F3-RES UK Competition Interest

Neil Stainton

StraightEdge

Hi Martyn and Jon

Thanks for the replies, most informative and helpful - and completely happy to work to 20secs and/or 60/70m (which is it?).  By the way, my current launches with the 320g PuRES do vary:  no activity then say 50-60 meters, if some ambient wind (and I launch almost vertically and work the line on the way up without fouling things) then 60-70m, if into a boomer then have recorded 80-90m.  I'm not fully sold on going electric (love the simplicity and low cost/complexity of bungee) but thinking about it...

As I said earlier, the primary advantage of electric is that it will free me up to try different local sites etc.  But if playing against the overwhelming majority for the postal, which is bungee-launch, there remains some asymmetry if flying electric-launch: faster turnarounds to take advantage of thermal cycles, riskier attitude to flying further away, etc.  Will ponder...! 🙂

Finally, yes, keen to participate in any competition events that could be organised this year!

Jon

It's on each challenge OP: :) 

1. a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time. The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

OR

2. an Electric motor launched glider up to 2 metre wingspan fitted with an Altitude Limiter set to 60m and a maximum motor run time of 20 seconds

Not me Guv! 😂

Regarding launch height on the bungee, I was getting over 80m recorded on the altimeter in a breeze with the Skiddoo but then it did weigh 200g. Used to come off the top of the line with an almighty ping. Can't remember what the Slite was getting but probably a bit less unless into lift. Heavier models in light winds would struggle to get 80m.

I think the E rules are probably just about right although I would still like to see a way of including electric launch without altitude limiters. A few months of the postal should show if anything needs changing.

On 20/04/2021 at 10:49, martynk said:

It would be nice if you (and others) would enter formal competitions when they are run this year. The NW Area (myself and John Minchell) are looking at organising a  4 line F3-RES and F5-RES contest, I think ISA are also doing something and possibly MikeF is putting something on at Buckminster.. 

One of the benefits of using limiters is that they can be over-ridden if you run into problems down wind.. of course if you do reactivate then you score a zero..

Hi Martyn (and John!),

Do you have dates in mind already for this competition in the NW area? I could be tempted to come over from North Wales...!

John Minchell

Didn't know you fancied me Martyn!

With two weekends at Buckminster in June and July already booked, the cancelled Barkston Radio Nationals weekend in August looks a possibility.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I've just stumbled across this thread.

It's now short notice but if anyone is interested we are holding a casual style (non BARCS) competition for f3/f5 RES models near Shrewsbury in Shropshire this Sunday 22nd August.

Details are on events page at www.fxres.co.uk

Many thanks
Martin

• Like 1