Sign in to follow this  
cirrusRC

Flaperons vs flap + aileron

cirrusRC

I mainly fly DLG, but just about to start putting together a 2.6 meter Nan Orion.    Wondering whether to install all 4 wing servos to operate Flaperon style or 2 dedicated for flap and 2 for aileron.

It won't be a competition machine, instead flat field thermal and fun.    AUW will be between 1500g and 1600g.    Considerations and comparisons would relate to.

i) braking efficiency.

ii) drag efficiency when using entire wing to provide roll.

Is the difference minor or huge?

f3fman

I can't give you a comparison but I can tell you that I fly the 2.6m Orion in what you call Flaperon  mode and the model is a very good compromise between thermaling, speed and aerobatics. I use a little negative flap across the whole wing for speed and aerobatics, and neutral or positive flap across the whole wing when searching for lift or when in lift. 

I have just gone and looked at the wing and clearly there is not much upwards movement available on the flaps (looking at the max mechanical movement available) so I can not be using much aileron coupling on the flaps but I believe I am using a little.

Four and eight point rolls are a joy and rolls are not too draggy. Knowing me I probably have a lot of movement on the ailerons.

The landing with crow brake is very good. I suspect this is the time it is most useful to have the flaperon  when you have crow brake out and need sudden aileron correction when landing.

So, I would go for Flaperon mode.

Hope this is useful.

By way of context, I have been flying radio for 50 years.

• Like 1

satinet

definitely install all four wing servos. There aren't any draw backs. You get both brakes and increased roll efficiency.  Full span ailerons (flaps and ailerons moving the same amount) are less efficient on a big model like that.

I don't really understand what you are talking about as the radio takes care of the mixing.

cirrusRC

Thanks - your right I was talking about full span ailerons.   

satinet

try 30% as much travel on the flaps

• Like 1

cirrusRC
1 minute ago, satinet said:

try 30% as much travel on the flaps

With regards to flap linkages.  Should I be aiming for 90 degrees flap deployment?

satinet

70 or so degrees is fine for your purposes i think.

Approx 10 degrees up and 70 down you will be fine for flapperon and brakes IMHO.

wookman

Don't worry about getting the full 90°, just get as much as you can without straining the servo. Offset the servo arm to help get the movement you need. Remember you are looking for twice or three times the amount of down flap to up flap.

f3fman

I have just measured my flaps, built by someone else. Mechanically speaking I have 10 degrees up flap and 30 degrees down, and it is just fine  :-)

cirrusRC

thanks guys

Simonbadock

I use this function all the time in F3F, flaperons are airfoils with a dual purpose that is normally served by the combination of ailerons and flaps.

SilentPilot
On 24/02/2017 at 19:44, cirrusRC said:

I mainly fly DLG, but just about to start putting together a 2.6 meter Nan Orion.    Wondering whether to install all 4 wing servos to operate Flaperon style or 2 dedicated for flap and 2 for aileron.

I'm not sure what you mean here...

Most transmitters (all?) nowadays let you use mixing.

If you install all four servos in the wing the you can do either. You could setup separate flight modes for full span aileron, flapperon or crow :) 

Tony