Sign in to follow this  
Tony Beckett

2nd F3K 14 Day Duration Challenge

Tony Beckett

Simon said:-
"After a couple of weeks away with work and poor weather I got out this lunchtime for a short session.  There were some bubbles of lift about and I expected to be able to get away properly but in the end the model was going downwind quicker than up!  Best flight to start off the 2nd challenge is 3.01.  Most flights were around the 2 -2 1/2 minute mark.

Simon Jones, F3K, 3.01, 07.02.17

I was out at Melton and like Simon thought the conditions looked better than they actually were, comfortable Winter flying though. I was out for a couple of hours from mid-day onwards.

Tony Beckett, F3K, 3:49, 07.02.17

aatimes.jpg

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the F3K (up to 1.5m) or Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your F3K or Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Please post your times as follows:-. Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, model name, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. Previous challenges since 2012 can be seen at www.f3k.uk

Richard Swindells

5.11 today in Newport pagnell 

All lift seemed to die out above 60m

Tony Beckett

cirrusRC

Ideal conditions last week but only a frustrating 5:32 - the feathered pro's were killing it.

3 degrees, snow flurries and 10+mph today.   Managed a 6:49.   Most of that was traversing the same area of sky.     Too cold to be fun though.

Conditions looks to be improving next week.

• Like 1

Simon Jones

I got out for half an hour today.  Bumpy lift and sink and plenty of way downwind stuff.  I managed a 9.39 but had to work hard for it...

F3k, 9 mins 39secs, 17.01.17

Simon

MikeDLG

Phew, I was worried when I saw Simon had posted!  It's my birthday today so I took the day off work and being graced with great weather, I went out to fly for the first time this year.  I defiantly need a lot of practice!  Managed a 17:17 after a couple of 5+min flights. 

F3k 17mins 17secs 17.02.17

• Like 1

Marin Mitev

Happy birthday Mike. I wish you perfect health and all the best. My birthday is in few days but I am sure my manager won't approve a day off and moreover I have nothing to fly at the moment. I need to build my NXT finely. Did you fly NXT or the Flitz?

Marin

cirrusRC

Cracking day for it.  Spring like conditions.   12:00  was my best.    Had a nice flight later on where I got away well off the launch but at 500ft I got a low RSSI warning so abandoned the attempt.   Recently swapped my D4RII for an X4R and appears it is fussy about aerial placement.   First time I've ever had a warning.    Need to play around with the placement before resorting to external aerial or going back to D4RII.

low-rssi.png

cirrusRC
6 minutes ago, i_am_mark_evans said:

Happy birthday Mike! 

Yes Happy Birthday Mike :)

Richard Swindells

Fantastic conditions at my field.. I only get about 30 minutes flying time at lunchtime.. first flight was about 3 minutes.. 2nd flight was 26:46.

3 separate thermals, each taking me to a couple of hundred meters height.

Unfortunately had to cut it short due to running out of time. I'm fairly confident I could have made 40m ins without anymore lift.

MikeDLG

Thanks Richard! Can't even let me win on my birthday! 😄

cirrusRC

Another glorious spring like day.  Bettered my time from yesterday but it doesn't challenge Richard.    Great fun chasing thermals downwind.   Tried a few different aerial positions but still get a low RSSI warning around 550ft and 30 meters on range test.   One aerial is forward into end of pod (shielded by battery), the other is stuck to the inside top of removable canopy.   RSSI warning is set to default of 45 db.  I'm using the International firmware rather than LBT.    Anyone any suggestions?  I'd rather not run them outside of pod if I can help it.

Saying that - I've no idea how I flew my old DLG to 1600ft.  I can only assume my model has shrunk, eyes got worse and balls shrunk!! :)

Redbird

I've not yet used an x4r but my D4rii antennae are roughly placed beside the 1200 1s, full forward in the kevlar nose of the Vortex. I have been meaning to be more careful with positioning because things can't be optimal, what with the altimeter and wires all around the antennas but signal has only faltered by ever giving one low rssi warning. Doubt this helps you but anyway... Good luck with it David.

• Like 1

Simon Jones

It looks like Friday was a red letter day and it was great to see 4 times posted.  Well done to Richard, Mike and Dave for making the better of the conditions.  It's great to have some spring like weather at the moment - I didn't go flying but I gave the Westfield and one of the motorbikes a run this weekend for the first time this year.

Simon

simon_t
1 hour ago, Simon Jones said:

It looks like Friday was a red letter day and it was great to see 4 times posted.  

I was hoping that was going to be the case, and put the DLGs in the car on Friday with the chance of leaving work early.  I was able to get to the club field by 14:15, and it was almost windless, but bright with some cloud, and looked ok.  But it turned out to be absolutely flat.  I was even more frustrated when I read how many people had good conditions that day, but here in Kent it just didn't happen.  I even put the electric thermal soarer up with vario, but no, nothing, straight glide from 200+m.  So I spent the rest of my time practicing launches.  Saturday lunchtime was completely different.  Got away first launch, and after a couple of small thermals got up to around 300m.  Eventually some aeros and a 21 minute flight.  Got the second model out, and away again.  Happiness restored.

Simon

Tony Beckett

Two wins for Richard so far this year as he has now won the 2nd Challenge of 2017

aatimes.jpg

MikeDLG
On 17/02/2017 at 15:02, Marin Mitev said:

Happy birthday Mike. I wish you perfect health and all the best. My birthday is in few days but I am sure my manager won't approve a day off and moreover I have nothing to fly at the moment. I need to build my NXT finely. Did you fly NXT or the Flitz?

Marin

Thanks for the birthday wishes all. I was out with the NXT that day. Get that NXT built Marin!