1975 FF world champs

martynk

In the latest BMFA news, Mike Woodhouse has noted a You Tube video from the 1975 world champs in Bulgaria. Although the quality is not good and it's silent I found it great to watch. Also pretty sure I saw a younger mikef in there. Lots of well known names from days when a glass fibre fus and a KSB DT timer were deemed high tech. Well worth a watch imho. The correct link is here

Very happy days imho. 

• Like 1

You're right - I was there - it was my first champs  I think I'm holding John Boon's F1A model when I briefly appear.

We met at Victoria Station and travelled to Bulgaria by train.  Chatting at the station, the talk soon turned to the weather we could expect - apparently it would be hot - shorts and Tee shirts.  I hadn't thought about the temperature and realised I hadn't packed any shorts!  Fortunately there was a Government surplus shop opposite the station and I was able to buy a pair.  It went better after that.

42 years ago now...

• Like 2

I think that I saw Phil? Ireland as well With union jacks as well Mike. 

Weather   It certainly looked hot and very little protection for either models or people .

i recognised quite a few of the big names although  I was trying to work out who was flying what I think was the Espada near the end  

Now waiting for part 2 - the FiC event  

They were the best days of free flight I think  🤓

Around 2:18 - it's John Cooper trying to flap Boon's model with two UJs - I'm in there with the umbrella too I think.  We had shelters to get out of the sun but they were airless heavy canvas tents - it was hotter inside than out in the sun!

Here's a photo' taken on the channel ferry.  John Cooper's hair is shorter these days - he's in blue in the middle.  I got the picture from the Late Bill Hartill's book - Bill's the one with the leather shoulder bag at the left.

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...

And anyway, I was much better looking than John . . here I am on the way to Wiener Neustadt with Pete Stewart and Alan Jack, where I flunked two flights

Alan_J_and_Pete_S.jpg

LOL. John Cooper may not agree with that..   

Now that is a blast from the past.. Nice to see you here.

What are you doing nowadays?

And anyway, I was much better looking than John . . here I am on the way to Wiener Neustadt with Pete Stewart and Alan Jack, where I flunked two flights

6 hours ago, martynk said:

LOL. John Cooper may not agree with that..   

Now that is a blast from the past.. Nice to see you here.

What are you doing nowadays?

Retired.  Lots of motorcycling and cycling.  fascinated by modern F1Cs.  So now you can buy a complete model made by Eugene Verbitski?  I remember at the 1974 worlds hearing his motor stop "instantly".  We all thought it was a conrod letting go until we saw his revolutionary mechanical prop brake!

And it's Winchester England.  It's Phil Ireland . .  You are Mike Fantom right?  Last saw you at Chobham Common before the motorway . .  phew!

Yes it's me.

Going to California again in Feb with Ken F.  I expect Alan J and Russ P will be there too.

Your marker on the member's map is in Winchester, Virginia, USA.

Thanks for the pix - I recognise Beaulieu and Marigny but where's Russell?

Could be Elvington Mike. Very long runway. I remember that Woodpecker, one of his early larger 40 powered versions.

Phil, last time I saw you was at Beaulieu in 1976 I think. You were on a big traillie, possibly an XT500. 

Back to reminiscing again with very happy memories. I loved those days

13 minutes ago, Wilycoyote said:

Could be Topcliffe?

I don't really know. I will have to Google earth it to earn my anorak for today. It was 1977 i think, not 76 that i saw you on the bike. 

• 3 weeks later...

Phil, great to hear from you again after all this time! The power model I am "launching" in your photo was not mine! Amusing that John Hook is still flying the very same F1C he flew all those years ago! Very sad to see pics of those that are no longer with us particularly Pete. Eugene is now in his 80's but still flying. Much details missing perhaps we will get an opportunity to catch up.  Must be a close call on Beauty between yourself and Coopertuned! Photo is not topcliffe - hills don't look right. Surprised that we were "taking refreshments" in such a posh establishment en route to Weiner Neustadt!

• Like 1