grj

Robin Sleight

grj

It is with great sadness we have to report that following his recent illness, Robin Sleight passed away yesterday evening, December 1st.

No further information is available at this time.

Our thoughts are with Robin’s family.

pete beadle

Hi all

Robin will be sadly missed

A real gentleman, in every sense of the word, my sincere condolences go out to his family at this time of loss

Bye Robin, it was great knowing you, all of BARCS will remember you fondly and with regret at your passing

Pete Beadle

BARCS1702 

swarrans

That's really shocking, I was having an email conversation with him last night at 20:18 - I had no idea he was that ill...

Simon

EssexBOF

He was taken ill in the summer, but it is still a shock that he passed away so suddenly. He was a great supporter of BARCS and BMFA, so his passing leaves a big hole to fill RIP Robin

Brian Austin

BARCS 230

• Like 1

grj

To echo others comments and as a personal view, I worked on the BARCS committee alongside Robin for many years and flew with him on numerous occasions in competition. He was one of the most gracious, hard working and considerate gentleman one could ever wish to meet. He was modest, never seeking praise for his endeavours and will indeed be sorely missed both on the field and in the committee room.

Thank you Robin, it was an honour to know you.

• Like 1

simon_t

In spite of being aware that Robin was ill this came as a great shock to me this morning.  I first met Robin back in 1974 when I started thermal soaring.  A few years later when I started work, I was surprised to find myself working a short distance away from his office - a small world!  Robin was hugely respected in his industry, and helped win multiple Queen's Awards for Industry for export of Head Up Displays for the F-16 and later aircraft - UK technology far in advance of the US.  Even after Robin retired he would occasionally return in a consultancy role, such was his knowledge of technology and customers.  

As Robin's work would often take him to the US, he took part in the US gliding scene, including long distance desert thermal cross countries, over many miles, and with the pilot stood up in the back of a pickup truck!  It also gave Robin access to some of the latest glider designs, such as the Legionaire - I think he arranged for quite a few to be transported back to the UK.  

Whilst being very busy at work he somehow managed to fit in many leading and CDing roles in national and international competitions.  He was an excellent CD.  Not to mention his service to BARCS, BMFA, Kent Interclub and the Invicta Club.

So the aeromodelling world has lost a major player, both as pilot and organiser.  I'm sure we will all miss his easy manner and calm yet organised nature.  A great loss.

Simon

• Like 2

PeteMitchell

It is very sad to loose another keen model flyer. Robin was an honorable man who earned respect from all who knew him.

He is the main reason I am a committee member. I was never voted on in the usual way, I just failed to take the quick one step back like everyone else, when volunteers were asked for.

He will be missed.

Austin

Very sad to hear this news today. Robin will be missed by all that new him.

R.I.P. Robin.

thermaldoctor

Extremely sad news...I was only talking to him at the BMFA awards dinner a couple of weekends ago.

May he rest in peace. A very nice guy to have known

Neil

ThermalBoy

Very sad news indeed. Robin was an extremely nice guy who worked tirelessly to further aeromodelling in his roles with the BMFA and BARCS. He will be missed by us all. RIP Robin.

Colin

timboiow

To echo the thoughts of all above - A Gentleman, all round nice bloke and a great ambassador for our sport, the amount of effort he put into our sport was amazing, don't know how he found the time and energy. He will be greatly missed by the global soaring community. RIP Robin

Tim

alanmorton

Just been on to the BARCS site, and saw the sad news about Robin, what a shock,

I was having dinner with Robin at the awards night a couple of weeks ago and didn't realize how ill he was.

I was not close to him and had little dealings with him but he always had time to talk to me on the occasions we did meet - he was a nice person and will be missed.

my thoughts are with his family and friends

Alan

grj

Further to Ian's post, we have been advised by Fiona, Robin's daughter that the information on funeralzone is inaccurate and should be as detailed herewith.

The Service starts at 10.15 am prompt on Wednesday, 21st December, so arrival by 10.00 am is advised.

Venue is Vintners Green Crematorium, Bearsted Road, Maidstone, Kent, ME14 5LG.

Afterwards at the Hilton Hotel  also on Bearsted Road.

Those wishing to attend to confirm to Robin’s daughter Fiona on sleightgr@gmail.com or 01732 874900.

