Sign in to follow this  
oipigface

CNC Router

oipigface

Big day for me today! I did my first carve with my X-Carve CNC router. It was supposed to be a circle about 70mm diameter, and 10mm width, in a piece of MDF, but it came out as an ellipse! A couple of tweaks to the machine, and my second effort was much closer to what I expected. 

The machine is a self-build, and seems very robust. Next job is to build a table to mount it and its associated bits and pieces on. Details of the X-Carve can be found at www.robosavvy.com.

• Like 4

jay bee

John sounds very interesting have you any pictures of your the X-Carve CNC router

oipigface

Not much chance of that. No, wooden gliders. Possibly a plug or two. First serious project will be a dust boot!

• Like 1

Reggie Perrin

I heartily recommend a dust cover and extractor and ear defenders..!!

I use one regularly to cut carbon (yes, for drones, big ones..) and it now lives in it's own room so it can work away without deafening and choking everyone..!!!

oipigface

Yesterday, I came across an article on www.CNCCookbook.com warning of the danger of fires when machining wood. They create plenty of fuel in the form of dust and shavings and unless care is taken with feeds and speeds can generate enough heat to ignite it. Bit like a robot boy scout rubbing two sticks together. First recommendation was not to leave the machine unattended. I guess the danger is less when machining carbon or metal. ... the dust boot should help, too.

Richard Swindells

I know someone who experienced a cnc fire due to build up of dust. Even with a good extractor, dust can build up in deeper channels.. even worse if this catches fire and then gets sucked into the dust extractor!

If I mill wood I always monitor the machine. With rohacell I am happier letting it run on its own.. but even with a dust extractor, the particles still get everywhere!! For wood and rohacell and obviously carbon - I would recommend a dust mask too, even if using an extractor.

oipigface
On 06/12/2016 at 20:20, jay bee said:

John sounds very interesting have you any pictures of your the X-Carve CNC router

It looks just like the 500mm x 500mm ones at www.robosavvy.com, Jason. I'll post some pictures of something I'm proud to have made after I've made it!

oipigface

OK. Here's my first 'serious' piece of hitech machining. I was rubbing down epoxy and GF on my Graecalis wings yesterday, and suddenly realized that I hadn't fitted channels for the flap push rods to run in. I would normally make this sort of thing by gluing three pieces of wood together, but I thought "Since I've got a CNC router, why not use it?" Well, it took me almost all day, but here it is:

IMG_1163[1].JPG

This straight from the machine. I cut off the ends and got what I wanted. The channel is 8 mm deep, The walls about 5mm each.

IMG_1165[1].JPG

• Like 1