Sign in to follow this  
pete beadle

Heavy Duty bubblewrap for wing bags etc

pete beadle

Hi all

Can I ask other forum members where they get their bubblewrap wing bag material from?

Several of my wing bags are reaching the "needing urgent replacement" stage at the same time this year, and I want to replace them with tougher, heavier duty bubblewrap

Thing is, I've got loads of light duty bubblewrap but know, by bitter experience, that this is useless for wing bags that will lead a hard life, and double as storage bags.

My bags made from hike mats are doing reasonably well, although some need their Duck/duct tape edging replaced, but it's the ones made from small-bubble plastic that I'm needing to replace.......so, any maker/supplier/stockist names please?

BTW, before you ask, yes, I have used aluminised radiator insulation but don't find it as east to work with as HD bubblewrap:no:

Over to you chaps, with thanks in advance :yes:

Pete

BARCS1702

czorzella

Bill, I can't help to find a source in UK, because I live in a another country, but I want to share how I did my wing bags yesterday using Kraft Bubble Paper AKA as DuraKraft. Note that I used no tape on the corners.

Carlos

IMG_8785.JPG

IMG_8787.JPG

IMG_9202.JPG

IMG_9203.JPG

IMG_9209.JPG

IMG_9210.JPG

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

Try Homebase. They used to have some very nice silvered foam. Same as used by Baudis etc. In the heating dept. 

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Scram

Yes, Google IS an easy tool BUT both of the examples you suggest are large bubble, perhaps I didn't specify I wanted small bubble......... to replace the worn out small bubble bags.........clearly enough?

I need SMALL bubble, heavy duty/gauge bubblewrap

Thanks anyway though, I'll refine my search criteria.......

Regards

Pete

severngoose

Pete , I find small bubble wrap at my local garden centre & very cheap.

I must say however that with these materials the wretched ailes & flaps always snag.

Onward & upward !

Tim

Scram
4 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Scram

Yes, Google IS an easy tool BUT both of the examples you suggest are large bubble, perhaps I didn't specify I wanted small bubble......... to replace the worn out small bubble bags.........clearly enough?

I need SMALL bubble, heavy duty/gauge bubblewrap

I had no idea there was small and large bubble wrap.  I had assumed heavy duty would mean the bubbles are between two contiguous sheets of polythene so no bubbles to snag aileron and flap corners.

pete beadle

Hi Mike

Is that different from the aluminised radiator wall insulation I can get from B&Q, Homebase? you describe.......

Severngoose, I think that cheap stuff from the garden centres I've been trying to use, it's terrible isn't it? Snags and tears at every opportunity....apparently it's for filling up empty space in boxes and packets, and is intended to be "one-use" only

I've got one set of bags (C/P AND 2 tips) that is at least five years old, that is made from quite heavy duty plastic material, that I'd hoped one or more of you guys may be using currently(?), it's thick gauge plastic with small bubbles, that comes in one metre wide reels, with sealed edges about 25mm wide that would be ideal......unfortunately there's no makers name or advertising on it.......anyone recognise anything similar perhaps?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

pete beadle

Hi Scram

Yes indeed, as I understand it. the different specifications for what we loosely call bubblewrap are related to the gauge/thickness of material and what type of plastic it is made from, plus its cushioning effect before bursting, smoothness/anti-slip of exterior covering, waterproofing qualities, colours and several other variable combinations depending on what it is intended to be used for

That's why I asked what other members were actually using and what they thought of that particular type - hopefully sporting a maker's name and, even more hopefully what they (the manufacturer) calls it........mebbe even a Kitemark and/or a BSI number......now that would be good.....

Trouble is, that most Far Eastern manufacturers simply don't use it for packaging anymore, if they ever did...... 

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

Mikeb52

Hi Pete,

you should try flooring underlay. It's the stuff that is used under click style laminate flooring. It has a thin cushioning one side, and a silver foil on the other. They stock it at homebase. It seems similar to the type the commercial wing bags are made of. I use it and it's great.I think it's 10 metres long by 1 metre wide, about 20 beer tokens. 

Mike Bleathman :)

isoaritfirst

Vitrex flooring underlay. 

Just found it on the Homebase web site. 

It is a lot different to the radiator insulation which I advise you to stay away from. That stuff is hard and will scratch surfaces as well as it leeves aluminium residue on anything it rubs against. It's also not nice to handle. 

I haven't bought any of the Vitrex but I did look at it in the shop some time ago. It is the correct soft material that many European manufacturers use for their wing bags. 

