Lake District Slope Soaring

Lakes Flyer

Hi all,
       I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Alan Bellis and I have lived in the lakes near the bottom end of Windermere since 2008. I have flown RC for almost 30 years at club level - never competed but one day may be. My first rc plane was a second hand Impala which I taught myself to fly off the slopes of Moel Famau, as I grew up in Wales.I fitted it with a cheap 27mhz 2 channel set and had hours and hours of fun. I have loved slope soaring ever since. I have owned IC and electric planes over the years but it's the simplicity of slope soarers that really appeals to me. If anyone out there is ever in the lakes, feel free to pm me and we can meet up. Gummers Howe (seen in my avatar) is on my doorstep and is only a 10 minute climb! It's a great slope with an amazing view but I've never seen anyone else flying up there which is a real shame. If anyone can recommend any more populated sites in the lakes I'm also happy to drive a fair way if it means I can meat up with other slopers.
Looking forward to some good flying in 2017!

Alan  

Hi Pete, I am quite new to forums but I am sure I will get the hang of it. Hopefully I can direct members to some good slopes when the visit the lakes. I am still discovering them! 

Rgds

Alan (feeling valued :-)

Hello Pete there are a few of us who fly at kirkby Thore aerotowing and electric powered gliders , also we fly at a couple of slopes near there you are more than welcome to pop over . Cheers Stephen 

Thanks very much Pete. Myself and a colleague from work have agreed to go and visit Stephen and Co. when the weather improves. Really looking forward to meeting some other slope soaring enthusiasts and finding new slopes. The site is great and I am sure I speak for all of us when I say how much we appreciate it. 

Best Regards

Alan 😀

• 2 years later...

Hi all. Hope this post gets seen!!!  Friend and i are intending  to have a days sloping in the lake district  once the weather improves. (Optimist! ) . Can we contact any of you local guys for advice please?

Alastair

SilentPilot

I frequent the Lakes quite a bit, family friends on the West side over by Workington, I've often admired the hills on my way there but never flown anything on them.

The fastest route takes me up the A1 then across the A66. It's quickest but a boring drive, if we're not in a rush I prefer the A65. Been to KL on my bike a few times too... now if I could fit a pack on the bike I could combine the two!!!

Hmm... Sunbird packs down nicely... just where to put the transmitter? 

Bike security could be an issue too :( 

Tony

ifonlyitwaseasy

Tony, Try Bewaldeth if you are on your way to Workington, on the A591 at the NW end of Binsey.  A nice hill for a SunBird

• Like 1

SilentPilot

I’ve done similar closer to home walking, maybe rambling, but definitely not climbing up Simon’s Seat and Burnsall Fell.
The views are amazing there too! No hut that I can remember though...

Sunbird packs into a very small holder, so small there is no room for a transmitter.
I might get a slightly larger bag ;) 

1 hour ago, SilentPilot said:

I’ve done similar closer to home walking, maybe rambling, but definitely not climbing up Simon’s Seat and Burnsall Fell.
The views are amazing there too! No hut that I can remember though...

Sunbird packs into a very small holder, so small there is no room for a transmitter.
I might get a slightly larger bag ;) 

Hi. There used to be a slope flyin on the may and august bank holiday weekends.  I gather this no longer takes place.  Meeting place was at the castle inn north of keswick. A few of us went to one a few years ago. Unfortunately,no wind!! We went back up to one of our own slopes and had a great days flying!  i live just south of glasgow so north cumbria is a confortable 2 hour drive.

ifonlyitwaseasy

Flyin still happens on the May and August Bank Holidays, meet Castle Inn on A591 and directions posted there.

• 1 month later...
Lars Brinck

Hi ,  

My name is Lars Brinck and I live in Stockholm, Sweden - and I´m a slope addict.

My wife is taking me to Lake district second week in july and I am to keep myself occupied during the days. So we´ll see how many airframes I can pack :). Would be fun to meet up with local slopers or if anyone could share some sites here.

AND - any advice about national and local regulations for foreigners would be much appreciated! I´m insured as a member of Swedish Air Sport Federation, but rules of where and where not to fly is - I guess - different from Sweden.

Also advice of what planes to bring would be appreciated. 3m F3F is fun in the right circumstances but 1m planks could be just as fun...

Lakes Flyer

Hi Lars, where abouts in the lakes will you be staying? Might be able to meet up for a fly if it's near enough. I live at the bottom end of Lake Windermere but happy to travel a bit 😀

Alan

Alastair S

Hi Alan i see you have picked up on Lars message. Leave you to it.

Lars.....i am a visiting later this month. Not a local!!!   Hope you  manage to get some flying done!!

Alastair.

Lars Brinck

Hi Alan, I will be staying in Witherslack 6-8 july, the whereabouts of the other days I don´t know yet. Would be great if we could fly! So far I had recommendations on "Catbells"(?) on Facebook and then I found this site http://www.cumbriasoaringclub.co.uk/SiteManagement/CSC_GoogleMapSites.php# - which looks very promising. The pictures on their site looks astonishing! Are rc-gliders welcome at the paragliders fly-spots or what relation  do you have to them?

Writing this I saw a picture from Catbells and I got very excited! Looks like a perfect site for flying and perhaps DS... 

Lars Brinck
3 hours ago, Alastair Strang said:

...i am a visiting later this month. Not a local!!!   Hope you  manage to get some flying done!!

Hope you get some flying done too! Please post some pics if you go visiting. Seems like a beautiful place to fly!