Sign in to follow this  
Darren_O

Zagi LE

Darren_O

My son's decided to give the hobby a go :) 

So he's starting off with a zagi-le kit he sourced on ebay, bit nimble for a beginner but he'll have some time on a sim before the Orme.

Epoxied the beds together then joined wing halves. Light sanding to give the tape something to key to. Quick dusting of spray adhesive, not too much as it likes to eat foam. 

Then he layed the wing onto the beds ready for taping, this helps the wing stay flat and not warp. LE and TE done first folded over so no join mid edge. Then from TE tape across the wing. Took about three hours to get all the tape on inc the coloured top layer.

Tonight we'll fit elevons and radio gear. Excuse the build table mess, we're just building a new build table/hangar:)

IMG_20170214_185805.jpg

IMG_20170215_233923.jpg

IMG-20170208-WA0012.jpeg

• Like 2

oipigface
2 hours ago, Darren_O said:

Excuse the build table mess...

....doesn't look very messy to me! Best of luck to the lad.

• Like 2

Darren_O

Top finished off, ailerons done. Next some white stripes underneath and fit the radio gear. 

2x HXT900 servos

TGY IA6 RX with RX batt telemetry.

With the rest of the gear being light I may go for a AA RX pack over the recommended AAA. Give him plenty of flight time.

IMG_20170217_101644.jpg

Brett82

Very nice mate. Im glad your son is showing an interest. I used to fly with my dad, full size and Rc and loved it. He doesnt fly anymore and I always wish he was there when Im standing on a slope. 

So far my 10 year old has no interest in planes at all. My 3 year old loves them so hopefully in time at least one of them will join me on the slopes. Enjoy teaching him to fly, Im sure you guys will have loads of fun together. 

• Like 2

Darren_O
6 hours ago, Brett82 said:

Very nice mate. Im glad your son is showing an interest. I used to fly with my dad, full size and Rc and loved it. He doesnt fly anymore and I always wish he was there when Im standing on a slope. 

So far my 10 year old has no interest in planes at all. My 3 year old loves them so hopefully in time at least one of them will join me on the slopes. Enjoy teaching him to fly, Im sure you guys will have loads of fun together. 

Don't give up hope yet, my lad's 19 and this is his first model. Late starter:)

Darren_O

Wish I'd used standard servos now...even with the AA pack it still needs 100g of ballast up front.

Will cut out some slots and fill with shot and lexan repair glue. I don't see many aero modellers using lexan glue. Not sure why, it's superb for foam. Gives a reliable joint and unlike CA/epoxy it's flexible. I find that it flexes with the foam and doesn't give a break line like harder glues. So when you do crash, your model is more likely to flex than snap along the glue line.

Surprised more combat model manufacturers don't recommend it. Can also use it to insulate wires...

IMG_20170221_193738.jpg

oipigface

Sounds a bit like Goop. I don't know how good an insulator Goop is, though.

Darren_O

Goop would be a good description, so might be the same stuff. This one is from CML. 

Had to use tyre weights for ballast, no gun shops to buy shot any more. Two stacks of 40g either side and I'll fine tune CoG with stick on weight before adding more. With 80g in it sits about 7 1/2 from the nose. Instructions say 7".

IMG_20170222_123535.jpg

IMG_20170222_123113.jpg

Darren_O

All up it required 140g to balance. Even with the larger AA pack. If I was to build another I'd use standard sized servos pushed further forward to help the CoG.

Took it up the Orme for it's maiden yesterday, flew lovely. Outpaces my wild thing, penetrates better.

Gave Allan the sticks and grabbed a quick vid. 

• Like 3

pete beadle

Hi Darren

Great vid.....looks like you were really enjoying the results of your build^_^:yes::D

Next time, as well as fitting "standard" servos further forward to help the CG position problem, I'd recommend using hardwood leading edges and a second battery for LED LIGHTS on/in the leading edges  plus maybe a couple of layers of heavy fluorescent Profilm:yes:

Oh, and FYI I rather think that the fitting of standard servos was/is as much a cost solution rather than size or power......foamies like this tend to be landed, how shall we say, less carefully, than other planes and replacing 10 quid standard servos is much less damage to the pocket when/if the inevitable happens!

Anyway enjoy! and, if you're already thinking about getting another one, it looks like you're already enjoying this one ......con mucho gusto!......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

Darren_O

I put the smaller ones in as I keep a few in stock, HXT900  £2.50 each so very much disposable. I wouldn't put them in anything expensive, but I've not had one fail yet in my foamies.
Allan, the lad flying in the vid, had never flown a combat model before so I chucked my Wild Thing up and he didn't fly his own model again all day. He's looking for a Zagi now.

Brett82
On 2/22/2017 at 23:00, Darren_O said:

Had to use tyre weights for ballast, no gun shops to buy shot any more.

H Darren

A bit late to reply to this but have you tried a local fishing shop? I picked up a few different sizes of lead shot from my local shop and it was reasonably priced. Also search fleebay for "Divers Weights". Loads of lead shot dive pouches come up, 1kg (enough for a few models) only £7.50 as an example.

Video looks good, I'm going to have to think about picking one up. I always wanted one but just never got round to actually buying one. Cant see a new Zagi in the UK though, there is a JP listed as a Zagi but not sure if it is a genuine Zagi. SAS do a combo deal where you can select one of the Wildthings or a Venom to go with a Mamba and the prices look good. I might just annoy my wife and get one, or a combo...

Brett

• Like 1

satinet

You might want to look at investing in a roll of code 3 lead flashing. Over the course of your glider career it will work out cheaper than buying lead weights.

Code 3 is the thinnest and is easy to cut with with scissors.  You can also use the lead to make ballast sets and moulded nose weights

Having thin sheet lead that is cuttable and malleable is dead useful for all types of gliders. 

• Like 3

Andy_B

and of course you could always fit 8gauge leading edges :)

• Like 1

Darren_O
1 hour ago, Andy_B said:

and of course you could always fit 8gauge leading edges :)

Or the front bumper off a Mk1 Fiesta, should balance nicely :)

• Like 2