Bags are made with stitched tape edges for longevity. 

Not sure how a domestic sewing machine would cope. 

Suggest you have a close look and consider before any purchase. 

pete beadle

Hi Mike

Thanks for this I really do appreciate it:yes::)

Trouble is, if you remember, I was asking whether members used bubblewrap at present,  and, if so, what type they used......

However, just so's you know, I have also been contacted direct by an ISA member, who says he now buys the wing bags that RCRCM (and a few others) sell rather than bubblewrap and thinks, as I do, that there is a market out there for a "basic" wing bag, a "no frills" bag to suit cheapskates such as myself, that is 1.65 metres long, 10.5" wide, slightly tapered, but not "handed" i.e shaped to fit left and right panels, for two-panelled wings, that doesn't have handles, names, contrasting colour stitching and so on, that could be made from the flooring underlay material that Mike and MikeB52 are directing me to - a sort of Aldi version for M&S buyers - as well - good idea?

That however is an idea for the future, at the moment I'm hoping I can get one or two, two-line replies saying "Yes, I use**********bubblwrap, I get it from my local***********shops and it's good/average/poor and I think that this is what you need"

Please don't think I am just brushing aside your replies but, at the moment, I want to replace my worn out bubblewrap based bags with the same material, if I can find out what it is, or another type of bubblewrap that other members are currently using successfully:D

Perhaps none of you use bubblewrap any more?......... but it's the ones who still do, that I need to hear from......now, have I put that across without offending those who have replied? - I hope I haven't caused any offence, if I have its completely unintentional......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

isoaritfirst

stuff you then :P

or your wings to be more precise.

trouble with bubble is it doesn't protect against the raging sun that we have suffered with over the last few years.:sweat:

on its plus side it can be welded together easily, and is rainproof 

My name is Mike and i use bubblewrap.

I'm thinking of making coasters out of it.

Would be great for board meetings

- drink the coffee at the start of the meeting

- then pop the bubbles half way through.. 

could be a life saver

• Like 1

pete beadle

Ooh posh!

Your board meetings have coasters do they?

and do you get to wear a collar and tie in your meetings......when you're not wearing them under the raging sun you mention?

Ah yes, meetings, I remember them fondly.....especially when the sun was shining, the sky was blue and white fluffy clouds could be seen moving past.....complete with birds circling in thermal.....ah yes, lovely.....and with me in my collar and tie. surrounded by neat stacks of reports.......dreaming about retirement......yep, those were indeed the best days of my life!:D

Yours, tongue firmly in cheek, but NEVER popping bubblewrap..........:no:

Pete

BARCS1702 

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi all

I'm currently researching clear plastic carpet/lino/underlay by driving round the various DIY "sheds" locally and literally getting my hands on their limited variety of stock.....and of knowledge about their stock!:)

Thanks Mike for revealing your dark secret,( that you still use bubbly wrap) BUT, still no replies from other members as to whether they still use bubblewrap by choice, or have found something different/better 

Also, I've had a second mail from a member admitting his guilty secret, that he buys "pre-owned", quality, custom made bags, not just for preference but for "bling" factor, and is well pleased with the relative costs of used bags in comparison to new ones for that reason......still not enough about bubblewrap users though.......:no:

Please keep on replying bubblewrap users..........pretty please......:)

Pete

BARCS1702

Just seen these in Tesco - camping mats on sale at £2.50 a pop. Reflective on one side, foam on t'other. Not exactly bubble wrap - but might just be worth experimenting with...

Alex

IMG_0506.JPG

isoaritfirst

I found camping mat is too heavy. I always worried that it was putting pressure onto surfaces and potentially leading to twisted surfaces. 

The alu foil is a very harsh surface that will scratch your models. It also leave alu smears on thinks. 

The underfloor stuff I linked to earlier is the right weight and a soft finish. 

But for some reason Pete wants bubble wrap. Think he has a fetish. 

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Mike

Camping mats a fetish, surely not - but popping the bubbles is therapy:yes:

So bad is my need for a fix of bubblewrap that I've already taken two sets of bags to bits, and replaced the side and corners strips with new Duck/duct tape to rejuvenate them......not a fetish yet, but close.......I've definitely got too many planes!.......

Can't find the mats at Tesco at £2.50 a pop but still looking for Vitrex supplies locally to test..........

Come on chaps SURELY there's at least one more member out there prepared to follow Mike and admit he "bubblewraps" (verb/adj) to bubblewrap)

Pete

BARCS1702