said:

@Darren_O

May I introduce you to these little beauties -

IMG_9248.jpg

£2 each from Banggood, a bit more from Component Shop. Most of my models have one.

Steve

Wouldn't know where to put it on the 'nana or ocelot, no room in them sadly. I was in component shop yesterday, very knowledgeable staff :)

Glad it at least came down with no damage. I've heard they are quick so you are lucky. 

I have one of those voltage beauties Steve pointed out. At first I put it in my Willow but it was too tight. I then mounted it into a 4x aa battery holder with another voltage monitor. I keep that in my bag and check the voltage before each flight as well as having the telemetry voltage displayed on the Tx. Better be safe than sorry. 

Brett 

On 25/01/2017 at 19:15, Darren_O said:

Close call....

I launched and 10 seconds later it dawned I had no control over the model, I'd done a pre flight check all was well. I looked at my TX and I had telemetry. I was flying the Tank Track slope and out to sea she went, as I swore and cursed I was blessed by the gods of the wind and she did a long (you could tell it was long as I ran out of swear words) loop back round the point and nosed in adjacent to the car park at speed, sunk in a foot but was miraculously undamaged! 

Puzzled as this was the second incident with this model so I looked at the battery first, a vapex 2/3 AAA pack bought late last year. With the FrSky telemetry you can see the batt voltage on your TX so I never give the RX batt much thought between charges. The Vapex batts are usually very good and give a high discharge rate for small capacity batteries. 

Well I put the meter on the batt and it gave me 3v and falling. I wondered why I'd got no low batt alarm, I charged it up and plugged it in. As you can see from the vid, telemetry reading is a little optimistic to say the least...which explains the batt going flat with no alarm. +2v reading means the servos stop before the alarm sounds but telemetry link isn't broken. 

EDIT: Thanks to the chap with the two WildThings for spotting it coming back in. Much appreciated.

Hi Darren

Have you calibrated the receiver telemetry correctly for the receiver battery? 

• Like 1