Sign in to follow this  
Tony Beckett

14th F3K 14 Day Duration Challenge

Tony Beckett

Simon said:- "I managed to get out at lunchtime and start the 14th challenge.  Although it was pleasant outside there was more air going down than up!  Quite a few flights were less than 1.30.  On one flight I managed to get away a bit and ended up behind some trees in the middle of the next field.  The flight would have been around 3 mins if I had got it back.  Best of the session was a 2.56 - a nice easy target!

Simon Jones, F3K, 2 mins 56 secs, 14.12.16"

aatimes.jpg

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the F3K (up to 1.5m) or Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your F3K or Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Please post your times as follows:-. Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, model name, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. Previous challenges for 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 can be seen at www.f3k.uk

Redbird

My first time out this month, nice and sunny and light wind but precious little lift. I managed 3.06 and thought that would be it, but on the 'one more launch' before leaving came across a gentle patch that worked for 4.23.

Bruce Hudson F3K 4m 23s 16-12-2016

Simon Jones

Hi Bruce,  I got out for half an hour today.  As you say, very little lift.  My best were a 3.13 and 3.19 and I was looking for that elusive 'bit more'.  Well done for raising the bar.

Simon

Tony Beckett

aatimes.jpg

I was out  yesterday; mid-day with the mist almost cleared and sun breaking through the medium level cloud. First couple of flights looked hopeful and I thought I might be in with a chance of beating Simons 2:56.

Then the mist returned and I was having trouble seeing the model at the top of the launch. Perhaps half an hour of thick mist, the interesting thing being that the air wasn't neutral during this time, some flights extended slightly, some shorter than average but none near 2:56......

Tony

Maria Freeman

Best I could do this morning was a 2:01 mins, but most were around the 1:30-1:40 mark.

First time out for over a year , so was good to get out. No lift as such just careful flying in a cold 3-4 mph wind with the Bravo.

Looking forward to the coming year......

Good to see you back out Maria, we should fly together sometime. I really need to get my models back in the air and start taking part in the 14 day challenge =)

Simon Jones

I went out for half an hour today.  It was quite lumpy with bits of lift.  Unfortunately, it was going back quicker than going up, plus the wind was taking me behind some tall trees. The best I could manage was 2.58.  That may be it for a few days as the Atlantic storms come in.

Simon

• Like 1

Maria Freeman
On 12/17/2016 at 19:17, i_am_mark_evans said:

Good to see you back out Maria, we should fly together sometime. I really need to get my models back in the air and start taking part in the 14 day challenge =)

How about tuesday 27th?!

Warwick Racecourse...

ahh pretty busy over xmas, and both models are grounded....boooo!

i'll message you though and we can hopefully arrange something

Merry Christmas everyone! hope Santa brings you those socks you never asked for =)

Simon Jones

A very memorable session for good and bad reasons!  The fog was clearing at 11.30 and I have often found these conditions to be ideal for generating lift.  Conditions were clearing with each launch and my times were creeping up - 2.40, 3.20 and then a 4.52.  Next flight I hooked onto a narrow column of decent lift and climbed to 5-600ft.  I found myself on the edge of a bank of mist/fog, upwind of it and the lift was almost like slope lift.  The only problem was disappearing into bits of low down mist.  I lost the model for a couple of seconds a few times and thought I had got into a safer area a bit more upwind.  I was 17 minutes in and the model disappeared in a low cloud and that was it.

I went out with my Son and we searched but the model is still missing.  It was my 'original' Snipe and a good one :(

I'm not sure if I can claim the 17 mins or the 4.52 - Tony please do what you think...

Simon.

Tony Beckett

Because we are close to the end of the year and the circumstances I think we award Simon an outright "win" for his 17 minutes into mist and hope that he gets his model back.

The next claim anyone makes (as low as you like) can count as the first for 2017, as most attempts will be flown in that year.

aatimes.jpg

14 Challenges for 2016
Simon won ten of them, Bruce two, then Michael S and Mike C with one each.

If you are curious about these 14 day challenges, initially started by Jef Ott in 2010, have a look at f3k.uk where there are listings from 2012.

Tony

• Like 1

Simon Jones

Firstly, a big THANKS to Tony for organising the 14 day challenges.  It does give me a reason to go out with the glider when I may have not bothered.

GOOD NEWS!  My glider has been recovered and is generally OK.  I was setting out with the dog this afternoon for another search downwind of the area I covered yesterday, as the glider was 5-600ft up and in lift when it disappeared.  I bumped into a neighbour and had a quick chat, mentioning that I was off out looking for my glider.  Amazingly, she had just spotted it in a tree by the side of the road.  I had driven past it twice this morning but had been looking the other way.  It ended up approx. 100m UPWIND of where I had been flying, and this was despite putting the airbrakes out shortly after losing sight of it!  It had gone vertically through the tree damaging the leading edges but saving it structurally compared to hitting the ground.

It will be nice to get it back into the air and post a 2017 challenge time with it!

The conditions yesterday were pretty special and I was aiming for a 30 minute flight and then back for lunch.  There was a large patch of clear air over the town (warmer) which was then forming a bank of fog over the colder fields to the North of the town.  I was flying this imaginary 'slope' of air and the lift was pretty consistent, a bit like wave lift.

Snipe_recovered.jpg

• Like 3

StraightEdge

Well done Simon for the eventual recovery of your Snipe! :frantics: --------->  :D

The next few days should see the (very long-awaited) completion of my Blaster 3, so looking forward to 2017's challenges!

Wishing all and sundry much luft in the New Year.

Jon