altidsulten

Soaron Sunshine

altidsulten

I've got an old Soaron Sunshine fuselage pod and tail from an estate sale, nothing more than those couple of glassfiber pieces, no drawings, no wings...

Would it be worth it to chase down a drawing and build a set of wings?

altidsulten

Read in an old "Soarer" that Trevor Blackwell used to sell drawings for it.

I just can't find any contact info on him. Anyone who knows how i can get in contact with him?

pete beadle

Hi Altidsulten

I had a 140" version of this Roy Garner design back in the day, but found it too light for most comps

As I remember, the fuselage was a white two-piece pod and glass (Ronytube?) boom with the pod having  a narrow canopy access(?) also, the material the pod was made from didn't impress me very much......it always seemed quite fragile......

I know I'm horribly biased but, in preference I'd go for a Proton 140 and use lightweight 100" wings for your pod and boom making it an ultralight "scratcher" for calm days.......not something we get a lot of in the UK........the phrase "not making a silk purse out of a sow's ear" comes to mind.......

Still, as always, it's up to you.....what do you want? A Soaron Sunshine replica, or a low-cost R/E soarer which will probably be a bitsa? If its the former, I think you're at the start of a long road.........

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

ps I've just read this back and it now seems a bit on the negative side......I hope it won't put you off, whatever you choose to do 

Nicholls

I have asked a friend who knows him and will come back to you with any response.

• Like 1

Nicholls

Hej altidsulten

I have Trevor's telephone number and will contact him on Monday and get back to you.

I still have the 100" version I bought second hand in the 80's and I won the UK Kent League with it when loaded with ballast!

Nicholls

Hej Thomas, (I have seen your other forum post)

I have spoken to Trevor and this is the situation. He will by Friday have checked to see if any plans other than the master he has for both the 126 and 139 inch wingspan versions (on 1 plan) are available. If not he expects to be able to get someone to copy the master at a small cost and if you agree this could be posted to you. Out of interest what is the approximate length of the boom you have?  

Venlig hilsen

• Like 1

altidsulten

Thank you very much Ian,

I have sent you a PM

Nicholls

Successful conclusion!

Thomas in Denmark got the plans yesterday thanks to a great bunch of modellers including Trevor Blackwell, his unnamed friend who got them copied and Ray Gadenne in Essex who passed them onto me at a competition in Kent so I could post them.

We'll all looking forward to see the photo early next year.

Sunshine plans.JPG

• Like 1