No flowers by request, but those wishing to donate may wish to honour Robin’s wishes by giving to the BMFA ( National Centre Budget).  Such donations should be sent to the Funeral Directors at Clare Bushell, Viner and Sons Ltd, 54 High Street West Malling Kent ME19 6LU. 01732 842489  clare@vinerandsons.co.uk

• Like 1

oipigface

I recently bought a fuselage for Robin Sleight's XC planes, Albion XC1 and Albion XC2. Inside the fus I found two photographs, which I thought might be appropriate to show on this thread. Here they are. The first shows him posing with an Albion XC2, the second shows him (on the left) launching the same plane before an 18 mile cross country flight in California.

707965794_AlbionXC2.thumb.png.5477794dc545bef8aa7251605aa2a6f8.png445513444_AlbionXC2Launch.png.e7e3680d1634b43c38729f3c316fb7ef.png

• Like 2

swarrans

Great find and highly appropriate considering the "Thurnham Massive" will be attending the Ivanhoe nostalgia event this weekend.  I'm the aTreasurer of the Invicta Model Flyers club that Robin started..

Simon

• Like 2

pete beadle

Hi swarrans

Yes, I received an e-mail from Eric to that effect yesterday, I'll be looking forward to meeting you all Saturday

One small point though, if you put " Ivanhoe" in your SatNav you won't be successful in finding Ivinghoe Beacon (or indeed the village of Ivinghoe) because Ivanhoe is an invention(!) a  fictional knight, I understand - not an actual, findable place.......oddly, over the years, many fliers have admitted to making that mistake so, let's try to avoid this from now on - Ivinghoe Beacon has the postcode of LU6 25P - and the meeting place is the top car park (there are two) - so go for that, OK?

Also, please try to remember Nostalgia Day is NOT a competition, it's a meeting of friends that fly model aircraft that those chaps find nostalgic when they fly them.....more a state of mind than anything.....OK, Zen warning over.......while I personally prefer a founder member of the ISA's description....a meeting of like-minded lunatics who fly for the fun of it........adieu and seeya!:)

Regards

Pete Beadle

Organiser

ISA Nostalgia Day

paul w
1 hour ago, pete beadle said:

Hi swarrans

Yes, I received an e-mail from Eric to that effect yesterday, I'll be looking forward to meeting you all Saturday

One small point though, if you put " Ivanhoe" in your SatNav you won't be successful in finding Ivinghoe Beacon (or indeed the village of Ivinghoe) because Ivanhoe is an invention(!) a  fictional knight, I understand - not an actual, findable place.......oddly, over the years, many fliers have admitted to making that mistake so, let's try to avoid this from now on - Ivinghoe Beacon has the postcode of LU6 25P - and the meeting place is the top car park (there are two) - so go for that, OK?

Also, please try to remember Nostalgia Day is NOT a competition, it's a meeting of friends that fly model aircraft that those chaps find nostalgic when they fly them.....more a state of mind than anything.....OK, Zen warning over.......while I personally prefer a founder member of the ISA's description....a meeting of like-minded lunatics who fly for the fun of it........adieu and seeya!:)

Regards

Pete Beadle

Organiser

ISA Nostalgia Day

We're very much looking forward to attending Pete! I'll make sure Simon doesn't get his hands on the satnav and don't worry, we are not

the competing types! I too have never visited the Beacon.... are all winds covered or would you recommend us not bothering to

make the journey if certain directions prevail?

Kind regards

Paul

pete beadle

Hi PaulW

Weatherwise the only triggers for cancellation would be VERY high winds, or all-day rain as distinct from showers :yes: I'll be making the call Friday, but, if in doubt assume it's ON, OK? I'll be there whatever it's like.....over the last week the forecasts have been changed each and every day!

As regards wind directions Ivinghoe Beacon is almost conical, but, as the Beacon marks the end of the Ridgeway Path which trends generally south-west, a south-westerly isn't brilliant, as you are flying along the ridge rather than square on, all other directions are eminently flyable - the ridges aren't tall but they are effective

Can we agree not to pollute these reminiscences of Robin any further chaps? If anyone wants to reach me urgently or for any other details of Nostalgia Day please e-mail me direct on peter.j.beadle@btinternet.com I'd appreciate that....... 

Thanks and regards

Pete Beadle

BARCS1702