UK F3K Eurotour & World Cup 2017

tonym

Almost the last thing I do before going for a lie down - I'm bushed! My thanks go to everyone that flew the competition and to everyone that helped out over the weekend.

Well done to Arjen van Vark for some consistently excellent flying to win.

I'll post all the round scores in a day or two.
Tony

final_result.png

• Like 2

Maria Freeman

Well done Tony M. for organising and running the competition ,....... Very much appreciated.

You deserve a medal !

Take care...

Maria

Many thanks Tony and all those who helped make it a great weekend.

Great atmosphere, competition and banter.

thanks to Mike C, Neil and Mike F for helping get my ballast fixed.  Will bring more next time.

oh and Simon and Carlos for finding my camera!

Home and had a much desired shower. Had a fantastic weekend, thank you once again Tony. And great catching up with our European friends. Well flown Arjen!  

Thank you Tony for organising and running such a brilliant comp. Had a fantastic weekend and look forward to next year's extravaganza. Safe trip home to all the Europeans too.

Richard Swindells

The most enjoyable UK euro-tour so far. Really useful for me do discover how costly some gaps in my preparation on the day can be. Luckily a strip down and repair of my tx on Sunday helped get things back on track for the final 2x rounds. 

Congratulations to Arjen and loet, this year was a convincing win for the away team! 

thechalster

Great weekend flying in tricky conditions testing the best pilots.  Well done to all who flew, special congratulations to Athens, loet and Richard.  

Thank you to Tony and the rest of the team for putting on a great event, it was so enjoyable,  low stress atmosphere  and still very competitive.

See ya all next year.

• Like 1

TonyHickson

Yep, had a great time as always! Thanks to Tony for putting on a brilliant competition. Gianmaria went away convinced he needs to come back next year with some Italian friends to try out some UK weather and hospitality, so hopefully we'll have a few more next time!

• Like 2

Great video! Thanks for sharing what some of us missed 😏 

Hope to get to another comp soon! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the video cirrus RC - appreciate the skill and effort in doing the editing to capture the atmosphere of the weekend so well in just 5 minutes.   I particularly liked the way we were allowed to see the whole of that Stern save where he was circling below tree height behind the hedge some of the time (0:06-1:18).  So many now follow the MTV-invented style of constant chopping around.

• Like 2

Thoroughly enjoyed watching the event on Saturday and the film is excellent.
Shame I'm too old to do one of those discus thingumajigs.

Peter Ley

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kikapu said:

..... Shame I'm too old to do one of those discus thingumajigs. ...

I'm 67 - my attempt at a launch is at 3:14 in the video.  (I was tired - I can do a little better than that sometimes.....) . We've had folks aged 70+ doing well in the past.

I still enjoy competing but even if I didn't fly in contests, I can't think of another form of model flying where, once  the model is finished, you can have so much satisfying flying against the elements in such a small space with so little wasted time.  The assembled glider fits in the back of the car ( under the baggage cover) with the Tx - that's all you need.  Within moments of getting to your site, you can be flying a world class model to its full potential.  I have had hour+ flights on the best days only ten minutes from home.  It's silent, it's 'green' and it's addictive in a good way.

Even if you only launch to 15-20 metres, lift can be found and worked.  I specked out from 4 metres once.  Perhaps someone will let you try their model - ask around locally.

• Like 5

Have to get both hips replaced first, mikef.  All those hurdle races in my youth didn't help, I'm afraid.  
I was thinking about you folks today.  We've had marvellous gliding weather over the last two days.  Shame it came 3 days too late for you and the F3K competition. 

• Like 1

@mikef   thanks Mike - glad you enjoyed the video.   Very much enjoyed Mikes low level save - could watch that all day long.     Richard also had an impressive save near the trees - I only caught the end of the flight where he appears to defy gravity in making it back to the box.    

@mikef enjoyed reading your words around f3K  - very much on par with my reasons for loving the discipline so much.

@Kikapu Peter, shame I missed you.   I could have picked your brains about the Orion.   Do please let me know if you will be at future comps.

David

Loet Wakkerman
33 minutes ago, Kikapu said:

Have to get both hips replaced first, mikef. 

I have both hips replaced. Works very fine for F3K. Good luck.

• Like 4

Thanks Loet, but in my dotage I prefer F5J/Bartlett's - and it's a lot cheaper.
In respect of hip operations, I have a friend who ended up with one leg longer than the other.  As a result when he walks to his local shop he finds it easier to use the road camber to help him (not the pavement).  He walks to the shop on one side of the road and returns on the other side.  That worries me.
Perhaps I ought to have the operation in Holland.
Peter  

• Like 1