Sign in to follow this  
N1N2

Hello from Chicago USA

N1N2

Thank you for letting me join this amazing resource of knowledge!

• Like 1

oipigface

Welcome to the forum N1N2. Tell us what kind of flying you do. I'm guessing it's not slope-soaring!

N1N2

LOL, you're correct, no hills in my area to toss one from. Mostly electrics, combination of F5B (Avioniks) and F5J (Electra, Graphite, old Muller 3CAM elektro) and some thermal. 

Thanks for the welcome!!

pete beadle

Hi N1N2

Welcome to the BARCS forum, I hope you'll like it here

In the UK, and more and more often these days, as house building, road building, encroachment of local byelaws, government legislation etc, erodes  the size of the valuable open space we need to fly over on this crowded island, we're getting quite good at tailoring our flying to the environment we find ourselves in so, I look forward to the "free exchange of ideas" on this problem so we can, perhaps, work together to try to solve this common problem

The usual solution to this problem in the UK  these days appears to be going smaller, going electric launch and then going "foamie" gliding - which I hope will help in your quest, it's quieter, cheaper, doesn't pollute the environment we operate in, and doesn't need the BIG open sites we used to fly from (and still do) previously....go to it.......we'd like to hear what you come up with:yes:

Regards

Pete BARCS 1702

oipigface

No shortage of flat fields around Chicago!

I took my first driving test in Chicago, where you are required to demonstrate that you can parallel park both going up hill and down. Because there are no natural hills, they have built a special one to test people on. 

I have flown thermal at one or two of the big public parks, and also headed off to Indiana Dunes (just an hour and a bit along the lake shore) once or twice. Indiana Dunes offers some pretty good sloping in northerly to north easterlies.