F5RES

martynk

I am having a great time with my F3RES glider, its been very refreshing and enjoyable to build and fly and the performance is far better than I expected. I am of course concerned that the take up on the class is not as great as I would have liked but it is still early days and I still believe that this class is an excellent introduction to traditional thermal soaring (which in the USA and Europe is appealing to the experts as well).

One thing that I have been surprised about is that there has been no comparable E version of the class proposed so I am suggesting the following - to allow the two types of aeroplane to co-exist in a common competition.

Basic F3RES airframe rules are:

1. Wings must be made predominately of wood.

2. Carbon is allowed for spars and local reinforcement.

3. Fuselage boom can be composite but must not extend further forward of 50% of the wing root chord

4. Tail and wing supports and push-rods etc may be composite

5. Only 3 flying functions are permitted - Rudder/Elevator (or combined for a Vee tail) (Max 2 Servos) and Spoilers which must operate simultaneously. No ailerons or flaps or variable camber control.

6. Pod must be predominantly wooden

7. Wingspan 2m maximum projected

8. Tailless models are allowed and they are permitted to be equipped with ailerons for combined directional and pitch control.

For the E version, can I suggest

Max motor run 25 seconds (15 seconds for Postal/Challenge)

Height Limited to 90m (45m for Postal/Challenge)

(This is comparable to launch heights from F3RES models in Germany)

Contest rules would be the same for F3RES (6 minute Max and landing bonus) . However, in a combined event, the 25/15 seconds motor run time would be deducted from the total flight time to maintain a level (no slope soaring) playing field.

This would allow all the existing F3RES kits to be easily modified for those who don't like the idea of a bungee launch.Its not a horsepower race, so equipping a model for this class should be a simple and cheap 2S/250W setup.

Any thoughts on this - or better still anyone preparing to stick their neck out and actually build one (besides me of course :) ) 

Yep, we are looking at 'RES electric' seriously, thats the glider fraternity in the Ipswich club, a couple have been built with excelent results, I am in the process of puting a MadRES together modified to electric.  Created a bit of head scratching and redesign of the pod.  I have had the kit for a couple of months but due to personal circumstances its still in its component form, although I have redrawn the pod.  Looking to build MadRES next week with the bad weather forcasts keeping one in the shed and plenty of time on retired hands

The biggest issue has been coming to terms with the small size and visability at hight.  However the proposals above would solve this issue.

Anticipating the good weather to realy put these 'pocket soarers' through their paces.  We also have an excelent club comp format that would suit these 2m models perfectly, 'All up, last man down'.  Devised by one of our members, it is an excelant format, with improptue sessions called at practice on the club field, as well as the relaxed formal club comps during the summer.  Often held on a Saturday so as to allow pilots who cannot make Sudays as well as giving competative practice and not interfear with area Sunday Open competition.

CJS

• Like 1

Thanks CJS

That sounds exactly like what the FxRES class is all about. Small field flying, club involvement and lots of fun. I wish you all the best with that.

• 4 years later...

Just started building an electric f5res version using the RBC short kit hopefully we might get a few competions in this year.

I know a couple are planned for Buckminster.

There must be a lot being built as most suppliers are out of stock.

Clive Jones

Hi Guys,

What is your experience with model weights for UK conditions? My Ripmax Nebula wing/pod and boom hybrid does not come anywhere near the 500 - 600g quoted weights of the German/Austrian (etc.) models but it still seems to sometimes struggle to get back home after being blown downwind, I have had to give it throttle to penetrate back on several occasions - how are your models in this regard?

BTW mine is about 820g with a 1400 3S onboard.

Clive.