Sign in to follow this  
oipigface

Serendipity

oipigface

I've been making progress with the Graecalis this week. It is now all covered in fibre glass cloth and epoxy, and I've started priming and filling. One problem I came across is that it is hard to keep the live hinges free of epoxy. Some time ago I actually bought a scraper that I thought would do the job (following advice from a thread on this forum), but it wasn't really up to the job. I tried it on the elevator hinge, and found it very difficult to control, and very prone to slipping. I wanted to have a go at freeing up the aileron and flap hinges this morning, so I rummaged through a drawer looking for this scraper, and couldn't find it. (That's why there's no photo of it here.) Instead, I found this:

IMG_1160[1].JPG   IMG_1159[1].JPG

Whatever job this is intended for, I can tell you that it can't be as good at it as it is at freeing up live hinges. It is really easy to control, having very little moment, and it cuts a perfectly uniform V-shaped groove, leaving little curly shavings of epoxy behind it. It shows no tendency to slip whatsoever.

Anybody any idea what it is? I've looked to see if it is a grout scraper or a tile cutter of some sort, but I can't find anything like it on the web. There is no manufacturer's name on it, and I don't recall ever having clapped eyes on it before. I shall be keeping it, though!

I'd like to know what it is just in case I ever need another one.

Scram

I suspect it is a glass or tile cutter.  Maybe with a carbide tip.

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Jon

Yes, I think Jerry may have got it first try ....... several things to consider -  no makers name or advertising on it, obviously a one-shot usage as the tip isn't replaceable, grooving on it makes it a hand tool, obviously isn't a tool that a DIY buff would have readily to hand - like a screwdriver, and who wouldn't want to buy one specially for the one job.......yep, probably a freebie found in a box of tiles - done any tiling recently?

Pity you didn't post this next week as a "Christmas what is it?" with a mince pie as a prize.......:D

Mind you, I'm still waiting for the reply of "Got it!, my firm uses those - gets them from Ding Hao Province in the PRC".......:yes: Where is that "thumbs up" emoticon!:frantics:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

oipigface

Well, thanks Darren and Gerry. Now I know. It's the dog's b ollocks for tidying up live hinges!

Phil.Taylor

Put that plane down & get back to the tiling !

Keith_W

Bought one a while ago for cutting tiles, not very good, but now I may have a use for it.

• Like 1