Sign in to follow this  
Darren_O

FW190 and Spitfire PSS build

Darren_O

Having attended a PSSA meeting on the Orme I decided a PSS model should be added to the hangar. I wanted some experience with traditional balsa modelling as well so I went looking for kits and plans.

Somehow I ended up with these two half finished airframes in exchange for a careworn £10 note. Too cheap to pass up...

They've been part built so it's mainly sanding, shaping and filling holes where engines were. 

I'll add to this as the builds move along. Any tips or help greatly accepted. It'll be slow going, I hadn't planned on so many mouldies ending up on the workbench as well...

I'm no rivet counter, so scale accuracy isn't high up the list. If they fly I'll be happy..

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

• Like 2

pete beadle

Well found Darren

As a long-time purchaser of power models I converted to PSS I commend you:yes:

If you're not to bothered about scale fidelity, can I suggest you refine your future purchases to lightweight structures with non-scale (more) wing area?

For me, the best source of "cheapie" PSS subjects is "bin-jobs" of little RTF electric models sold by HobbyKing, Staufenbiel and such, where the open structure balsa/ply and even foam construction requires better soaring performance to compliment their little leccy motors

Which models do I mean? - U2 spyplanes, Fourniers, EDF jets other than the F104A Starfighter  and other similar subjects......

The best PSS model I ever owned was a dinky little plastic-fuselaged low wing copy of a generic commercial light aircraft, called a Kyosho "Petit Robin". I removed the brushed motor/ESC and ni-cad power battery, oh, and prop from it, put a 1000mAh NiMh battery in the nose and chucked it off a hill, several hills in fact. I bounced it off slopes all over the South East until it was cut in half by a Zagi carrying ballast playing about at F3F.......owing me absolutely nothing......:D

Happy days indeed........

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

Scram

I was never sure that Star fighters actually had wings.  Probably why so many of the German ones fell out of the sky  :(

Darren_O

Painting or covering...what are the recommended methods. Done a bit of reading and I'm none the wiser as to the best method. I can use a covering iron (just) but shiny film just won't look right.

Looks are not overly important but durability is. Could I use a skin of glass cloth then paint or will that be too heavy? My local slope is the Orme so lift is not scarce.

Many thanks

oipigface
3 hours ago, Darren_O said:

Could I use a skin of glass cloth then paint or will that be too heavy? 

That's what I am doing with my Graecalis, but it is a big model and can probably handle an extra pound or two. Give me two or three weeks to finish the wings, and I should be able to give an estimate of the weight penalty. Alternatively, you might try asking the professionals - Phil at Fighter Aces springs to mind. His web site has excellent advice on how to do the skinning properly.  If you do consider a glass/paint finish be prepared to spend a LOT of time on it, and a lot of money on abrasives. You are also likely wind up with overdeveloped elbow muscles.

How big is the model?

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Darren

I use always use Solarfilm on my PSS's and either spray it with a thin coat of MATT fuel proofer or spend a few hours rubbing down the upper surfaces with a mixture of talc and water and a clean cloth/rag to get the shine off......no need to do the undersurfaces, they need to glint in the sun for the light blue to be visible in the summer (remember them?) sunshine......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

oipigface

12 hours ago, pete beadle said:

...spend a few hours rubbing down...

...so whatever you choose you get lots of elbow exercise!

• Like 1

chiloschista

Cool builds!

My actual preferred covering material is japan paper, lacquer etc. Very durable and not last: stiff. I went back from a lot of thermoretractable covered planes, to old school as this get way better results. I did also a combat, nitro powered Spitfire, with the fuselage covered with paper and the wing covered with fiberglass, worked almost like fabrics. Weight is almost the same as other methods. You can find it in the Welsh fest thread or here.

Btw way I have a 3D printed Spitfire on my work bench, waiting the big decision: powered or PSS (leaning toward the last)?

Ric

• Like 1

Bobbyr

Solartex for the win Imho

Bob

• Like 1

Darren_O

Both planes have ailerons moved using bent rods from a single servo in the fuselage. Thinking of mounting a 9g servo in the wings instead, just so it's a bit more precise. Seems to be a bit of slop and poor engineering in the current single servo solution. 

A HXT900 in each wing isn't going to break the bank. Would it do the job? It's only a small aileron.

chiloschista

Obviously the two servos solution is more elegant, but the one servo works more than enough for those planes. I have four finished combats around and only one with two servos, just because it is a Spitfire with half wing ailerons and did not want long torsion bars.

HXT900 works great, but I would prefer Turnigy MG, especially for the slope. A little bit more expensive, but still at a ridiculous price, more rapid and metal geared.

Ric

• Like 1

oipigface

Elegant is better!

• Like 1

AndyM

How did you get on with these Darren?  Hope to see them ready to go soon - are you attending the PSSA meet on the Lleyn Peninsula?

Darren_O

I've glassed the wing and sanded down, not sure about the Lleyn meet. My problem is I fly three or more times a week so little bumps and knocks keep filling my workshop time. 

Too much slope time, did I really just say that was a problem?? :)  

• Like 1