Sign in to follow this  
Tony Beckett

1st Mosquito 14 Day Challenge of 2017

Tony Beckett

Phil said "Looking forward to 2017 challenges now!"
So here is the thread, ready to go, although looking at the forecast it won't be this week.

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your  Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Please post your times as follows:-. Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, model name, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. Previous challenges for 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 can be seen at www.f3k.uk

• Like 1

Reggie Perrin

Frosty start...

Clear skies...

No wind..

Elf is on charge and the steam is already rising from the rapidly thawing grass, I think today is shaping up to be a good day to be 'working from home'..!

StraightEdge

Early afternoon was ideal for dead-air trimming and catching practice.  Barely a zephyr and although I espied a kite up very high, who must have floated up there somehow, the bottom few rungs were missing from the thermal ladder.

Dead air best 0:57secs!

Jonathan

Tony Beckett

Reggie Perrin

It was a glorious day here.

not a breath of wind all morning and the sun beaming down. I'd added just another gram of nose weight to the elf to try and get it to be a tiny bit more positive on the rudder when flying very slowly. The Kapton tape wipers are all fitted now as well and have made a big difference. I have a neat technique for doing this that doesn't need talc or micro balloons, I'll share it elsewhere.

Anyway, by 11am, the sun was warming things nicely and I placed myself in the middle of two football pitches, with a tarmac path running between them. Lots of flights just bobbing around and then managed to hook into a small patch of positive air over the path. Nothing amazing but took me back to a full launch height then petered out... Back to the same path and there's another little bubble.. Up to launch height again...

Three times I struck lucky with this little bubble, giving a really satisfying few minutes of scratching about..

Alan Perrin  19th January   Elf  02:26

Tony Beckett

aatimes.jpg

Here in Melton we have had two days running with complete cloud cover and drizzle......

Tony

StraightEdge

Nice one Alan.

• Like 1

Phil C

Stunning day for it

Got out at midday for an hour, very calm but difficult to stay in lift, probably my out of practice fingers! Managed lots of 1:40's to finally stay in lift for 2:41.

Imagine this will soon be beaten by a certain J Whitmore with the vela ;)

Phil Carter Strike 2  20/1/17  2:41

Whitmore

Unfortunately not :huh: I did throw all knee related caution to the wind for an attempt on Alan's time but to no avail. Very nice day to be flying and several flights in the vicinity of 2 minutes but no cigar. Ho Hum. Flying The Barge afterwards in the Hi Start Challenge revealed serious lift up high... and how I really need a proper F3-RES to stick with it ;)

• Like 1

Reggie Perrin

Out again today as I was flight testing some students.

The field was flat calm and sunny but only 1 degree centigrade. I launched quite a few times for a friend who was having his first flight of a DLG with my elf. We found some patches that weren't strong lift but could extend the glide if flown gently. launch heights were really good and the trim is now spot on...

I launched into a good patch but could only nurse it to a 1:45 at best.

So, no better times to update but a nice mornings flying....

StraightEdge

Well done Phil..!

The Oxfordshire vale day was beautifully bright, but my late morning skive to the playing fields behind the health centre yielded only a kestrel perching on the grass wondering why on earth I was bothering.  Nowt organic in the skies and, despite an attempt at 'sloping' off the rugby clubhouse roof and high-risk dodging of trees along the border and telephone lines and above the allotments, my only achievement was to wind up a few manic dogs and so spike my adrenalin levels in having to catch the Elf before it was gobbled each time!

Jon

Tony Beckett

Martin Church

Any link to rules etc for these challenges? To elaborate a little, vario y/n Start time from let go or top of climb etc? 

Reggie Perrin

This is what I stick to..

"This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your  Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring."

I don't run a vario in the elf as it'll bee too heavy..

For what it's worth, I start my times from the top of the launch.

Alan

• Like 1

StraightEdge
17 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

For what it's worth, I start my times from the top of the launch.

Alan

In my case its somewhere between release and the top of the launch, depending on how fast or slow my left-forefinger to addled-brain connection can react.  I've always assumed that the flight technically starts when the model is released, but the time difference of 1-2 seconds is negligible in this 'fun' challenge.

If I recall correctly, when I achieved my only really decent thermal-action with the Elf early last summer (8:07 according to my rozzer's notebook), I forgot to flip the timer-switch for several seconds after the bunt, so just added a modest guess of three or four seconds back on.

PS I fitted a tiny HobbyKing recording altimeter just in front of the battery, which downloads via a small bluetooth adaptor to a smartphone... so I now know how pants my launch heights are!

• Like 1

Tony Beckett

Martin queried rules for the challenges.

Such "rules" as there are appear in italics at the bottom of the first post in each challenge. (Alan quoted these.)

Start times for Mosquito and F3K Challenge are when the model leaves your hand. 
This is fine if you have someone timing for you. I normally fly by myself and turn the timer on at the top of the launch once the model has slowed down. Be interested to hear how anyone arranges to start timing at the launch moment when flying solo. Depends on how the timer on your transmitter can be programmed. Is there a smart phone that counts rotations and then picks up the final "fling" to start a timer? Or perhaps by sound from the "grunt" at actual launch time?

Start times for 2m Hi-Start are "when line releases from the towhook" as in the "rules".

"vario y/n". They are not permitted in any of the r/c glider competitions I know about. However I would be curious to hear from anyone attempting the challenge with a vario used. How much did it help? Was it useful low down in the tiny bubbles? Perhaps see how many people use a vario and the advantage given before deciding "no"?

Tony

• Like 1

Martin Church

Cheers Tony I hadn't spotted the rules in the first post if this challenge.

Now armed with a little more knowledge I can start to get some practice in.

Cheers everyone

Martin

Reggie Perrin

On my elf, I don't have a timer function programmed into the memory so simply hit the stopwatch start on my phone once the aircraft has settled at the top of the launch. Ok, so I may miss a few seconds at the very start but it's a fun competition amongst friends so I'm not really bothered.

I may have a look at the vario if i can get one small enough to fit... I have one in each of the NXT Streams for practice.

I'm happy though with the Elf, I'm getting consistent 35m to 40m launches with ease. Probably wouldn't want the vario to disappoint me...!! 

StraightEdge
2 hours ago, Martin Church said:

Now armed with a little more knowledge I can start to get some practice in.

Cheers everyone

Martin

What's your mount?

Jon

Martin Church
6 minutes ago, StraightEdge said:

What's your mount?

Jon

An elf at present but I have preordered an ArmSoar Mini Go. Hope it conforms to the rules it is under 1 metre span.

Martin